Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To tell the truth, I don't think that the Federation needs to "push" anyone. Another couple of performances like what Marin showed at Junior Worlds, and ... well, ISU judges have eyes, you know.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
To tell the truth, I don't think that the Federation needs to "push" anyone. Another couple of performances like what Marin showed at Junior Worlds, and ... well, ISU judges have eyes, you know.

I dislike that "pushing" agenda obstinately peddled by forum members like FlattFan too. There is no need for that, neither it will help his favoured skater (Marin).

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully Wakaba is in good shape again and her injury she had at 4CC healed. If she could only deliver to her full potential at WC :sad21:

(Probably won't change the fact that she will get pushed aside for Marin next season no matter what she does. But a good worlds showing is nice either way)

The judges liked her when the season started and she got pretty good PCS. I have faith that she has it within her to change the end of this season (just remove that flip from the short program...)

venx

Match Penalty
My point is like Gracie Marin can be a bit of a headcase at times so why put all that pressure on her? She is not the most consistent skater either.
She is when it counts... :agree:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f58ii

If you'd followed her struggles this season, you would never believe she manages to skate two programs of this magnitude at Worlds.
This girl was falling apart on ice and K&C, now just look at her, breaking personal bests in SP and LP. :drama:
And in the end she apologized for finishing second to her fans. :sad21:

You're MY Japanese #1, Marin Honda. :thank:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The judges liked her when the season started and she got pretty good PCS. I have faith that she has it within her to change the end of this season (just remove that flip from the short program...)

I wasn't really being serious, I was more trying to play a bit with the very far 'everyone needs to be pushed aside for princess Marin' crowd. Guess I should have made that a lot more obvious ;)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wakaba Higuchi is so much more than decent skating skills and a 3Lz-3T. She took this program and owned it with the maturity of a seasoned senior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_iV5axurc

Wakaba never skated clean internationally as far as I can remember. She's always making mistakes. Marin skated two world championship back to back cleanly. That's more than Wakaba has ever done. Wakaba is much more hyped from JSF for a few years and she hasn't delivered. Time to move on from her.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For a skater who looks stunning (decent height, cute/pretty face with expressive eyes) standing there, judges tend to recognize their positives more easily (Kaelyn Osmond is another example). I am not way they don't deserve their pcs, but other skaters who skate the same or close to what Marin or Kaelyn will try harder, work longer time, or be more consistent to let judges award them accordingly. This is Satoko's disadvantage. She is just too small, so as Mai, Karen Chen, or even Xiangning Li. Yuna S and Wakaba are more muscular, not your typical ballerina type of build. Still we have to wait to see how Marin's body develop in the next two years. She is not skinny now, which means she might develop some muscular legs in two years, which could go either way: give you more strength or weigh you down. Just look how Yuka Nagai changed in two years.

Another thing I found it common in Kaelyn and Marin is that they look very happy on ice. And I believe judges want to see happy faces because that make them happy too.

andromache

Record Breaker
I prefer Wakaba to Marin (I just think her jumps and spins are of higher quality, skating skills are similar, maybe a little less musical than Marin), but she's wayyyyy less consistent. But it'll all depend on how Marin does her GP events next season. She seems to peak much better later in the season - she takes time earlier in the season to get her feet under her. In an Olympic year, building momentum with clean performances is huge. See: Yulia. But that's not to say that having an Olympic MOMENT out of nowhere is impossible. See: Adelina. (I think Marin is more likely to have an Adelina moment than a Yulia one - I don't see her being consistent early on next season).

I'm not counting out Mai Mihara. Maybe not for OGM, but with some better programs, she could start earning better PCS, which is really all she needs.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I dislike that "pushing" agenda obstinately peddled by forum members like FlattFan too. There is no need for that, neither it will help his favoured skater (Marin).

Marin is not my favorite. Not top 5 favorite. Not top 10 favorite. I just think strategic wise, JSF should put their eggs there. Sometime, you can't just let skating speak for itself. You need to strategize!

magicalwords

On the Ice
This idea of "pushing" offends me to a great degree because Japan has many great skaters that can shine. Just because Marin looks "cute" and "marketable" shouldn't be the reason to "push" Marin as #1. Marin, in fact, should push herself by improving her jumps and refining her movement to the slightest detail. Marin glides softly on ice but what else? She isn't known for consistency. She has better jumps than Satoko but that's not saying much - her jumps are still low in height and not impressive. Her toe jump technique isn't good either. Both Mai and Wakaba have better jumps. She can work on her spins too since she travels a lot. Take a good look at Satoko's programs. Her movements are polished and refined and you can tell she pays a lot of attention to how she carries her body as she skates. It's great that Marin is blessed with such natural skating skills, but once she moves to seniors, there will be a lot more comparison involving other components of her programs against senior skaters. It will all depend on how she does. US tried hard to push Gracie as their #1, see what happened. If Marin actually puts in the time and effort to better her technique, carriage, and mental fortitude, then she will claim that #1 spot.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
This idea of "pushing" offends me to a great degree because Japan has many great skaters that can shine. Just because Marin looks "cute" and "marketable" shouldn't be the reason to "push" Marin as #1. Marin, in fact, should push herself by improving her jumps and refining her movement to the slightest detail. Marin glides softly on ice but what else? She isn't known for consistency. She has better jumps than Satoko but that's not saying much - her jumps are still low in height and not impressive. Her toe jump technique isn't good either. Both Mai and Wakaba have better jumps. She can work on her spins too since she travels a lot. Take a good look at Satoko's programs. Her movements are polished and refined and you can tell she pays a lot of attention to how she carries her body as she skates. It's great that Marin is blessed with such natural skating skills, but once she moves to seniors, there will be a lot more comparison involving other components of her programs against senior skaters. It will all depend on how she does. US tried hard to push Gracie as their #1, see what happened. If Marin actually puts in the time and effort to better her technique, carriage, and mental fortitude, then she will claim that #1 spot.

She isn't known for consistency? She just skated two biggest events in her life (world 2016, 2017) cleanly. Which girl did that? Wakaba? Nope. Satoko? Nope. Satoko made 1 mistake in each world championship, btw.
Satoko's programs are more polished, but she's no where near Marin's level at Marin's age.
US pushed Gracie because she was the best US got. Pushing her hard got her to 4th place at the Olympics. So yes, it paid off. She's a headcase who never skated clean anywhere internationally. She didn't even win Jr championship and wouldn't even medal this year under any circumstances. She wasn't crumbling because the US pushed her. She crumbled because she's not that good. Not even in the same level. Marin has it. Gracie doesn't.

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
The answer is yes, but I think they should "promote" her rather than "push" her. She's definitely ready to compete at the senior level.

IMHO this is my Japanese Depth Chart:
1. Marin Honda
2. Satoko Miyahara
3. Mai Mihara
4. Wakaba Higuchi
5. Kaori Sakamoto

I've heard from several skating enthusiasts that Marin loves to skate, but doesn't necessarily love to train. Not sure how this will impact her in the coming years whereas Satoko seems to have the passion to train and compete.

randomfan

Record Breaker
She isn't known for consistency? She just skated two biggest events in her life (world 2016, 2017) cleanly. Which girl did that? Wakaba? Nope. Satoko? Nope. Satoko made 1 mistake in each world championship, btw.
Satoko's programs are more polished, but she's no where near Marin's level at Marin's age.

That's not quite consistency. That's managing to peak at the right time, which was the end of the season for both this year and last year. If you look at her results up to this point in this season, you can see that they were pretty up and down. The word "consistent" fits a skater like Evgenia, Satoko or Alina more - being able to constantly deliver good skates event after event.

And also, Satoko didn't really make a mistake in the 2016 World Championships. She was pretty clean in both segments. There was a UR issue in the SP, but it didn't disrupt the performance.

magicalwords

On the Ice
US pushed Gracie because she was the best US got. Pushing her hard got her to 4th place at the Olympics. So yes, it paid off. She's a headcase who never skated clean anywhere internationally. She didn't even win Jr championship and wouldn't even medal this year under any circumstances. She wasn't crumbling because the US pushed her. She crumbled because she's not that good. Not even in the same level. Marin has it. Gracie doesn't.

You took two events a year apart to claim Marin is consistent enough / moreso than other ladies? How can we make the judgment of whether she's the type to thrive under pressure (and deliver at big competition) based on two events? It's rather funny that you're bringing Satoko in this because she's one of the most consistent ladies aside from Medvedeva right now. And why does it matter that Satoko wasn't near Marin's level at her age? What matters is their skill NOW and how much they can develop in the short time they have. Olympics are in a year.

I'm confused about your argument re: Gracie. My last point was that it doesn't matter how much federations "push" a skater unless they deliver. Gracie had the skills. She was not as fluid as Marin but she had quality jumps.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Marin is not my favorite. Not top 5 favorite. Not top 10 favorite. I just think strategic wise, JSF should put their eggs there. Sometime, you can't just let skating speak for itself. You need to strategize!

And ... what kind of authority you are to pull forward such entitled statements? And would JSF or anyone else care for your opinion? :scratch2: There is no sense in ''strategic wise putting their eggs blah blah'', what makes sense for me is to allow everyone (that includes Marin) to prove themselves in sports rivalry, that's all. If she's good enough than she will break through internationally on senior level on her own I am sure. Don't you think it's disrespectful towards the other Japanese ladies who're also competitive athletes? I don't see her as all that much better (not technically at least as it stands now) or prospective than them even if she's the most successful Japanese junior. Unless you mean all that marketability with some ongoing help of marketing / PR work around her and her family that the rest lack or can't afford so she's the best one "to push".

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
When you are picked to do something, whether at work or at school, is it disrespectful to other people? Maybe, but life isn't fair. Opportunities aren't readily available for everyone.

I didn't say she's consistent. Some of you said she's inconsistent. Well, if she is inconsistent, most of the girls are like that too. She managed to earn her spot on the team, earned her spot at the gpf for both year, earned her medals at the biggest event back to back. And someone kept on saying she's inconsistent. Well who is? If you steadily make the gpf and steadily earn your world spot, and steadily earn your world medal, how are you inconsistent? How many girls are more consistent? How is their result?

blackey

On the Ice
I've heard from several skating enthusiasts that Marin loves to skate, but doesn't necessarily love to train. Not sure how this will impact her in the coming years whereas Satoko seems to have the passion to train and compete.

I saw this as well, lol. But I think it had changed, at least at some degree, after she won unexpectedly last year. And she little sister 's raising might be helpful as well, Marin said in an interview that it is scary how talent her little sister is.

venx

Match Penalty
Comparing Marin's talent with Gracie's talent is basically trolling Marin's fans. Could you please don't do that? :scowl:

Status
Not open for further replies.