Hanyu: "I want to be challenged" | Golden Skate

Hanyu: "I want to be challenged"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu won his fourth consecutive ISU Grand Prix Final with 293.90 points on the strength of his short program in Marseille, France. USA’s Nathan Chen (282.85) edged out Japan’s Shoma Uno (282.51) for silver.
“I feel very disappointed with my long program, but the result is good,” he confessed. “I think this is figure skating. I’m proud of my short program and I am going to keep on working hard on my long program. I was happy when I skated my program. I love both programs this year because I feel really connected to the audience and I am able to keep smiling in these programs. So I am happy with the skate, but I feel a little disappointed, especially with the second Salchow, the first loop and everything. I have two triple Axels in the second half. I want to be challenged. I feel good and in the next year, I will be good, so I am not worried about it.”
More

What are your thoughts on the men's performances in Marseille?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
2016 Olympic Champion? :biggrin:

That men's event, well...let's say it's not something I'll be watching again too often. However it was very interesting to see the two youngest skaters rise up to the occasion here and end up on the podium. Congratulation to Yuzuru for winning the 4th in a row, to Nathan for medalling on his first GP on his first senior season and Shoma for defending his bronze medal :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My face while watching this event https://68.media.tumblr.com/18f9b599506ee979a5b16378aa8e75bf/tumblr_ohzmy5ifad1qfbp2ao2_400.gif (Thanks Yuzu for being so expressive.)
But it's a learning experience for everyone and Nathan changed my perspective of him with his outstanding FP.
Yuzu held it together enough to win and he's got a long game in mind with regards to doing a challenging layout now. It's messy at the moment, but he's going to need it in the Olympic season.
Congrats all medalists and Yuzu for winning the most back-to-back GPFs.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Funny we are at the point when we call program with landed 4lo, 4S, 4T, 2x 3A disappointment :biggrin:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Funny we are at the point when we call program with landed 4lo, 4S, 4T, 2x 3A disappointment :biggrin:

Exactly.
And I'd call it messy not so much disappointment. I think as I just said the in the FS thread, this is just proof Hanyu's right in his desire to push himself and advance. The new kids are coming and you either keep up or are left behind. It will be visible next season especially, and that's the Olympic season. He is playing the long game here.

But I was pleased to see he was happy with the result, and the short, because that means he's found positives too, which probably wouldn't have been the case at one point. I am not sure how I feel about his 4A answer though. :laugh: that would be a challenge all right.

sarama

Medalist
Well it's clear to everybody that he "wants to be challenged", which is way it could be good thing he wasn't perfect here. At the same time I'm more concerned than ever about his recklessness... The 4A talk was a bit scary (he looked so serious about it), and ending behind both Nathan and Shoma in the FS might light too much fire in him... His health really doesn't need that!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Especially if we put things regarding Yuzu's situation into perspective.
I don't want to be mean, but so many people even talking about a clean LP performance here really irritated me. He's coming off an injury that took him off ice for months, limiting what he could do on ice for even longer, to the point where it was suggested he skip the whole season... IMO, Yuzu is way outperforming expectations of what he would be able to show at this point. Only 3 men ever went for 4 quads in an LP, and the other 2 (Boyang & Nathan) don't have close to similarly difficult overall choreo and transitions - so it's very reasonable to say this is the most difficult LP anyone ever attempted. Of course Yuzu is disappointed, he's a perfectionist (but thankfully he seems to see the whole picture very well too now!) but as a fan, this LP was pretty much what I expected at this point. No disappointment. It wasn't his prettiest skate, but he's completely on track regarding the season as a whole. All's fine.

And I'm not saying he's the only one suffering injuries and set backs, I know other skaters have their struggles too - but that doesn't change my opinion about how well Yuzu is doing after all.