Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venx

Match Penalty
Looks like Phil Hersh is on Marin's bandwagon as well. :agree:

OMG Marin Honda (JPN) at jr worlds FS. Seamless, incredible flow out of jumps, ethereal. @SkatingLesson U wuz right!
Have just watched Marin Honda program 5 times. Utterly spellbinding. Most beautiful skating I have seen all year. Comp scores WAY too low
US women might be lucky she is about 7 weeks too young for senior worlds (if my often fallible math is right for once)
https://twitter.com/olyphil

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Marin is generic? I agree that she's genetically skating to high quality programs with high quality ease. It's like a well made everyday product, like a handbag, it is generic but it is the A+ quality.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
All I see here is that some fans of Marin don't seem to believe in her talent and skills all that much. If they did, they'd let time and her results speak for themselves. Surely, if someone is so incredibly skillful and talented, as they claim her to be, then there is no doubt she will float to the top and quickly. That is the only measure, senior results. Everything else (some of it quite ugly) is a lot of spin trying to obfuscate the real issue. There's no need for any pushing, or persuading or whatever, if she is such an unparalleled talent. Sit back and relax, and wait for next season.

moriel

Record Breaker
Marin's "thing" is not even about jumps or choreo, she just has that natural presence and charm.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
All I see here is that some fans of Marin don't seem to believe in her talent and skills all that much. If they did, they'd let time and her results speak for themselves. Surely, if someone is so incredibly skillful and talented, as they claim her to be, then there is no doubt she will float to the top and quickly. That is the only measure, senior results. Everything else (some of it quite ugly) is a lot of spin trying to obfuscate the real issue. There's no need for any pushing, or persuading or whatever, if she is such an unparalleled talent. Sit back and relax, and wait for next season.

All I see is so many people are shortsighted & naive. It's not about believe or not believe. It's all about marketing. You can have the best product in the world, but if you bungle the marketing, your product is nothing but a paper weight.

Do you really believe that everything should let the course of time speaks for itself? I know every marketing person in the world will disagree with you. I guess all the companies in the world are stupid and don't believe in their talent and skills because they spent billions on marketing and telling people how great their stuffs are.

JSF should start pushing Marin. Pushing isn't about backdoor dealing, regardless of what she does, pushing her to win Nationals. No, pushing is marketing her correctly, awarding her correct PCS, putting her name out there, marketing her strong points, drilling them into judges. If you don't agree with this, go back under the rock. This is how the real world work.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
No. It is disrespectful to give her PCS the same as the other girls when she's head and shoulder above them. I'm talking about how her PCS at Nationals are so low.
Is it disrespectful to other skaters when Jason Brown got much higher PCS than them?

What we do know now is she has very good skating skills, why isn't that reflected in her score. Do you honestly believe that her score are deserved compare to her peers?

She's not yet a goddess you're making out of her. Honda without doubt got some qualities that make her stand out (like musicality or smooth glide) and she proves herself in competitions, but other skaters have other qualities that can work in their favour too, hence making it closer than you think as they're usually better in them (Sakamoto's speed trumps Honda) or could be in the future. Also about her PCS - pretty good but not that vastly superior like you make it sound. I can think of other Japanese juniors or seniors that are better than her on their good day or at least as good in specific component. As for programs - she's compelling in cute, lighthearted stuff but we don't know more.

Either way, we will see. Hopefully no pushing.

What you suggest is your opinion, not some undisputed fact or view explicitly shared by most.

Last edited:

venx

Match Penalty
Also about her PCS - pretty good but not that vastly superior like you make it sound. I can think of other Japanese juniors or seniors that are better than her on their good day
Japanese junior deserving better PCS than Marin? Link to the video, if you please. :unsure:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Japanese junior deserving better PCS than Marin? Link to the video, if you please. :unsure:

Lol. Even the current jr world champion with the highest TES ever isn't better than Marin on PCS. What Japanese jr girl is better than Marin? They should be 5-10 points back at their best.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That's how I feel about Marin: if you put her among talented Japanese junior skaters, she is not better at spins or jumps. Her ss is better, but not night-and-day better. "Seamless" jumps that flow nice in and out? Mai and Kaori have them. Kaori is faster.

Marin advantage is her better body proportion, taller figure (larger presence on ice) and cuteness, which help. The fact Zagitova has "unbalanced" program does not mean Marin is perfect.

That's mostly what i said, okay maybe satoko has great spins, for some reasons i forgot her spins.

But Marin everytime i watch her i'm thinking on my mind "i'm watching a generic good japanese skater like Kaori Sakamoto or Yuna Shiraiwa", i don't know maybe it's just me, she needs a trademark thing and that could be pushing the TES a little more with more difficult combos or using the 10% bonus more, or skating an amazing program that everyone will remember 10 years from now.

Don't get me wrong the fact that she medalled twice at JW is still amazing, Adelina Sotnikova won gold at JW 2011 and silver at JW 2012 and then she became the Olympic Champion in 2014, so who knows.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Marin advantage is her better body proportion, taller figure (larger presence on ice) and cuteness, which help. The fact Zagitova has "unbalanced" program does not mean Marin is perfect.

I got a lot of crap from so many because I said Marin looks better than those girls. I guess I'm not the only one thinking that. :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This thread has gone on long enough. Everyone has had their say, so we are closing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.