2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
To sum up:

COACHING CHANGES
Maxim Kovtun -> From Elena Vodorezova (CSKA) to Inna Goncharenko (CSKA)
Adian Pitkeev -> From Eteri Tutberidze (Sambo70) to Elena Vodorezova (CSKA)
Sergei Voronov -> From Eteri Tutberidze (Sambo70) to Inna Goncharenko (CSKA)

These are the GP assignments:

http://static.isu.org/media/1008/gp_men_16-09-21.pdf

- there is an empty spot at the Rostelecom cup
- no GP assignment for Adian Pitkeev, Gordei Gorshkov (are they injured? or what?).

ISU Challenger results
|Ondrej Nepela M.| Sergei Voronov 237.41 (1st)
|Nebelhorn Trophy| Alexander Petrov 232.21 (1st)
|Finlandia Trophy| Maxim Kovtun 229.57 (3rd)
|Ondrej Nepela M.| Roman Savosin 222.37 (3rd)
|Finlandia Trophy| Mikhail Kolyada 219.55 (4th)
|Finlandia Trophy| Alexander Petrov 211.80 (6th)
|Nebelhorn Trophy| Artur Dmitriev Jr. 209.19 (6th)

Junior qualifiers for the GPF:

Alexander Samarin 234.29
Roman Savosin 207.64 (222.37 at the O.N.M.)
Ilia Skirda 208.28
Dmitri Aliev 232.83

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
I'm rooting more for the current russian juniors field.... :hap10:

Samarin, Aliev, Savosin, Skirda, Kunitsa, Kovalev, Gumennik, Erokhov
next to be JGP eligibles Semenenko, Vetlugin...

at least they wont need Plushenko in the future..... :slink:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm rooting more for the current russian juniors field.... :hap10:

Samarin, Aliev, Savosin, Skirda, Kunitsa, Kovalev, Gumennik, Erokhov
next to be JGP eligibles Semenenko, Vetlugin...

at least they wont need Plushenko in the future..... :slink:

I'm kinda disappointed by Erokhov (i thought he could be the next rising star of Sambo70 but he bombed his performances in Germany), but on the other hand surprised to see Samarin on fire and Savosin - Skirda reaching the finals with their consistency.

As for the seniors i don't know what's going on with those crazy assignments:

- Kolyada could be the best russian male skater (in terms of quality of skating) but he's so incosistent, at the Rostelecom cup he's the only home favourite, Artur Dmitriev likely won't have any chance to medal and the third spot is still empty :slink:

- Kovtun has enough quads to compete for a spot at the final and be the Russian Champion again at Nationals, but he has to fight for a medal at Skate America (against Uno, Jin, Ten and the home favourites Rippon and Brown) and then hoping for a silver or gold at the Cup of China;

- Voronov is consistent but i don't see improvements: his jumps are so telegraphed with no transitions in between, and he needs more quads at this point. Anyway, i don't think it's wise to put Voronov and Kovtun (and even Petrov in China) one against each other at the same events;

- Unfortunately Petrov will compete again in Canada where the judges are so strict with the russians so he needs a miracle to even grab a medal.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm kinda disappointed by Erokhov (i thought he could be the next rising star of Sambo70 but he bombed his performances in Germany), but on the other hand surprised to see Samarin on fire and Savosin - Skirda reaching the finals with their consistency.

He didn't "bomb his performances," he never got to skate his FS because he was injured. That's hardly a reason to write him off.

I like all the juniors except for Samarin. Really underwhelmed with Mikhail this season, Petrov even moreso...Max still hasn't figured out how to keep it together in the FS, but he has improved a lot. And Sergei still has a fighting chance - he always comes back against the odds, say whatever you want, but you can't deny he has grit in spades. I still hope we will see Adian this season, too. :(

I wonder what's going on with the TBD spot at Rostelecom. They took Gordei's name off but nobody replaced him yet...seems like they could flip a coin between him and Anton Shulepov, although I would rather see Anton get it. I don't think there is anyone else eligible who could score 200+ in seniors.

BTW, Menshov is retired already.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
He didn't "bomb his performances," he never got to skate his FS because he was injured. That's hardly a reason to write him off.

I like all the juniors except for Samarin. Really underwhelmed with Mikhail this season, Petrov even moreso...Max still hasn't figured out how to keep it together in the FS, but he has improved a lot. And Sergei still has a fighting chance - he always comes back against the odds, say whatever you want, but you can't deny he has grit in spades. I still hope we will see Adian this season, too. :(

Sorry you're right but even in the short and in Yokohama he weren't so consistent, that's a shame the injury considering how bad were the others in Germany.

I'm happy for Sergei's comeback, he's in good form but i fear this won't be enough to fight for a spot at the final or repeat his successes 2-3 years ago under Eteri's coaching.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
He seems to be injured far too often. He took time off to heal, came back, did one and a half competitions and he is again injured. I am not sure if he won't go the Proklova's route - constantly injured and never be seen competing. Or Pitkeev -again injured...

sneakers

Match Penalty
He seems to be injured far too often. He took time off to heal, came back, did one and a half competitions and he is again injured. I am not sure if he won't go the Proklova's route - constantly injured and never be seen competing. Or Pitkeev -again injured...

well Erokhov is a Tutberidze student, so injury is never far away....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
all coaches have of course but the record of Julia L, Adian, Polina T, and now him...
I really pray that Zhenya stays injury free till the 2018 Olympics season.

She has a huge team, so obviously there are going to be injuries. Very few skaters make it through their career without having injuries that keep them off the ice for some period of time.

hanca

Record Breaker
all coaches have of course but the record of Julia L, Adian, Polina T, and now him...
I really pray that Zhenya stays injury free till the 2018 Olympics season.

You forgot to mention Polina Shelepen. At the time she left Tutberidze she was injured and never really came back to her original state. She even tried to compete injured after she left T, but the injury happened while with T.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
- Kovtun has enough quads to compete for a spot at the final and be the Russian Champion again at Nationals, but he has to fight for a medal at Skate America (against Uno, Jin, Ten and the home favourites Rippon and Brown) and then hoping for a silver or gold at the Cup of China

Kovtun had a very promising sp at Finlandia Trophy, but unfortunately he failed in fs and got only 3rd place. I wonder if the time between Finlandia Trophy and Skate America is long enough for him to get his fs more consistent and stamina better? Does he and his coach understand the importance of doing full fs runthroughs again and again to get the stamina better & getting more consistent?

I really like his skating and the judges seem to agree, he just has to become more consistent....

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, let's not forget Kovtun only had that new LP for a few weeks - it was totally redone after the test skates. Of course he has a long track record of meltdowns in the LP, but it could have been a lot worse.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Voronov is doing the best. It's really impressive.

- Yes, I admire his perseverance, but not my cup of tea. He loses points on spins & stsq

Kovtun- it's just total disaster.

- Yep, and it is all in his head... no coaching change is going to change that ...

Petrov- judges are just rejecting him completely

- He needs something to help him to stand out, it is all very clean but boring and his tech :scratch2: 3-2 in the sp? Ladies do better...

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61466-2016-Cup-of-China-Data-Analysis-Men

Dmitriev jr? Is singles right for him?

- Is figure skating right for him?

Kolyada. Very rough first gp. I don't know if he's trying to upgrade too much at one time.

- There are several reasons for not so great start of the season - a busy off season (military service, college graduation) with no holiday at all; Russian fed axing his new sp, trying a new quad (sal) - which is reported as good as his 4T in practice but not a success yet in competition. On the positive side, even with not so good showings he scored better than other Russian men, the potential is there.

Gorshkov is too uneven

- Don't see him doing well internationally

Last edited: