Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It´s exciting of course, but I still think that she rather should train to get her other triples fully rotated... Maybe the lack of rotations will be ignored at Nationals, but international judges will not be that kind ;).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She might as well go for it. I'm not certain anyone outside of her super fans really takes her all that seriously at this point so she isn't going to lose a ton of ground if she comes up short. If she lands it at US Nats she'll turn a few heads (judges included) and even if she doesn't land it....I honestly don't think she'll lose any ground among fans. I say go get ya some homegirl!!!:hap10:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Excited but also worried for the news. If she fully rotates all jumps even without her to-be-new-arsenal-3A, she would've had more edges over Mariah Bell or Hicks, so she could safely get on board for the World team. The 3A can take a lot of energy from Mirai, so her rest of the program can be strongly hammered by it as we've seen many similar cases. However, that's her decision and life, so I'll embrace whatever happens at Nationals.

lavoix

Match Penalty
She and Ashley Wagner are the strongest in America at the moment, so I think she should go for it.

glacial87

Rinkside
It´s exciting of course, but I still think that she rather should train to get her other triples fully rotated... Maybe the lack of rotations will be ignored at Nationals, but international judges will not be that kind ;).

Dito. She should adress her technical problems with the "other" jumps, which are numerous and appear consistently. I doubt she'll ever make it (like Asada). So a thread about pre-rotation doesn't make much sense in her case because of her evident (and punished) under-rotations :bed::bed:

sarama

Medalist
I hope this is not a decision guided by Tom Z's delusions of grandeur:slink:
He is a good coach, not sure he makes the best choices for his skaters that often though.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I hope this is not a decision guided by Tom Z's delusions of grandeur:slink:
He is a good coach, not sure he makes the best choices for his skaters that often though.

Agreed. Mirai is my favorite American woman and I love her to death, but I don't think this is a smart decision considering her UR and inconsistency problems. Mao Asada is a prime example of the 3A doing her no favors. With M*dv*d*v* on the brink of beating Mao's WR score (which I suspect she'll break this week if she skates clean... whether she deserves it is an entirely other question), the judges are sending a clear message to skaters: be consistent and we'll jack up your scores.

I think after Tuktamysheva won Worlds, skaters saw the 3A as an "easy" pass towards inflated scores. The big difference is that Liza only added the 3A after a season of 38,000 nailed competitions so her components, GOEs, and clean jumps were already well established. Landing the 3A isn't going to make the judges overlook Mirai's other URs or boost her PCS.

It'll be exciting for sure, but we've seen how Mao and Liza have trekked on in their programs after a mistake on the 3A... and it's almost never good. Big risk, little reward, IMO. I would love to be proved wrong though.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Exciting news....

The triple axel has a huge BV of 8.5 and even if she fails she will hardly lose points. The triple axel in the short is a massive booster for the ladies.

The only problem could be a melt down after a fall.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it's a good decision. If she goes for the 3A in the short she could go for an easier 3-3, like 3T-3T and her chances of rotating that combo should be higher. If she wants to be a contender for a World medal she has to take some risks. I don't think that making the team can be her goal at this point in her career, she's far too talented for that. But it's interesting that she's not wearing her new Piano boots in this clip, so this is either an old video or she has switched back to her old boots.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of wonder why is this even being shared unless she is trying to intimidate other skaters. It was a lovely triple axel from what I can see but can she do it when it counts And has she fixed her urs I think it is a good move if consistent bad if it isn't. Because if it is ur and she falls or falls alone this could deflate her balloon so to speak. in fact even if landed it could take out the energy for the rest of the program. But I think she knows she needs to do something to get on the team - mind you this year Ashley is the only one safe. Polina and Gracie are super vulnerable - injury and mental issues. Bell and Hicks still aren't consistent and don not have the pcs or reputation of Mirai Chen is still up an dcoming. so she has a great shot at the world team regardless.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I kind of wonder why is this even being shared unless she is trying to intimidate other skaters. It was a lovely triple axel from what I can see but can she do it when it counts And has she fixed her urs I think it is a good move if consistent bad if it isn't. Because if it is ur and she falls or falls alone this could deflate her balloon so to speak. in fact even if landed it could take out the energy for the rest of the program. But I think she knows she needs to do something to get on the team - mind you this year Ashley is the only one safe. Polina and Gracie are super vulnerable - injury and mental issues. Bell and Hicks still aren't consistent and don not have the pcs or reputation of Mirai Chen is still up an dcoming. so she has a great shot at the world team regardless.

I commented on this topic in a separate thread but am going to throw my opinion in here as well :) as there are some really good thoughts being shared. I really think she should go for it, sure, there is a lot to lose but the upside is tremendous and I don't mean just landing the jump and completing the rest of the program flawlessly. At this point in her career, so much has been said about Mirai simply skating for herself, nothing to prove to anyone. Just having fun and doing her best - doing what SHE LOVES!

In reading so much about her recently, seeing this video posted and others like it earlier in the season and then having Tom say she is going to do it at Nationals makes me think that SHE may very well be taking the shackles off, taking 100% control of her own career and going against contemporary thought. A huge step, one that takes courage and nerves! I think she is quite a mature skater but so many pounce on her for having nerves and not coming thru but she IMO she is a wonderful performer.

No matter what she does and what the outcome is, I for one, will continue to watch her, support her and I Thank Her for all of the fun times she's given to skating audiences around the world. Go get'em Mirai!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's strange for Tom to post this, as if it is some accomplishment of his that he coached a woman to do a 3A.
I don't think that it's strange. Yes, she did the jump but he's an important member of her team and as a coach he has reason to be proud. And I don't think that he posted it without her consent.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Skaters and coaches post videos from practice all the time. The only ones that don't are probably the ones that don't have social media lol. Also, a teacher or a coach will always want to show off their student when they accomplish something. To be frank, it looks good on their part and it's a normal response. :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. Mirai is my favorite American woman and I love her to death, but I don't think this is a smart decision considering her UR and inconsistency problems. Mao Asada is a prime example of the 3A doing her no favors. With M*dv*d*v* on the brink of beating Mao's WR score (which I suspect she'll break this week if she skates clean... whether she deserves it is an entirely other question), the judges are sending a clear message to skaters: be consistent and we'll jack up your scores.

I think after Tuktamysheva won Worlds, skaters saw the 3A as an "easy" pass towards inflated scores. The big difference is that Liza only added the 3A after a season of 38,000 nailed competitions so her components, GOEs, and clean jumps were already well established. Landing the 3A isn't going to make the judges overlook Mirai's other URs or boost her PCS.

It'll be exciting for sure, but we've seen how Mao and Liza have trekked on in their programs after a mistake on the 3A... and it's almost never good. Big risk, little reward, IMO. I would love to be proved wrong though.

I don't think under-rotation is the reason not to try the jump. I think the reason is that she is unlikely to land it (fall, two-foot, step-out, etc.) in the heat of competition. Nationals is too important to gamble with. A better strategy would be to try the jump at a later competition, like 4 Continents.

frida80

Record Breaker
It's strange for Tom to post this, as if it is some accomplishment of his that he coached a woman to do a 3A.

The number of women who accomplished 3A in international competition can be counted on two hands. The number of American women who have accomplished can be counted on two fingers. It's a big deal for any coach to have a ladies skater land a fully rotated 3A, especially in the US. Many have tried only a few have succeeded. Of course there are many attempting 3A, but until it's on video it can't be verified. So why not post it and brag a little? It's not like Frank, Bryan, or Rafael have any girls doing 3A at the moment.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She might as well go for it. I'm not certain anyone outside of her super fans really takes her all that seriously at this point so she isn't going to lose a ton of ground if she comes up short. If she lands it at US Nats she'll turn a few heads (judges included) and even if she doesn't land it....I honestly don't think she'll lose any ground among fans. I say go get ya some homegirl!!!:hap10:

Or, to put it differently, the people who are not fans of Mirai do not take her seriously.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
That looked amazing. She has nothing to lose and is definitely one of the top skaters. Would love to see her and Mariah at Worlds. Go Mirai!!!