2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
i will have to update conrad's PS will I? hehehe yay!!! go conrad... i thought my son was very slow tonight... and very cautious in the step sequence... he was nervous... he didn't look too thrilled after his skate... the first 2 spins were shaky but he made the big jumps and got a very good last spin... so i am proud of him... i was hoping for a bit more but we will take this. first 3a so far in the juniors.

Seeing Joanne grinning the back I knew what kind of PCS score we were gonna get. :biggrin: Your son needs some confidence and to let loose. He has better basics than we saw here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am going to let our dearest mango give details but our 3 boys did so amazingly well tonight this morning... some time... in the SP of the world juniors...

3 boys...

3 triple axels

3 3lz-3t combos

3 loops (mandatory jumps)

correct me if am wrong but it looked like season's best for all of them... awesome performances!!! go canada!!!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Lori-Ann and Thierry had some issues today but still got a SB with 50.78.

https://youtu.be/6NngNyt70zA
https://youtu.be/PxO6t1gEh0A

So W/M can't finish lower than 7th in the SP and M/F can't finish lower than 8th.

ETA they finished 6th and 7th respectively due to a mistake by Amina Atakhanova / Ilia Spridonov. Not sure what to expect as a final result, but maybe 7th and 8th. Though 6th and 7th would be much more desirable for the emerging pairs in Canada.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
what> did you say Nic is at YRSA? you meant NAM right ? :)

Pretty sure Nic still lives in Montreal. But Bennett is also at YRSA, at least most of the time! Brian Orser is gone a lot due to coaching so many students. I think Roman was mainly working with Lee Barkell anyways. He maybe just wanted a coach that would be around more instead of having to work with so many other coaches. Given there are a lot of other boys his age/general level at YRSA it might not be a bad move, though it does seem kinda abrupt.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Evelyn and Trennt got a SB score and cracked 50 points again. Crashy twist and a foot down by Evelyn on the SBS 2A (and maybe a death spiral issue??) but otherwise it was ok.

https://youtu.be/ETwkT7i5Feo
https://youtu.be/Hu5Ld8nd2jo

Thanks Mango for this vids and for your defense of this team in another thread. That landing by Evelyn on the 3throw was 'Osmond-esque' in it's landing, and positive GOE also. ;) Not bad for a time that came together in August, and she as a first time pairs competitor.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Personally I think both Nic and Roman should have been higher in PCS - especially Nic! But that would have put him skating in the top group and ahead of a couple of the contenders! I mean Nic's PCS is only 2 Pts higher then Torgashev's messy skate! That is just not right!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wonderful picture of the North Americans. I saw a photo of Cha, Samarin and Aliev. The Russians boys could be brothers. I was shocked at how much they look alike.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think the trip to Oberstdorf helped.

Way to go guys!

And now onto the guys. Quick turn around for the FS. I've been notified that 4everchan will not be watching his son Conrad. What a dad! 😋

nadster

Final Flight
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha have a good lead against the top French team. It looks very likely at this point that we will get the full slate of 14 JGP dance slots next year.

That is quite exciting.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So the guys had some disappointing skates. Looks like the injuries and subsequent lack of training caught up to Nicolas and Roman. Nic is aging out of juniors and is on the National team. So he'll be looking to get a GP spot next season. I think he'll have to prove himself in the summer though. I can see Skate Canada deciding between him and Keegan Messing. Roman's got one last season of junior left. He's got to get consistent, learn new quads, and make GPF. Conrad's got a few seasons left and a lot of PCS ground to make up. But he did the best of three tonight so he gets some kudos for that.

Fuji TV is taking down videos left and right on YouTube (none of my previous links work) so have some Dailymotion links that I found.

Nicolas SP & FS
Roman SP & FS
Conrad SP & FS

Good luck to Sarah Tamura skating 26th tomorrow in the ladies SP.

nadster

Final Flight
So the guys had some disappointing skates. Looks like the injuries and subsequent lack of training caught up to Nicolas and Roman. Nic is aging out of juniors and is on the National team. So he'll be looking to get a GP spot next season. I think he'll have to prove himself in the summer though. I can see Skate Canada deciding between him and Keegan Messing. Roman's got one last season of junior left. He's got to get consistent, learn new quads, and make GPF. Conrad's got a few seasons left and a lot of PCS ground to make up. But he did the best of three tonight so he gets some kudos for that.

The sad thing is that we will be down to 6 spots which could mean that Sadovsky, Joseph Phan and Orzel get all the JGP spots leaving the lesser lights ( but deserving of a JGP spot ) with no chance of getting any spots unless those 3 bomb.

I hope guys that get junior men at the Autumn Classic also get an international junior event with a better field than what the Autumn Classic provides.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So sad for Nic and Roman, especially Nic after such a great Nationals!

I think Conrad actually has the most long term potential of the 3, he seems to be a strong competitor and natural jumper.

Nic is so good but the pops are so frustrating! His skate tonight was Verner-esque. I really want him to make the Olympic team next year but it will be an uphill battle now. I think his SB score is only 196..

As for Roman I've kinda been thinking for awhile now he should switch to ice dance. His skating and spins are nice but I'm not sure if the big jumps are ever going to happen with him. So many downgrades in his FS. His technique hasn't really held up through puberty so idk if going back to Tracey will help. I just hope he's not too depressed, he always seems so emo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the trip to Oberstdorf helped.

Way to go guys!

And now onto the guys. Quick turn around for the FS. I've been notified that 4everchan will not be watching his son Conrad. What a dad! 😋

daddy saw conrad.... i liked how fierce he was... after popping his3a-3t into a 1a-3t conrad changed his 2a-1/2l-3s to a 3a-1/2-2s ... of course he would have liked to do 3a-1/2l-3s but still it showed how competitive he was. I also thought that Conrad skated better than in the SP and was hoping for slightly higher PCS... COME ON... 59... give me a break...

Roman and Nic.... disappointing skates... Roman has been injured, he even skipped Bavarian Open last month... Nic has had issues all season with his ankle but the kind of SP they had showed more promise.... I think they will learn from this though...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The sad thing is that we will be down to 6 spots which could mean that Sadovsky, Joseph Phan and Orzel get all the JGP spots leaving the lesser lights ( but deserving of a JGP spot ) with no chance of getting any spots unless those 3 bomb.

I hope guys that get junior men at the Autumn Classic also get an international junior event with a better field than what the Autumn Classic provides.

i agree...

who else though needs to go to JGP ? Celestino? The others don't have the jump content (even Celestino doesn't have a 3A)... So at least these 3 would be covered... but i totally agree. Our boys need the experience in competition... it definitely showed tonight.

TGee

Record Breaker
Feeling a bit blue about Nic and Roman's outcomes in the free skate. :sad21:

But I'm glad that they showed up and put out what they could, impact of injuries not withstanding. Accept that they were scored on what they did on the day, but take the learning from international experience.

Nic has definitely delivered better at home than internationally this season....wonder if there is something to take away from that. Roman may have got what he could from TCC, and may be better with Tracey Wainman's team which was his comfortable place for previous successes.

That said, I am thinking that Skate Canada really needs to think about getting a greater depth of junior and novice singles skaters, male and female, over to Europe for ISU B competitions. BC/YK section's delegation to the Barvarian Open looks like something other sections should consider. And if their top skaters go with a Skate Canada delegation, then perhaps look a bit further down the ranks....

The LTAD says that the competition intensity and experience needs to be gained before moving to seniors....resources are scarce, but the JPG cannot be relied on to provide this.