Too old to skate competitively? | Golden Skate

Too old to skate competitively?

Jessie Crishaun

Spectator
I'm 15, going to be 16 this year, but I'm very slim; I weigh 89 pounds, and stand at 4'10. Figure skating has always been a dream of mine but I never felt I had any hopes of pursuing it seriously because up until recently, my family was not financially stable; and in addition to that, I never saw anyone participating who resembled me, so that was discouraging (I am African American). It saddens me now because I worry that I am too old to ever hope to seriously compete, plus I have NEVER skated on ice in my LIFE. At all. I wouldn't say I'm looking to go to the Olympics or anything; but I do want to get past the basics, get to the jumps and perhaps compete on a national level. Figure skating is my favorite sport; I adore the combined grace and athleticism and this year I wanted to take the first steps by taking ballet and basic ice skating first. Is it worth it, or are my goals wishful? Should I just forget about it? :scratch2:

NumberOneRobot

Rinkside
It's of course not too late for you to start skating and compete at some level. Sure, you're most likely never going to compete at US Nationals, but 99% of other skaters will never compete there either. And that's OK. If skating is your dream, then skate and it'll be worth it. If skating at Nationals is your dream, and you have no interest in figure skating if you're not going to compete at the national level, then I would spend my time and money elsewhere. For me, and I'd guess most others, the gratification from skating doesn't come from winning or going to a single competition, it's the daily practice, the camaraderie you have with other skaters, the triumphs after a series of falls. Sure, big competitions may be the icing on the cake, but if all you want is the icing you'll get sick of it real fast. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Disclaimer: Though I talk about competitions, this is really based on talking with other adult skaters, since I've only been skating a little over a year. :)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
The more hours per week you can skate, the more progress you can make.

National-level skaters train a lot starting from young ages. And even most girls who do put in 10 years of 10-20 or more hours per week on ice don't make it to Nationals. You probably won't have time to catch up.

But you can have fun learning new skills, and entering competitions at your appropriate skill level as you progress.

I take it you're in the US?

At this page you can find a "Illustration of progression through levels of Singles Free Skating (PDF) (9/1/16)"

Keep in mind that once you get to Pre-Preliminary level, it usually takes about 1 year to be ready to compete at the next level. If you choose to pass tests as soon as you have the minimum skills needed for the tests, you could move up more quickly through the test track. On the Well-Balanced track you'd be competing against skaters tend to have higher level skills than what's required on the tests, so it takes longer to feel ready to move up. Once you get started and are working with a coach, you could set goals that make sense for you personally.

loopy

Final Flight
If your family can't afford skating, check with your closest rink about getting aa job at the snack bar or skate counter. Then you might get a discount on the ice or classes. And then work hard and see what happens. Most importantly, have fun.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jessie - the biggest issue I see is that you state you have NEVER skated in your LIFE.

When you take that first step on the ice you're not magically going to be able to do much, in fact you may hate it. Balancing on a blade on a slippery surface is un-nerving at first. I work at the rink and I've seen this many times over; great enthusiasm followed by "OMG this is hard/scary" etc.

So step one is to take yourself to a rink, put on some skates and really see how comfortable you feel on the ice. I hope the feeling is a good one!

Jessie Crishaun

Spectator
Jessie - the biggest issue I see is that you state you have NEVER skated in your LIFE.

When you take that first step on the ice you're not magically going to be able to do much, in fact you may hate it. Balancing on a blade on a slippery surface is un-nerving at first. I work at the rink and I've seen this many times over; great enthusiasm followed by "OMG this is hard/scary" etc.

So step one is to take yourself to a rink, put on some skates and really see how comfortable you feel on the ice. I hope the feeling is a good one!

I am fully aware that I will not become an instant ice princess after I step on the ice for the first time, and I know how frustrating it can/will be. I'm very prepared to persevere. I don't approach new activities with naivete, nor negativity. Thanks anyway :) And thank you for your response.

Last edited:

Jessie Crishaun

Spectator
So, even if I don't go to the nationals, would you say I still have hope of becoming really, really good, say by the time I'm 23-24? Like doing jumps, and quads? That's considering I'm starting this year and will be practicing several times a week, as much as possible.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That's hard to say. Some people have natural ability and pick up skills quickly. Some have to work at a lot more. :)
I started in my late teens and got double jumps up to loops.

If you read some of the prior posted "Am I too late. . ." threads the consensus is that quads are unrealistic to attain starting at a later age. We're not being negative, just realistic.

And there is another competitive world out there once you're over 18 - the Adult track. And yes, there is an Adult Nationals with excellent competitors.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Like doing jumps, and quads?

There are male skaters who have been skating for 15+ years who never get quads.

You claim not to be approaching this with naivety, but that question shows an absolute boatload of it.

Jessie Crishaun

Spectator
There are male skaters who have been skating for 15+ years who never get quads.

You claim not to be approaching this with naivety, but that question shows an absolute boatload of it.

That's sort of a rude way to put it, but I'm sure you meant no harm. I concede to not being the most informed on realistic expectations, but I don't like to limit myself either. No one would ever be the "first" to do anything if they listened to people telling them not to even try. I'm okay if I never learn quads anyway, it was just a question. When I stated that I was not approaching this with naivete, I mainly meant that I wasn't expecting to become good overnight, or to go to the olympics.

guitarist

On the Ice
I think before you make any plans you should probably try it out a few times and figure out whether you actually like it. This forum always encourages new skaters, but there's a difference between that and unrealistic expectations. For starters, there's a huge gap between "jumps" and "quads." So far, Miki Ando's the only female skater who has landed a ratified quad in competition, so you're probably not going to get a quad. I think you should go for it and see how far you get, but really, there's no way we, who don't even know you, will have any clue what you're actually capable of. We're just saying that, statistically, most people who start at 5 never get to the level you want, so it's even less likely someone who starts at 15 will be able to. But skating doesn't have to be competitive to be enjoyable. We'd all like to be Johnny I-got-an-Axel-in-less-than-two-weeks Weir, but reality isn't that nice. So just do it at your own pace and enjoy!

Jessie Crishaun

Spectator
Yeah, in retrospect that was a pretty silly thing for me to say :laugh: Do you think doubles and spins are attainable? I honestly don't know at all; I'll admit. I really don't mind never getting to quads, or even triples, especially since it's as uncommon as you say. Could you give me an idea of the skills that are realistically attainable with about 7-8 years of consistent work? Also, I don't know if this is important but; as a child I was a gymnast for several years before we could no longer afford it, and I also have a very small bust. Those could be advantages, but I'm not sure.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Doubles are definitely a more realistic goal with hard work and lots of ice time. And spins and footwork are also things you can work at and get really good at. And working on tests is really rewarding. I hope you enjoy skating! As long as you love it the hard work is worth it!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, in retrospect that was a pretty silly thing for me to say :laugh: Do you think doubles and spins are attainable? I honestly don't know at all; I'll admit. I really don't mind never getting to quads, or even triples, especially since it's as uncommon as you say. Could you give me an idea of the skills that are realistically attainable with about 7-8 years of consistent work? Also, I don't know if this is important but; as a child I was a gymnast for several years before we could no longer afford it, and I also have a very small bust. Those could be advantages, but I'm not sure.

Why not just start skating for the love of it and see where it takes you?

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Doubles are definitely a more realistic goal with hard work and lots of ice time. And spins and footwork are also things you can work at and get really good at. And working on tests is really rewarding. I hope you enjoy skating! As long as you love it the hard work is worth it!

You may or not be able to get doubles but you can try. Being short and small chested doesnt mean you have the fast twitch muscles needed for those jumps. Skating several times a week is great but those with D/A and triples skate 3 hours a day 6 days a week.

I will tell you as a mom of two kids who have skated since they were 3 and now are 16 and 17 this is a time intensive sport that is HARD. Years of spins,falls, moves tests, hours of off ice, giving up a semi normal teenage life to skate at 6am. Its isnt for everyone and I have seen alot of people stop when it gets hard. Falling really isnt fun.

That said I would tell anyone to TRY! We live in a very small place with no coaching and limited ice and we do what we can for them to skate because they love it. But it takes time money ice and a determination to do what you need to do. Good luck

Last edited:

davincisoprano

Rinkside
Welcome to the world of skating. I am going to throw out there that I would highly recommend you focus on the basic skills instead of immediately thinking jumps and spins. The basic skills (stroking, crossovers, edges, turns, mohawks, etc) are the foundation of all skating and if they are weak, it doesn't matter if you're doing a double, it's not going to look good.

That said, there are people who started in their mid-20s with no prior skating experience who have worked their way up to doubles. But don't rush yourself just so you can say "I'm doing double jumps". Enjoy the journey, and take time to really perfect what you're working on.

I am someone who skated starting at 10, quit around 14/15 due to not having the time to commit to it and came back to it at 20/21 in college. I am now 29, and had to unfortunately give up my goals of landing doubles one day because I am not a natural jumper. However, I've spent YEARS perfecting my moves in the field and ended up that I am a fairly strong ice dancer. But be careful of overdoing it, take time to stretch, to strengthen, because it's easy to get an overuse injury if you're jumping the gun and trying to teach yourself something you're not ready for. I was overweight for years and that took a toll on my knees, thus leading to osteoarthritis and having to quit jumping.

Spins are attainable. If you've trained as a gymnast, you're more than likely more flexible than others starting at your age without that prior training. But you're going to get out of it what you put it. Don't compare yourself to another skater because you all have different journeys you are on and different backgrounds. Just enjoy your own.

loopy

Final Flight
Why not just start skating for the love of it and see where it takes you?

A thousand times - YES! Personally I think the whole "What do you want to be/study/go to college etc" from age 5 makes people think they can't do something if there is no payout at the end. Just sign up for a group lesson and see what happens next. It is okay to try a sport and do it because you love doing it. Make next step, personal goals not long range goals when you have never put on ice skates.

Lysambre

Final Flight
Also, you can look up for videos of Surya Bonaly, Mae Berenice Meite (for singles) and Vanessa James (for pairs).

posha

Rinkside
If you have never skated before I agree with others who have said the first thing is to get out there on the ice. Go to a public skate, maybe take a friend, lace up and touch the ice. You will know pretty quickly if it is for you. Maybe you rollerskate or rollerblade, so you may feel ok. But ice is---well-- slippery :hap85::dbana: and can be scary and dangerous. Wear a helmet if you can your first time.

If you DO decide you want to continue with lessons, I'd recommend two things: sign up for group class (you will make friends and be able to check out a variety of teachers and see how you progress) and for private lesson hire an ICE DANCE coach. Why ice dance? They will drill the fundamentals of skating into you, and from there all the "tricks" i.e. spins and jumps will feel more natural and secure for you in future. And you will look pleasant doing them :) What's the point of doing a pretty spin or leaping from the ice if your crossovers are ugly and clunky or you fall over exiting a jump bc you have no edge?? Everything in figure skating comes from the edges. Work on stroking, skating skills, edges forwards and backwards and gain some level of mastery of that BEFORE trying the "tricks". Then you can have a nice looking program to music. People appreciate watching beautiful movement on ice, sometimes more than a bunch of tricks, though those are cool too ;) Get an ice dance coach to teach you fundamentals.

Nothing can substitute good technique.