Under appreciated programs 2016 | Golden Skate

Under appreciated programs 2016

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have been wanting to create this thread for a while.

One of my main interests to look forward to any new season are watching skaters coming up with original, interesting well-realised programs. To take ownership of their skating, to grow, to tackle, to improve in all aspect of new artistic ambitions and technical new milestones in their 'craft'. Something that has heart, emotional intelligence, and a full realisation of music intentions, with originality and authenticity, the truth of who they are. While there are no official marks given under COP to reward for any of that (except loosely masked under PCS which really should stand for Political Component Scoring), in my humble opinion, there should be wider recognition by the fans of the sport. Artistry is the most precious and unquantifiable part of the sport, it is priceless, and it should be encouraged, nourished and celebrated as often as possible.

Figure skating is a multi-disciplinary delicate sport of skills, sporting performance and artistry (& gaming of points). To truly elevate oneself, it is as much as what skaters decide to do and 'struggle' to achieve, and not just about how well they can do the same thing well, year after year within the comfort zone. There should be as much reward about taking risks to 'win', as much as skating to 'not to lose'.

I admire greatly skaters who struggle, taking risks outside their comfort zone. Patrick, Hanyu, even Javier continues to do that with at least 1 of their programs each past season, and they lead the sport by example. This motivates youngsters pushing themselves in all aspects trying to catch up. BoYang improved leap and bounds in the expressions, it is infuriating judges are slow to catch up while everyone else can see it. Nathan is like a young hungry Hanyu, desperately trying to set his mark, sometimes failing admirably, recklessly, ambitious, but thanks to a supportive federation, he appears to be getting there. Adam for the past 3 seasons has been taking complete ownership of his skating and moving decisively towards the Lambiel direction. While his taste may not suit all, but for me, he is really exciting and interesting to watch, and hope he doesn't ever do trite with safe and generics ever again. As much as I complain about Jason's overmarking at times, I grew to admire his struggle to include the quad and the tough order that is his FS - which is definitely outside his comfort zone.

For the ladies, many of my favs have been under the radar struggling with PCS recognition (Wakaba finally won recognition this year), but actually, I really like what they are doing with their programs. Consider how inflated the current field, watching their score is heartbreaking at times. I can only hope in time they will eventually get recognised by the judges one day.

Amongst them include Zijun Li, Soyoun Park, and Karen Chen. I have just watched Karen's SP & FS having missed watching both events live this season. I did a triple/triple take. Looking at the score, then looking at these programs/performances and can only shake my head consider the current inflated field. Nevertheless, I greatly admire what Karen is trying to do, hope she get recognised for her sincere efforts. Coming off such slump after horrific injuries is always a tough task but to decide to self-choreograph and realise such exquisite yet risk taking ambitions (delicate short with little margins for error with that piece of music. Fast long doing a Latin.) as comebacks deserve my admiration and commendation. Well done Karen, hope you have a great US national and able to deliver all that you can. Regardless of everything else, you are a terrific talent, have a beautiful pair of programs and such a little budding artist. Hope you continue to grow over the next few years. Well done!! :points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBPbmgEOWSY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMVWjHDIYqY
(updated Eurosport video, some really nice comments. 6 triples program include 2 Lutz with a lutz opening combo. You rock Karen, despite the stingey marks!)

Please feel free to share your fav under appreciated programs/skaters.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mirai is probably the most robbed skater in US figure skating history. Her FS at NHK was lovely!!! I am and continues to be sad for her scores. Weirdly, her lowest TSS were from Japan. :scratch2:

Given what happens to Sochi under ISU rule, had the Olympics 2010 took place in LA, she has legitimate claim for the Gold :p

I know that it was harsh, but most - like 80% of those calls were on point this time in my opinion.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mirai is probably the most robbed skater in US figure skating history. Her FS at NHK was lovely!!! I am and continues to be sad for her scores

If she rotated her jumps, wouldn't be a problem.

Max's Loin King is hugely underappreciated. I'm guessing too many people feel bizarrely guilty about liking it. Don't feel guilty, just love it!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Maybe I just "Over Appreciate" Mikhail Kolyada but, I love him. For me at least, he has appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I had the same reaction when I saw Misha Ge for the first time. Shocked that a skater that I had never seen before could have such a strong effect on me. Though Patrick Chan was and is still one of the biggest, and happiest surprises of my skating life. Right next to Plushy and Todd Eldredge. :drama:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
[QUOTE=Mrs. P;1563589]I actually think Alexei Krasnozhon's programs this season a huge improvement for him. It's very obvious to me he is working on his weaknesses and it's clear he's working on his extension and the stuff in-between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhQiMGmIn4 <--- SP to Chopin's Etude Op. 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNn4g2WZBQc&t=246s <---- FS to Copeland[/QUOTE

I completely agree with this comment. Alexei has a ton of potential and that's what worries me about a skater like Grant. He can not afford to skate the way he's been skating up to this point in the season or he will find himself off the World Team and maybe out of the final flight as his SP performances have been downright poor. I want to feel sorry for him but, this is a sport and you have to step up to the plate when you get the chance and he's had 2 big chances so far.

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Karen's freeskate is really underrated in my opinion. So much maturity and performing ability from someone who's only 17!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Karen's freeskate is really underrated in my opinion. So much maturity and performing ability from someone who's only 17!

Also super impressive that she choreographed the FS herself. I wouldn't have known.

ETA: Just remember that Jonathan Cassar did her SP.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Also super impressive that she choreographed both programs herself. I never would have known.

I don't know how I feel about her doing her own choreography at such a young age. My biggest problem with her free program this season is not the choreography, it's the Music. IMO, she is tiny and elegant and her music is exactly the opposite.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If she rotated her jumps, wouldn't be a problem.

Max's Loin King is hugely underappreciated. I'm guessing too many people feel bizarrely guilty about liking it. Don't feel guilty, just love it!

I felt the same about Amodio's Fergalicious. :biggrin:

Also re: "Loin" King... :laugh: He still manages to avoid the costume violations! ;)

In all realness, Max could make Lion King sooo much better and stand out among the other programs - could legit be a signature piece, even. The problem is, he's so reserved when performing it, and I'd just love to see him let go, skate with more joy and freedom, and not be so caught up with the technical aspects of the program. I think back to his Tron SP and that footwork sequence where he absolutely sells the heck out of it, and so far I don't see any of that enthusiasm or passion in his Lion King FS. I'm hoping it's just a slow burn for him when he'll ultimately nail it at Nationals (kinda like Jason's Riverdance in the Olympic season started a bit questionable, but was scintillating by US Nationals), but it's still got a way's to go for me.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree with the opinion on Karen Chen, So Youn Park, and Zijun Li.

While Gracie didn't deliver her FS program to its full potential, I'm tired of hearing that she can't do "princess-type" programs at all. I actually think tango or lyrical programs effectively hinder her stiffness on her upper body. Any upbeat music reveals her weakness more like her EX program in 2014-15 season while she seemed to enjoy it. I hope to see please her put all goods together in competition though. She is the most frustrating skater for me at the moment.

Julia Lipnitskaia's SP is a good program to show her matured artistry, but her failure to deliver her FS (because of her injury or mental block) marring the reassessment on her growth as a skater.

Takahito Mura, Michale Brezina, Kevin Reynolds' SP/FS, Alexei Bychenko's SP

Nicole Della Monica & Matteo Guarise SP/FS

Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte SD/FD - while I think their programs are all the same, their marks indicate that they're slowly out of judges' interest.

MIM

Medalist
Her peacock short program is just :drama:

I like Petrov's SP "fire dance", too. I have said too many times, but he really has great spin position and relaxed and authentic interpretation of the music. In the "Chicago" LP, He hangs on a note and never rushes a movement , nor force the crowd to feel anything. He just suggests. And I am more convinced by his gentle suggestion than any other strong exhilaration.

MIM

Medalist
Elladj Balde's SP(The sound of silence) and LP (Blood diamond)
Everyone seems to like his programs, so it is not technically underrated. But he deserves every piece of praise and recognition!

I looked up the choreographer, Julie Marcotte, who did work with Narumi/Tran and Meagan/Erik, but it doesn't ring a bell. Anyways, she IS in my best choreographer list.

nieves

On the Ice
I love Wakaba's SP. She reminds me of a cross between Midori Ito and Yuna Kim — powerful jumps with extremely mature presentation skills for her first year as a senior. I hope she can gain some consistency and stop the popped jumps because i think she's fantastic and deserves good scores!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Elladj Balde's SP(The sound of silence) and LP (Blood diamond)
Everyone seems to like his programs, so it is not technically underrated. But he deserves every piece of praise and recognition!

I looked up the choreographer, Julie Marcotte, who did work with Narumi/Tran and Meagan/Erik, but it doesn't ring a bell. Anyways, she IS in my best choreographer list.

Julie Marcotte is Bruno Marcotte's sister and choreographs for a lot (all? most?) of the pairs who train in Montreal with Bruno and Richard Gautier. Bruno talks about her in the interview he recently did with Ted Flett. The thread should still be fairly new / findable.

ETA: Here's the link to the post with the interview.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61592&p=1561328#post1561328

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
James/Cipres's LP is super amazingly and creatively choreographed, even if they haven't done it clean. Probably the most innovative program all season.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Maybe I just "Over Appreciate" Mikhail Kolyada but, I love him. For me at least, he has appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I had the same reaction when I saw Misha Ge for the first time. Shocked that a skater that I had never seen before could have such a strong effect on me. Though Patrick Chan was and is still one of the biggest, and happiest surprises of my skating life. Right next to Plushy and Todd Eldredge. :drama:

"Over appreciate" Mikhail Kolyada?!?! Nah, I don't think that's possible. He's so charming and likeable!