Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

On the Ice
Hoping Japan can earn more than 2 spots for the Olympics in Ladies. Will be tougher with Satoko out.

venx

Match Penalty
^ Can you translate a few words, please?
"Ioanna, Li'Kitsu, Ares, andromache and others - you better look out, cause one day I'll be Japanese number ONE! (points finger up)" :laugh:;)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Ioanna, Li'Kitsu, Ares, andromache and others - you better look out, cause one day I'll be Japanese number ONE! (points finger up)" :handw:

I can only hope you're being serious.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
:confused: Did anyone say that she'll never be number one?

I don't have a skater in this race but seriously :rolleye:

venx

Match Penalty
Don't ask me, I haven't claimed once Marin should be pushed as Japanese no.1.
For me, she is already no.1 - if only because of what hers and Satoko's very own coach Mie Hamada said: "without doubt Marin is my most talented student."
What else do you need?

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
To come as far as they do, all elite level skaters are talented. Not speaking of any skater in particular but talent (and hard work) does not always equal results. It's one of the harsh realities of the world, not just in figure skating.

Satoko has earned her place as Japan's current number one. She is a World Silver medalist. Current National Champ. Same with Wakaba and Mai. What will come, will come. When Marin comes up next season, the results will speak for themselves. Whoever delivers will be on top.

Barb

Record Breaker
For me, she is already no.1 - if only because of what hers and Satoko's very own coach Mie Hamada said: "without doubt Marin is my most talented student."
What else do you need?

She said that? I hate when coaches make that kind of comments :disapp:.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm happy that after all she proved she's still be a top contender at juniors, but i've never been a fan of her skating: it looks average to me on every aspect, there isn't a thing where she is great, better than anyone else (but i could say the same for Satoko)

randomfan

Record Breaker
I'm happy that after all she proved she's still be a top contender at juniors, but i've never been a fan of her skating: it looks average to me on every aspect, there isn't a thing where she is great, better than anyone else (but i could say the same for Satoko)

:confused:

Both Marin and Satoko have great aspects in parts of their skating. Maybe not necessarily the best, but still great.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

No, but you have made comments like it's trolling to compare Marin to Gracie in talent level - which is IMO putting down Gracie, whose skating is not my cup of tea at all, but who is a very talented skater in her own right. How is that any better?

I don't think anyone has said Marin isn't talented or can't become Japanese first by skating well (at least none of the posters you mentioned in your attempt at humor, snark or whatever it is). But not anybody agrees with her being so undoubtly superior to everybody else.
And for that Hamada quote being enough to prove Marin is Japanese number 1: Hamada isn't teaching every Japanese girl. And talent is far from everything - Gracie is a more talented skater than Ashley. Ashley is the world's medalist.

itiahs

Rinkside
Geez, Marin is great and all but she's still a potential number one. On another note, people must be starved for something other than tano & backloading to heap this much attention on the poor girl...

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:laugh:
I love Marin's skating but I agree that she is not particularly good at spins (weak among top junior ladies), nor jumps. Presentation? She excels in cute/happy program, more of a natural expression of herself. We have yet to see something different to prove she is in Mao's league in terms of artistry. She is only 15 and anything can happen.

Satoko: At least her spins are pretty good (especially when compare hers with Marin's). And she skated to more different styles, through she has a much longer career.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
I'll be honest. I didn't expected this thread to last soooo much. And I'm disappointed enough about how the discussion are going in this thread.
For me, no one has to be pushed. The skaters themselves has to skate at their best and earn the spot of leading girl.
At the same time, a real "fan" should have faith in his/her favourite athletes to skate well and to have the capabilities to gain good scores and earn that spot without the need to be pushed by the federation.
Everyone of us have to wait and see what happen in competition.
For me, there are some Japanese lady which have the potential not only to be Japan's no.1, but World's no.1.
Why push someone so hard? Let the competition starts and let the girls push each other to their limit :hap10:

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
:confused:

Both Marin and Satoko have great aspects in parts of their skating. Maybe not necessarily the best, but still great.

That's mostly what i said, okay maybe satoko has great spins, for some reasons i forgot her spins.

But Marin everytime i watch her i'm thinking on my mind "i'm watching a generic good japanese skater like Kaori Sakamoto or Yuna Shiraiwa", i don't know maybe it's just me, she needs a trademark thing and that could be pushing the TES a little more with more difficult combos or using the 10% bonus more, or skating an amazing program that everyone will remember 10 years from now.

Don't get me wrong the fact that she medalled twice at JW is still amazing, Adelina Sotnikova won gold at JW 2011 and silver at JW 2012 and then she became the Olympic Champion in 2014, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.