2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If V/M continue after the Olympics into the next quadrennial, the turmoil in Canadian ice dance will continue, with more teams splitting. 15 ice dance teams completed at Canadian Nationals in 2015, and 14 in 2016, but only 9 in 2017 (including V/M). That would be great for V/M and the Canadian medal count, but not so great for the future of Canadian ice dance should V/M suddenly suffer an injury or decide to retire.

so you are saying that if they don't retire, it will be turmoil... and then, it will be not so great for the future if they retire

Here is what my crystal ball is saying : Piper and Paul will continue ... and with or without V/M they will get higher results. In the meantime, because, let's not forget that 2019 WC are far far away, Lajoie and Lagha will reach senior status. They are incredibly promising and probably represent the biggest hope for Canadian Ice dance... they held their own at the Junior WC this year, despite being much younger than the other teams.

After the big split event, which may or may not be related to VM's return, it may have been the final blow for some teams but I don't think it was for most team who were not even close to Weapo and Piper and Paul... a few new teams have connected... I saw some potential at Nationals this year... and was pleasantly surprised. We will see how things develop but it's not a black hole below VM.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
We're migrating our doom & gloom to the next season's thread: http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?63976-2017-2018-Canadian-Road-to-the-Olympics

Figure skating in Canada will always be a huge question mark dependent on rich parents, skaters in various states of injury and recovery, fickle judges, and potential that may be reached or not. It's a journey that we're following and like any interesting story we don't quite know the outcome or the twists and turns we'll have to encounter. It's best to enjoy the journey as much as you can. Go watch live skating. Support your local athletes if you can. Cheer for your favs. Share your thoughts within the Golden Skate rules. Maybe don't be a Negative Nancy all the time because there's always hope. Prepare yourselves for the insanity of the Olympic season. And don't forget to celebrate the sesquicentennial. 🍁

Sackie

Medalist
I was so pleased that Kaetlyn and Gabby were to win 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics but now after seeing Alaine's skates and scores at the Team Trophy I am not so sure anymore. It really seems like she is moving backwards both with her skating and with the judges marks - especially her PCS that have dropped a lot. Last year she would have one good skate then a not so good skate and she even started out this year the same way at the Autumn Classic. But now that is not the case and with each bad program her PCS is dropping. She will really have to come on strong right out of the gate next season to win back the judges.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Agreed Sackie. I thought a coaching/club change might be in order, but I guess this is not happening. And there are a couple of young skaters preparing to enter the next level, so Canadians 2018 could be a fight.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was so pleased that Kaetlyn and Gabby were to win 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics but now after seeing Alaine's skates and scores at the Team Trophy I am not so sure anymore. It really seems like she is moving backwards both with her skating and with the judges marks - especially her PCS that have dropped a lot. Last year she would have one good skate then a not so good skate and she even started out this year the same way at the Autumn Classic. But now that is not the case and with each bad program her PCS is dropping. She will really have to come on strong right out of the gate next season to win back the judges.

i am not reading too much into this... I have the feeling Alaine had already started to focus on next year... and working on new programs etc... she wasn't in a competition mode IMHO... so she went, skated, but without the Alaine spirit we have seen... I am sure she will be different in the fall...

Of course, there are still jumping issues : her lutz wasn't there at wtt...

Sackie

Medalist
i am not reading too much into this... I have the feeling Alaine had already started to focus on next year... and working on new programs etc... she wasn't in a competition mode IMHO... so she went, skated, but without the Alaine spirit we have seen... I am sure she will be different in the fall...

Of course, there are still jumping issues : her lutz wasn't there at wtt...

I hope that is all it is. But she just seems to have slotted herself in as Canada's # 3 and seems OK to stay there. A couple years ago she seemed to see herself as a challenger for the CAN title (which she won) now she is letting Kaetlyn and Gabby fight it out for the title.
Now if CAN was smart they would take a lesson from the USA and place her ahead of both Kaetlyn and Gabby next year so she will get a boost as the CAN champ who beat two world medalist. Hey it worked for Chen.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ I would be afraid then, that she then become a bit of a lost lamb, like Ashley. You never know if she's going to be 1st or 5th. A mixed blessing if you will, and judging by recent results, not an enviable position.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mango? what do you think? should we ask the moderators to close this thread so we are not confusing anyone where to post about Canadian skaters? It has been a glorious 127 pages thread! So grateful for all your work and so happy so many people chimed in and cheered for our skaters. They deserve it.

What do you think??

beki

Medalist
I think it's a good idea. I've gotten muddled. Thanks for moving Gabby's backflip to the newer thread.