Regulation on regrades? | Golden Skate

Regulation on regrades?

yasgaga

Match Penalty
Im just curious. Can a skater demand a regrade of their scores? If I were a competing skater and with the current corrupted judging system I would literally spam the regrade button and actually walk over to the technical panel and demand to watch a second by second analysis of my take off's on my "downgraded" jumps. Some of these judges literally hand +3's for cheated jumps. All skaters should be able to demand regrade of other skaters if they feel that skater is being favored and given + goe for cheated underrotated jumps.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are certain things a skater can query with the tech panel, such as data entry error. This happens every now and again. IIRC, Ross Miner had a correction made at COR in 2015-2016 for such an error - I think it was a 2Lz entered instead of a 3Lz? It was a genuine error, was corrected, and it bumped him up into his rightful bronze medal.

Your suggestion, however, is ridiculous, pointless and spiteful. A second-by-second analysis of the jumps for every skater? The tech panel actually have work to do, you know. They're volunteers. How long do you suppose your "regrade" button analysis would take - and would you actually accept it when you are shown that yes, your jumps ARE downgraded?

And skaters demanding regrades for other skaters? Oh, come on.

yasgaga

Match Penalty
There are certain things a skater can query with the tech panel, such as data entry error. This happens every now and again. IIRC, Ross Miner had a correction made at COR in 2015-2016 for such an error - I think it was a 2Lz entered instead of a 3Lz? It was a genuine error, was corrected, and it bumped him up into his rightful bronze medal.

Your suggestion, however, is ridiculous, pointless and spiteful. A second-by-second analysis of the jumps for every skater? The tech panel actually have work to do, you know. They're volunteers. How long do you suppose your "regrade" button analysis would take - and would you actually accept it when you are shown that yes, your jumps ARE downgraded?

And skaters demanding regrades for other skaters? Oh, come on.

Hell yes. If I dedicated my entire life to skating only to have these judges screw up my score you better bet I'm going to ask for a closer analysis. Of course if after the analysis it is apparent that I made an error, I would accept it. These "volunteers" have no credibility nor would I respect them if I was a skater. The skaters probably know more than these "volunteers" that wait for their next paycheck from a country that wants their skater to win. Figure skating should move toward electronic scoring. Perhaps skates with electric chips that calculates the speed into jumps, the pressure placed on inside or outside edges (to determine edge calls), and rotations, all that jazz. Then we won't have biases. We will have a sport judged based on actual facts not opinions (at least for the technical portion). Program components will of course be graded by CLASSICALLY trained dancers and NOT "volunteers".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Im just curious. Can a skater demand a regrade of their scores? If I were a competing skater and with the current corrupted judging system I would literally spam the regrade button and actually walk over to the technical panel and demand to watch a second by second analysis of my take off's on my "downgraded" jumps. Some of these judges literally hand +3's for cheated jumps. All skaters should be able to demand regrade of other skaters if they feel that skater is being favored and given + goe for cheated underrotated jumps. ...

Your suggestion, however, is ridiculous, pointless and spiteful. A second-by-second analysis of the jumps for every skater? The tech panel actually have work to do, you know. They're volunteers. How long do you suppose your "regrade" button analysis would take - and would you actually accept it when you are shown that yes, your jumps ARE downgraded? ...

yasgaga, with your talk of "spamming," I doubt that you are really interested in a serious answer.

But in case you are, here is a link to a Cup of China post in which I copied a long chunk of official ISU language re protests.

At the beginning of that post, I summarized in my own words what is allowed. (I've added emphasis below to my own words.)
"Demanding" -- or even requesting -- "regrades" is not allowed.
(As karne said, correcting a data entry error is allowed.)

I looked up the official ISU rules for "Protests" -- and what is allowed is extremely limited.

From what I can see:
- Protests are allowed ONLY against incorrect mathematical calculations ... or incorrect data input by the Data Operator.
- Protests are NOT allowed against evaluations made by the Referee, Judges, and Technical Panel.
- Protests are NOT allowed against "wrong identification of an element or of a level of difficulty."​

.... All skaters should be able to demand regrade of other skaters ...

... And skaters demanding regrades for other skaters? Oh, come on.

Agree with karne that it would be ridiculous to allow skaters to "demand" (or even request) regrades of other skaters.