Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Spins wise: Marin's are weak among top junior and senior ladies. Definitely not in the same league as Satako. As I said earlier, she has very visible traveling in her two spins in the sp, but received level 3 and 4?? I also had problem with Yulia's traveling spins, but arguably she compensated that with extremely flex/difficult position.

Marin's jumps look effortless, but not as magnificent Kaori's. I would say Mai's jumps are also better, and when Wakaba is on. Somehow I feel Marin's jumps are underwhelming, maybe she pre-rotates more than other ladies except Satako?

ioanna

Record Breaker
Yes, Marin prerotates. Especially the 3F in her SP today. I'm also not a fan of the way she picks her toe, nor her air position. But her jumps are a little higher than Satoko's so I guess that makes her more of a "full package".

She's a gorgeous lady with skating skills to die for, she has great natural presence on the ice and she can become JSF's #1 if she earns it. After that, I'd wish her luck with the harder parts that come with being the country's leading lady.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Spins wise: Marin's are weak among top junior and senior ladies. Definitely not in the same league as Satako. As I said earlier, she has very visible traveling in her two spins in the sp, but received level 3 and 4?? I also had problem with Yulia's traveling spins, but arguably she compensated that with extremely flex/difficult position.

Marin's jumps look effortless, but not as magnificent Kaori's. I would say Mai's jumps are also better, and when Wakaba is on. Somehow I feel Marin's jumps are underwhelming, maybe she pre-rotates more than other ladies except Satako?

Her spins are weak-ish. But the difference between her total spins and some top ladies' spins would be very small. That's not a concern.
She does everything so effortlessly. It's like butter. That step sequence is godly. You just can't believe someone does step sequence like that. It's like Patrick Chan doing step sequence. Unbelievable quality.

In term of jumps, Mai and Kaori are top tier. So consistent and with so much flow and speed. Wakaba can't land her jumps, so she's a 2nd tier of the Japanese team. She has always choked at big events. Not a good sign for an Olympian.

Japan needs a star quickly. I have no doubt they will kick Satoko to the curb after next year. Sad, but inevitable.

nekun

On the Ice
I rarely watched ladies, but Marin is so lovely, she such a fairy on the ice :love:

she will get lots of love next year in Olympic, esp for casual viewer, honestly tho as someone who only recently into figure skating, and do not know how the scoring system works, I prefer Marin performance over the lead's, she's like floating on the ice

ioanna

Record Breaker
Japan needs a star quickly. I have no doubt they will kick Satoko to the curb after next year. Sad, but inevitable.

They've been "kicking her to the curb" since forever. They're doing it now by lying about her real condition saying she "could have competed at 4CC and AWG if she pushed herself a little harder" when in reality she's taking painkillers to skate at Worlds and get their spots. They can kick her as much as they want, she always fought back with her unmatched consistency and nerves of steel.

just wondering

On the Ice
Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Marin has star quality written all over. I think it's stupid JSF doesn't push her early enough. She should get massive PCS over any junior girls and she doesn't. Even if they give her 5 points lead in PCS, no one will cry foul. She's like a better Mao at that age (minus the 3A)

I don't think that's JSF's fault...

Marin has it all. The moment she's turning senior, she should be Japan #1. They should push the hell out of her now. It's ridiculous that at her own national championship, her PCS is ridiciulous low compare to what she's bringing. Her PCS should be Satoko's level.

I think they're already pushing her a lot, and her PCS is not quite Satoko's level yet. And as for being #1:

Is the #1 the best skater Japan has overall in terms of TES, PCS, and packaging, regardless of her achievements?
Or...
Is the #1 the skater who is very reliable with the greatest achievements and can proudly represent Japan for those achievements?

The latter should be how things go, with the former being one of the supporting factors. Even though Marin has the star quality, she's still inexperienced. There's no way Marin should be #1 "the moment she's turning senior". It would be unfair to crown someone who is just up from juniors right after (or even before?) her first competition, even if she has all the goods of figure skating.

Give Marin a full senior season to prove herself WHILE ALSO evaluating her results and then they could consider giving her the #1 ranking.

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yes, Marin prerotates. Especially the 3F in her SP today. I'm also not a fan of the way she picks her toe, nor her air position. But her jumps are a little higher than Satoko's so I guess that makes her more of a "full package".

Marin's 3F and 3Lz really bothers me... they just don't look good because of the sideways toe-picking and the extreme pre-rotation of the whole torso. But this flawed technique stems from the fact that she has a bunion and has to cope with it. I think she and Coach Hamada are doing what they can, but the 3F and 3Lz are not going to look quite right until this physical condition goes away and she can fix her technique. :confused2:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marin needs to earn being Japan's No.1 lady just any skater has to earn it. The US tried to push Gracie as the new US No.1 lady before she even skated a Senior event and didn't let her develop like she should have and she couldn't handle it at first and it took a couple years before she won Nationals and went to Sochi as the US No.1 lady.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Marin needs to earn being Japan's No.1 lady just any skater has to earn it. The US tried to push Gracie as the new US No.1 lady before she even skated a Senior event and didn't let her develop like she should have and she couldn't handle it at first and it took a couple years before she won Nationals and went to Sochi as the US No.1 lady.

Marin has it all. Gracie has triple lutz-triple toe and decent skating skills. At the same age, Gracie is more like Wakaba. Sorry, not even close.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marin has it all. Gracie has triple lutz-triple toe and decent skating skills. At the same age, Gracie is more like Wakaba. Sorry, not even close.
My point is like Gracie Marin can be a bit of a headcase at times so why put all that pressure on her? She is not the most consistent skater either.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure any skater should ever be pushed by a Federation. It seems like Japan produces Michelle Kwan types - consistent, controlled, pretty program skaters. All of them are so lovely; jumps are usually consistent - not spectacular or extremely big but controlled and relatively clean. I do wonder if Mao will truly fight back.

Barb

Record Breaker
I am not sure any skater should ever be pushed by a Federation. It seems like Japan produces Michelle Kwan types - consistent, controlled, pretty program skaters. All of them are so lovely; jumps are usually consistent - not spectacular or extremely big but controlled and relatively clean. I do wonder if Mao will truly fight back.

Consistent skaters? , Satoko is consistent, but the other skaters not much.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wakaba Higuchi is so much more than decent skating skills and a 3Lz-3T. She took this program and owned it with the maturity of a seasoned senior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_iV5axurc

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully Wakaba is in good shape again and her injury she had at 4CC healed. If she could only deliver to her full potential at WC :sad21:

(Probably won't change the fact that she will get pushed aside for Marin next season no matter what she does. But a good worlds showing is nice either way)

Status
Not open for further replies.