Discussion on Versatility | Golden Skate

Discussion on Versatility

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I guess the definition of versatility is in the eye of the beholder ;)

In the past 5-6 seasons, Hanyu has never - IMHO - done but serious and more serious routines, both SP and FS (Parisienne walkways could have been set to, say, Rachamaninoff easily enough). His vocabulary is pretty standard figure skating stuff and there is really no variation of movement whatsoever, Hanyu feels always the same whatever his theme or music is. Chan has tried jazz/lighthearted twice in SP (however, Mack the Knife is a murder ballad and doing a "fun" program to it is just plain wrong) and has tried tango once in SP. In FS Chan is always dead serious with classical style music. He has a very good lyrical style, but does not seem to be able to shed it to do something else.

Javi has done serious opera FS on Verdi (2011-2), serious Zorro SP (2012-3, but does this count as Latin?!), no pantomime lighthearted SP/FSs (I Love Paris 2011-2, Satan etc. 2013-4; Peter Gunn 2013-4). His comedic stuff ranges from slapstick of EX like Aerobics Class, to a character driven slapsticky Pirates to rom-com of Chaplin and more classical opera buffa character in the Barber of Seville. Black Betty is harder to define - but fun with one mime bit (which kind of accentuates the lyric at that point). Last season's programs I particularly appreciate because they took distinct dance styles (flamenco and jazz dance) and put them to skating and maintained the style almost 100%. In Guys and Dolls the mime in the first part is actually lifted from the movie choreo and the dice section compliments the lyrics plus is again a straight reference to the movie (and gives him a few seconds of rest).

In addition to Danny Boy (Worlds EX), Javi did some EX programs in the Japanese Fantasy on Ice tour this summer which were quite different from his usual repertoire (a J-pop crossover style version of Polovetsian Dances and Yoshida Brothers' "Barcelona") as well as Metallica's Nothing Else Matters in Kings on Ice tour. They were ok performances and maybe could have gotten still better with a bit of time and more work. Javi has probably has the potential to do just about anything, but if he does not feel comfortable with the theme/style, it will probably not end up in a competition programme (and this probably applies to just about every skater).

Btw, many people appreciated Mikhail Kolyada's SP last (and this?) season very much and it was actually ripped from Javi's 2010-11 repertoire: the concept, half of the music, much of the choreo and most of the expression...

Just to return to the topic, one of my fave skater/choreographer teams was back in the day Rahkamo & Kokko and Jorma Uotinen who did quite a few of their legendary FDs (Valse Triste particularly).

E

Last edited by a moderator:

kelleigh

On the Ice
If someone feels Hanyu's performance in Étude in D-sharp minor, Op. 8, No. 12 = Notre-Dame de Paris = Parisienne Walkways = Romeo & Juliet = Phantom of The Opera = Ballade No. 1 = Seimei, and some of his transition combinations, lunge, hydroblade, choreographic arrangement, entrances and exits (note that I am not saying these movements in any way belongs to or invented by Hanyu) are standard and no variation of movement, which are the elements that audiences can see in a lot of programs from a number of skaters in a couple of seasons making audiences feeling tired to those elements, then there would be no argument or even discussion (whatever), as long as some people might feel Bangkok in August is freezing. All respect.

Yet I feel sorry for the choreographers, unless someone is saying it's all Hanyu's fault ruining some well-designed programs.

Tbh not all skaters are my cup(s) of tea, but I am not going to deny every single thing and the achievement from them. Just saying.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker

In the past 5-6 seasons, Hanyu has never - IMHO - done but serious and more serious routines, both SP and FS (Parisienne walkways could have been set to, say, Rachamaninoff easily enough). His vocabulary is pretty standard figure skating stuff and there is really no variation of movement whatsoever, Hanyu feels always the same whatever his theme or music is.

http://crankycoder.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/What-Meme-13.jpg

:palmf:

Lambari

Final Flight
In the past 5-6 seasons, Hanyu has never - IMHO - done but serious and more serious routines, both SP and FS (Parisienne walkways could have been set to, say, Rachamaninoff easily enough).

what

His vocabulary is pretty standard figure skating stuff and there is really no variation of movement whatsoever, Hanyu feels always the same whatever his theme or music is. Chan has tried jazz/lighthearted twice in SP (however, Mack the Knife is a murder ballad and doing a "fun" program to it is just plain wrong) and has tried tango once in SP. In FS Chan is always dead serious with classical style music. He has a very good lyrical style, but does not seem to be able to shed it to do something else.

How can one possibly even know what does he feels during the program? :scratch3: Maybe you meant what you feel watching him and I'm misinterpreting the wording? Then it makes sense, not that I particularly agree.

Javi has done serious opera FS on Verdi (2011-2), serious Zorro SP (2012-3, but does this count as Latin?!), no pantomime lighthearted SP/FSs (I Love Paris 2011-2, Satan etc. 2013-4; Peter Gunn 2013-4). His comedic stuff ranges from slapstick of EX like Aerobics Class, to a character driven slapsticky Pirates to rom-com of Chaplin and more classical opera buffa character in the Barber of Seville. Black Betty is harder to define - but fun with one mime bit (which kind of accentuates the lyric at that point).

For the first question I guess yes, the character is from the 1919 mexican novel and the music very much latin inspired. If we're considering "comedic range" a factor why not have a "lyrical" or "dramatic" range. Chan in particular may be pleased with that since he has done more than one type of serious program. ;)

Btw, many people appreciated Mikhail Kolyada's SP last (and this?) season very much and it was actually ripped from Javi's 2010-11 repertoire: the concept, half of the music, much of the choreo and most of the expression...

(...)

IMO Most figure skating programs are slight or blatant rip-offs or else there would be no warhorses. Sometimes very pleasant ones.

Well, I guess this summarizes all the previous discussion. :laugh:

Last edited:

kelleigh

On the Ice

Please let me :palmf: with you specifically for this point... lmao

Just can't leave it while we are talking about Hanyu's 5 or 6-year career, from late junior to senior, 15 or 16 - 21 y/o, programs from classic, blues rock, musical to soundtrack, from western to oriental, from chic to darn serious, involving 4 choreographers D Wilson, J Buttle, Shae Lynn Bourne and N Abe... no variation of movement???

That was not only denying Hanyu, but also denying the effort of choreographers and we are talking some very recognized names like Wilson who also work with Javier very often. I especially feel sad for Shae Lynn Bourne's Seimei for that kind of comments. If the music, concept, step seq, postures and gestures of Seimei are anything 'standard figure skating stuff' that are popular among other skaters' programs, please someone find out some clips and let me know. :giveup:

kelleigh

On the Ice
https://youtu.be/0K8WJD16tfU?t=2m58s

I would pay to see rachmaninoff like this :laugh2:

(whatever, love is blind..love is crime.. in some cases) :p

I found the common point of Hanyu's Rachmaninoff and Parisienne Walkways - the blue costume. Yeah I know that's different tone of blue but hey, Rachmaninoff and Parisienne Walkways are similar, anyway.

Seriously, saying Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is close to Parisienne Walkways (or vice versa) might get a grin from either Rachmaninoff or Gary Moore, or both. It's so... inspirational.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I found the common point of Hanyu's Rachmaninoff and Parisienne Walkways - the blue costume. Yeah I know that's different tone of blue but hey, Rachmaninoff and Parisienne Walkways are similar, anyway.

Seriously, saying Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is close to Parisienne Walkways (or vice versa) might get a grin from either Rachmaninoff or Gary Moore, or both. It's so... inspirational.
Someone should give Yuzuru's Seimei at GPF a Rachmaninoff background music. Choose this piece lmao http://youtu.be/dbbtmskCRUY

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Someone should give Yuzuru's Seimei at GPF a Rachmaninoff background music. Choose this piece lmao http://youtu.be/dbbtmskCRUY

IKR? you know sometimes you just need to do a looot of posing and grin and play pantomime... it is easier to get ...(no need to go deep to kyogen theatre... do research on your pieces or smth) just play safe and easy to get attention and voila you are DA STAR ...

Meoima

Match Penalty
IKR? you know sometimes you just need to do a looot of posing and grin and play pantomime... it is easier to get ...(no need to go deep to kyogen theatre... do research on your pieces or smth) just play safe and easy to get attention and voila you are DA STAR ...
Or they should give him Petruska by Stravinsky to Seimei and tell people it looks "standard all the same" lmao. Gezz...

Lys

Match Penalty
Parisienne Walkways skated on Rach 3 (Kwan's cuts). As you can see, the music and vibes of the programs match so much I wonder why Jeff even bother to pick PW to start with! Who wants to put PW on Chopin now?

http://sendvid.com/t42fmgl3

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Parisienne Walkways skated on Rach 3 (Kwan's cuts). As you can see, the music and vibes of the programs match so much I wonder why Jeff even bother to pick PW to start with! Who wants to put PW on Chopin now?

do you see any difference me not? :drama:
lol it is so good :):laugh:

HanDomi

Record Breaker

quad so beatifully matched with music , and spin ! and that lutz landed on note ! Hanyu has found some way to standarize his choreography to fit diffrent music

:laugh2:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Here you are :)

Chopin skated on PW music. I feel the need to point out this video is from GPF15 in Barcelona. I would totally understand if someone watching this could get confused and think it's the original PW program, really.

https://sendvid.com/ae3jvbne

Yeah, totally! A blueish costume again, I understand! So confusing.
I have to say, in this version of PW his triple axel is completely out of synch with music -though funnily the other jumps are sorta borderline OK. :D
Thank you, it's a perfect case showing how his skating evolved these two years!