How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan? | Golden Skate

How much longer for Hanyu/Fernandez/Chan?

NaVi

Medalist
I'm liking this era of men's skating with Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan being pushed by Uno, Jin, and Chen... but I'm wondering how much long it's going to last. I'm wonder what people think here about the likelihood of Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan continuing after the 2018 Olympics and the likelihood of them lasting to 2022.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´d suppose that at least Fernandez will retire after 2018 Olympics as he is some years older than Hanyu, Chen and Jin.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I see Javier Fernandez and Patrick Chan retiring after 2018 Olympics medal or not, they're a bit older and have been competing as seniors for over a decade by 2018. They'll be in their 30s by the time 2022 comes around so I don't see it. I know Yuzuru Hanyu supposedly has some thoughts about continuing after the Olympics but I don't think he's made up his mind.

lyndichee

Medalist
I´d suppose that at least Fernandez will retire after 2018 Olympics as he is some years older than Hanyu, Chen and Jin.

Fernandez was born on April 1991, Patrick is December 1990 so they are essentially the same age.

Hanyu is December 1994. He is the youngest amongst the three in your title but this would be his second Olympics and despite him peaking early in the season, I think he still has a great chance for a repeat. I don't think he's looking to collect medals; he's into skating for himself which is where a lot of his success comes from in my opinion.

Chen is 1999, Jin in 1997 so they could continue but Chen has had some pretty bad injuries so not sure what their plans are.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I'm sure Chan will retire after 2018. Not so sure about Fernandez. Yuzuru, i don't know :confused2: He can retire for a year and then come back, just for himself. Anyway, looking at the new generation, the future looks dark and sad :disapp:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would be surprised if either Chan or Fernandez were still competing in 2022. Patrick will turn 26 at the end of the month and Javi will in April 2017, so by the 2022 Olympics they would be 31 and almost 31, respectively. Going back to 1998, the oldest medalist in men's was Plushenko getting the silver in Vancouver and the sport has only gotten more physically demanding. I suspect Chan will retire after the coming Olympic season and maybe Fernandez will too (I just know more about Chan), but that's just my guess.

As for Hanyu, he's younger than the other two. In fact, he turns 22 in just a few days. He would be 27 by the 2022 Olympics, so competing there would certainly be possible. You never know about injuries and just because a skater physically can doesn't mean they necessarily want to keep competing (Chan considered retirement after Sochi, for example), but I certainly don't see Hanyu stopping after 2018 and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays until 2022.

blackey

On the Ice
I think it's already over..
now it's more like hanyu/Fernandez + next generation for me..

Chan and Fernandez are most likely to retire right after 2018.
not sure about hanyu. I was pretty sure he's gonna retire too, but now his saying 4lz... so ok, maybe he will stay longer.
It's totally up to his physical condition, and I really want to see hanyu in the new +5 goe system...

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Fernandez was born on April 1991, Patrick is December 1990 so they are essentially the same age.

Thanks for the info about Patrick. Did not remember when he was born, so I left him out of my earlier reply.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Both Chan and Fernandez have been in 2010, 2014 Olympics. 2018 would be their third. Don't think their body can handle 3-4 quads after 2018.
Yuzuru maybe sticks around for a while, but unlikely to hang on until 2022.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm sure Chan will retire after 2018. Not so sure about Fernandez. Yuzuru, i don't know :confused2: He can retire for a year and then come back, just for himself. Anyway, looking at the new generation, the future looks dark and sad :disapp:

Huh? With Boyang Jin's progres, Nathan's potential for combining technical with artistic, Shoma's charisma, Jun Hwan Cha's body movement, Samohin's audacity, Samarin's music choices and so on, the future looks quite bright.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think Fernandez has plans to coach. He may also be thinking about his future in other ways. I think it is probably quite different for him because his girlfriend (and they seem to have been together for a while) Miki Ando has a child than a dating relationship without a child involved. There is probably more desire for stability. Just a guess but I think he retires after 2018 especially if he wins. I know he also wants to grow the sport in Spain so he might have goals none of us know about. A prominent role in the Spanish figure skating fed?

I think Chan retires too. Especially if he wins. If I were him or Fernandez I would be looking at Jin in particular and wondering how much wear and tear my body will have to go through to keep up in the next 4 years after the Olympics. Chan already has a 2 Olympic medals and provided things go as he wants them to will probably have at least one more (team) and possibly a fourth (individual). At some point you have to wonder if it's worth the possibility of injury.

Hanyu I think continues skating no matter what happens in Korea. He's four years younger and that is huge in figure skating terms. So we have 4 more wonderful Hanyu competing years to look forward to.

But heck, what do I know? I never thought Kostner would come back once she won her Olympic medal so... It's all just speculation. And of course you never know about injuries.

If 2019 were in Spain or Canada that might change their minds but they aren't. Hanyu, even if he was thinking of retiring after 2018 would probably stay in until 2019 because that WC is in Japan.

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru might consider staying 1-2 seasons after 2018 but not sure about whole Olympic circle till 2022. Now that 2019 WC is hosted by Japan again, I think Hanyu might want to stick until then and retire in front of home crowd in Saitama.Also he mentioned in several interviews that his retirement will depend how much content he will with his accomplishments after Korea.
As for Chan and Fernandez I am sure both will retire, Fernandez said it many times to press.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru might consider staying 1-2 seasons after 2018 but not sure about whole Olympic circle till 2022. Now that 2019 WC is hosted by Japan again, I think Hanyu might want to stick until then and retire in front of home crowd in Saitama.Also he mentioned in several interviews that his retirement will depend how much content he will with his accomplishments after Korea.
As for Chan and Fernandez I am sure both will retire, Fernandez said it many times to press.

Ohh I forgot about 2019 World Championships, then maybe Yuzuru will stick around until then, I know Japanese skaters really value retiring on home ice.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
If the big 3 decides to retire/take a season off (mostly aimed at Yuzuru), we have...
-Shoma
-Nathan
-Alex K.
-Vincent
-Boyang
-Sota
-Adian
-Dmitri
-Cha
-Koshiro
-Kazuki

and possibly so much more! I'll miss the trio but the next era looks exciting (in both positive and negative ways) :laugh:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Patrick and Javi will likely retire after 2018, but I'm not sure about Hanyu.

As much as I love the era, the sport will survive eventually without them because the new generation looks quite promising and the history speaks volumes.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm excited for the new blood...Daniel, Deniss, Dmitri, Cha, Andrew, Matyas, and the list goes on. I get bored with skaters who have been around forever and keep doing the same style, even if I like them (Javier...). Javier will make a great show skater anyway so it's not like he will just fade away. He will surely be ready to move on after Korea, for numerous reasons. I do hope Yuzuru will stay in for a couple more years at least, though, if his body allows it.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I'm 99.9% sure Javier will retire after 2018, he's brought up many times how he is older compared to the rest of the field and that he will probably retire after the WOG. Perhaps he might consider going to Worlds that year, at least? Same goes for Patrick, I'm pretty sure he will retire after 2018, too.
As for Yuzuru, who knows tbh. He used to be pretty set for retiring after 2018, but the last couple of seasons he seems a bit undecided. I think he just wants to get to 2018 first before thinking about the following seasons.

This new generation looks very promising of course, and I'll be looking forward to their progress. But these 3 will always be very special to me since they were the ones who got me truly interested in the sport :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Both Chan and Fernandez have been in 2010, 2014 Olympics. 2018 would be their third. Don't think their body can handle 3-4 quads after 2018.
Yuzuru maybe sticks around for a while, but unlikely to hang on until 2022.

I think it's 100 percent that Patrick and Javi leave after2018 or before if either has a bad injury and that is likely with the difficulty. I also think Hanyu might very well retire especially if he gets another medal. And while he may stick around longer Imdont think so. It will be barring injury Shoma and Jin and Chen maybe Kolyada and ? Who is in juniors right now?

That is why I hate the quad race that men's skating has become because I would rather see clean quad triple combo or at least stand up and another single quad and 2 triple axels. This is totally insane and it's not sustainable. And my prediction is there is no Olympics held in 2022. I'm concerned about war on the Korean Peninsula or in Asia derailing 2018.

The world is simply gone mad.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My pure wild guess is that all three will likely retire after 2018, though if I'm to list them, from order of "most likely to retire" to "least":

Patrick Chan - I'd say he's already third favourite at best (Yuzuru = reigning Olympic champ + highest scoring potential, Javier = two-time and reigning World champ), though we'll have to see if he manages to do better than last season. Maybe he'll prove me wrong; I didn't think he'd come back after Sochi, TBH, so he's already surprised me once.

Javier Fernandez - Probably will retire due to age + likely already exceeding all his personal goals. Seriously, who thought after 2014 that Javier would take a minimum of two World titles over the next quadrennial. Or, for that matter, who thought ten years ago that a skater from Spain would be hands down the best skater in Europe and even arguably the world? However, some reasons he might stay on: lack of competition within his own federation compared to Patrick or Yuzuru, peaking fairly late so his actual "competition miles" is probably lower than his age suggests.

Yuzuru Hanyu - He seemed pretty set on retiring post-2018, but two strange, almost contradictory things happened: 1) He has increased his tech to a marvelous degree (adding 4Lo, finding some consistency with 4S, better skating skills) 2) ...but also lost the last two World titles, when many thought he'd sweep all four from 2014-2018. His increased tech seems to indicate a continuing ability to improve--or at least not stagnate--and perhaps he'd want to stay on post-2018 to solidify his legacy. All this, however, assumes he prioritizes medals/legacy, and I can't say how much he does.

Either way, there are already some promising youngsters who are challenging them, and if any one of them manages to remain dominant post-2018, it would be a great achievement.