A Case for Mirai Nagasu | Golden Skate

A Case for Mirai Nagasu

AC96

Rinkside
Hey, everyone, just did a quick write up of an opinion piece that I'm hoping to submit to the student newspaper at my university regarding sending Mirai to worlds. Would love for members of this board to give it a quick read and address any misinformation and make sure that my points and argument are sound - I'll continue to tinker with it as it goes through the editing process. Thanks!

A Slippery Slope: A Case for Nagasu on the World Team

After the ladies free skate at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships on Jan. 21, 23-year-old Mirai Nagasu found herself in a familiar position: barely missing a berth on the three-woman World Championship team with her fourth place finish.

Her consolation prize came when silver medalist Ashley Wagner withdrew from February’s less prestigious Four Continents Championships, as per usual, to prepare for worlds in March.

Fast forward to the morning of Feb. 16 after the Four Continents short program, where skaters from Australia, Asia and the Americas compete as they build towards worlds. My eyes tend to instinctively drift to tops of leaderboards, searching for the Americans — after all, I grew up spoiled under the dominances of American legends like Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen — only to find my gaze and my heart sinking continually lower. Nagasu was in fifth place. National bronze medalist Mariah Bell was in seventh. And our national champion, Karen Chen? Twelfth.

Two days later, Nagasu skated a career best free program, surging to a bronze medal — and robbed of silver — 18 points ahead of Bell and 28 in front of Chen in a sport decided by tenths. Nagasu has recorded the highest international short program (73.40) and free program (132.04) scores of any American lady this season, with her highest combined total (194.95) second only to Wagner’s 196.44. In comparison, Bell’s highest international scores are lacking: a 61.21 short program, a 130.67 free program and 191.59 combined; Chen’s, even more mediocre: 58.76, 121.11 and 179.39.

The US Figure Skating Association’s (USFSA) record of naming international teams prematurely after nationals — two months before worlds — has a history of backfiring. In 2011, Nagasu was again an alternate for worlds, but easily defeated her compatriots at Four Continents a few weeks later. The world assignments were not reconsidered despite Nagasu’s strong showing, and Rachael Flatt finished twelfth. In 2012, Alissa Czisny remained on the team even as every sign pointed to her performance deteriorating over the course of the season. She fell seven times and finished 22nd, the worst result for an American lady since Nicole Bobek failed to qualify for the free skate in 1994.

Of course, reevaluating international team assignments after they have already been named would be unprecedented for the USFSA. The argument against it as unsportsmanlike and unfair to the athlete is valid. But in a sport like figure skating, so often condemned for its occupation with the outdated and archaic — beauty standards, gender roles, policking — setting a precedent is a welcome change. Human achievement and fair play are both fundamental tenets of competition, but in a field where, even if results aren’t everything, they sure feel like it, performance, not feelings, must take priority.

One only needs to look at the Russian Skating Federation, which still has deigned to publish its world team roster and has replaced skaters who skate poorly after their nationals and before worlds, or the US women’s gymnastics team, which has revolutionized a centralized system of training camps under Bela and Martha Karolyi that allows coaches to constantly monitor gymnasts’ ability and condition. The similarity between the two systems is clear — constant competition builds a preternatural level of mental fortitude and drive with the overarching message that should they falter, a plethora of equally talented women are ready to replace them.

The result? US gymnasts have not lost a major team competition since 2011 and boast the last four Olympic all-around champions; the Russian ladies field is so embarrassingly deep that two reigning Olympic gold medalists and the reigning world champion were left off the team last year, and are favorites to sweep the podium.

Ultimately, regardless of which of Bell, Chen or Nagasu is left at home, the medal prospects of these three is slim to none. So why does it matter?

Placements at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships will dictate the number of athletes the USFSA can send to next year’s Winter Olympics and worlds; a combined placement of 13 or less by the top two skaters (e.g., 4th and 9th or 6th and 7th) will keep three spots. With three Russians fighting for medals, three Japanese ladies nipping at their heels, a resurgent Carolina Kostner back from a two-year hiatus and the inconsistent but heavily propped-up Canadians Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabrielle Daleman to contend with, there is a strong likelihood that Wagner may finish no higher than 5th — and Bell and Chen far below that, jeopardizing that valuable third Olympic berth.

Nagasu has been competing at this level since winning nationals at 14; Chen and Bell have five years of senior international experience between them. Nagasu’s experience and ability to peak when it counts most is our best bet at maintaining three spots, a far easier feat than regaining them.

Realistically, despite calls for change from every corner of the skating community — fans, journalists, coaches — the USFSA will do things the way it always has. Wagner, Bell and Chen will compete at worlds in Helsinki. Bell and Chen will botch one, if not both, of the two programs they skate. Our national ladies champion will tumble outside the top 10 for the first time since Czisny’s 11th place finish in 2009. We will resort to sending Wagner and a non-contender to Pyeongchang, coming to terms with the slow, bitter end of the American ladies’ reign, and biding our time, energy and talking points for when this debate is inevitably brought out onto thin ice again.

Your move, USFSA.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You forgot the part where the Mirai fans are basically demanding that the USFS strip one of the current World team members of their spot - exactly what said Mirai fans were screeching their heads off about in 2014.

You can't have it both ways. If you think what happened in 2014 was wrong/unfair/etc, then you should realise that what you're demanding now is wrong/unfair/etc.

AC96

Rinkside
You forgot the part where the Mirai fans are basically demanding that the USFS strip one of the current World team members of their spot - exactly what said Mirai fans were screeching their heads off about in 2014.

You can't have it both ways. If you think what happened in 2014 was wrong/unfair/etc, then you should realise that what you're demanding now is wrong/unfair/etc.

Valid point, but I actually DON'T think what happened in 2014 was unfair or wrong. I am a Mirai fan, but I completely support the decision they made then and knew that Ashley was the best choice over Mirai and that Polina was an investment in the future. So I'm not guilty of any hypocrisy on that end.

Back to the original question. Are there any fundamental holes or flaws in the article itself for sending Mirai over Mariah or Karen?

berry8

Final Flight
I would be glad at seeing Mirai at worlds... But realistically she won't be there :/
You could add the fact that she's currenlty training 3a which only 5 women have successfully landed in comp !!

AC96

Rinkside
I would be glad at seeing Mirai at worlds... But realistically she won't be there :/
You could add the fact that she's currenlty training 3a which only 5 women have successfully landed in comp !!

Awesome, thank you for the feedback! I'll try to fit it in somewhere (but I think I'm already over word count).

And yeah, I know she won't be there - and I didn't have any illusions that a 20 year old college student's OpEd would change that. :) Just thought I should bring up a new talking point on our campus!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
inconsistent but heavily propped-up Canadians Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabrielle Daleman

inconsistent perhaps... but not more than the Americans, especially Mirai who is capable of making carrot soup every other program.... i find that a bit much... and if you want to be taken seriously, perhaps it's best to avoid such value judgments on the sport.

policking doesn't exist either... politicking...

w_darling

On the Ice
I think that whether intentionally or not, the way you've framed Mirai's story ignores that Mirai has also been a highly inconsistent competitor, which no doubt played a factor in the USFSA's decision-making.

Mirai's story is a compelling one -- it's hard not to feel sympathy for her knowing that she has so much untapped potential -- and the current U.S. women's situation does feel pretty dire (that is, if one does care about the U.S. team's quest for 3 spots, which not everyone does). But I think you need to step back and try to figure out what your main point is in this piece. Is it that Mirai deserves to be on the 2017 worlds team? Or is it that the USFSA needs to revise its policy for picking world teams, including the timing of the announcement? If the former, then I think you need to actually address the real issues associated with revising the team roster now (if the USFSA can easily set aside its own rules mid-season, how are athletes supposed to operate within its system and be able to expect that the USFSA will always act in good faith?). If the latter, then I think Mirai's story could make a good lede, but shouldn't be the sole driver of the piece.

(I'd also drop the "robbed of silver" bit either way -- it's a distractor and I'm not sure it's quite fair to Gabby Daleman, who won the SP and placed 3rd, right behind Mirai, in the FS.)

moriel

Record Breaker
Currently, I have a feel that any USA lady is a question mark. Even Ashley - she can be good, but she also had epic meltdowns even this season.
So replacing one in the team will not really add more certainty.

AC96

Rinkside
inconsistent perhaps... but not more than the Americans, especially Mirai who is capable of making carrot soup every other program.... i find that a bit much... and if you want to be taken seriously, perhaps it's best to avoid such value judgments on the sport.

policking doesn't exist either... politicking...

Oof, thanks for catching that! It's late here and I was being careless. And yeah, I don't think we disagree on anything; my point is that the Osmond (and now Daleman apparently?) seem to be judges favorites and the Americans aren't, so if they skate equally poorly, which is what I imagine might happen, the Canadians will wind up on top. Osmond had a nightmare at 4CC and still scored really well.

Think I'll keep the "value judgments" in, just to stir the pot ;) - just because I love the sport doesn't necessarily mean I love every aspect about it! (Which is an opinion article for another day)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oof, thanks for catching that! It's late here and I was being careless. And yeah, I don't think we disagree on anything; my point is that the Osmond (and now Daleman apparently?) seem to be judges favorites and the Americans aren't, so if they skate equally poorly, which is what I imagine might happen, the Canadians will wind up on top. Osmond had a nightmare at 4CC and still scored really well.

Think I'll keep the "value judgments" in, just to stir the pot ;) - just because I love the sport doesn't necessarily mean I love every aspect about it! (Which is an opinion article for another day)

i don't know about how correct your statement is. I doubt Canadians are being propped up.. oh well..

AC96

Rinkside
I think that whether intentionally or not, the way you've framed Mirai's story ignores that Mirai has also been a highly inconsistent competitor, which no doubt played a factor in the USFSA's decision-making.

Mirai's story is a compelling one -- it's hard not to feel sympathy for her knowing that she has so much untapped potential -- and the current U.S. women's situation does feel pretty dire (that is, if one does care about the U.S. team's quest for 3 spots, which not everyone does). But I think you need to step back and try to figure out what your main point is in this piece. Is it that Mirai deserves to be on the 2017 worlds team? Or is it that the USFSA needs to revise its policy for picking world teams, including the timing of the announcement? If the former, then I think you need to actually address the real issues associated with revising the team roster now (if the USFSA can easily set aside its own rules mid-season, how are athletes supposed to operate within its system and be able to expect that the USFSA will always act in good faith?). If the latter, then I think Mirai's story could make a good lede, but shouldn't be the sole driver of the piece.

(I'd also drop the "robbed of silver" bit either way -- it's a distractor and I'm not sure it's quite fair to Gabby Daleman, who won the SP and placed 3rd, right behind Mirai, in the FS.)

This was phenomenal feedback, thank you so much for this. My point is definitely the latter, with the 2017 world team as just one example of why they should reevaluate how and when they do assignments.

Regarding Mirai being an inconsistent competitor, you are absolutely correct and I'll address this in the piece. I would posit that most of the inconsistency we criticize her for is from her lack of success on the Grand Prix series, and it's quite clear that Mirai is not an early season skater. But generally speaking, she's done well enough at nationals and 4CC for me to think that she skate decently - not necessarily great or well, but decently enough - at worlds too.

Once again, appreciate your feedback!
ETA: do you have a background in journalism? or is "lede" just a part of your daily lexicon?

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking as longtime editor who worked on her university's newspaper: I'm curious as to why this article would be submitted to that publication instead of to a skating site. Usually, the articles on a student paper's op-ed page would concern issues of high interest to many people on campus. I can't see how this would be one of them.

Last edited:

Suze

Rinkside
That was fun to read! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize that Alissa csizny finished in 22nd place back in 2012 or that Nicole Bobek didn't even make it to the free in 1994!

Could you also add something about what the cost will be i.e. losing 3 spots right before the olympics (our holy grail)? If USFSA were to make an unprecedented decision, it would be to protect its three spots for the ladies event.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The difference at US Nationals between Mirai and Mariah is minuscule, thus subjected to random judging. This is why at the time I said they should send both to 4CC to get it sorted out. People are talking like Mariah deserves it more. She doesn't. She bombed both phrases of the competition at Nationals. Otherwise she wouldn't have won over Mirai by such a small margin. Had both skated the same way somewhere else, not sure if Mariah would come out on top. This is why it makes sense to keep Mariah at home this year.

2014 was a bad choice. Ashley doesn't have to be at the 2014 Olympics. She had 0 chance of a medal. Why going against the grain for a no chance no deal skater.

This time, the spots are on the line.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A Slippery Slope: A Case for Nagasu on the World Team

... My point is definitely the latter, with the 2017 world team as just one example of why they should reevaluate how and when they do assignments. ...

The title of your piece is confusing on multiple levels.

To what does "slippery slope" refer?
I am well aware of the common metaphor of "slippery slope" -- what I am saying is that it is not at all clear what you mean by "slippery slope" in the context of your topic.

If you are making a case for Mirai to replace someone on the 2017 world team, are you saying that it would be a slippery slope for USFS to renege on a previously announced assignment?
I do think that reneging would indeed be a slippery slope ... but it would make no sense to me to have your title undermine your own argument as to why Mirai should be a replacement.

If you are using Mirai only as an example of why you believe USFS should change its policy going forward (but not retroactively), then you are not really making a case for Mirai, so your title does not make sense.
And I have no idea what slippery slope would be associated with changing the policy going forward (but not retroactively).

Speaking as longtime editor who worked on her university's newspaper: I'm curious as to why this article would be submitted to that publication instead of to a skating site. Usually, the articles on a student paper's op-ed page would concern issues of high interest to many people on campus. I can't see how this would be one of them.

Have to agree.

The extensive amount of "inside baseball" in your piece is making my eyes glaze over -- and as a member of GS, I even have the advantage of already being familiar with most of it.

I am guessing that many readers of your student newspaper do not have that advantage, and I think the endless details that you have crammed in would be overwhelming to them.

Just one example of what I mean: You're throwing around a lot of names -- and I think it would be hard enough for those who do not already follow skating to keep track of Nagasu, Wagner, Chen, and Bell ... never mind the references to Flatt, Czisny, Bobek, Kostner, Osmond, Daleman.

If you're going to publish this piece in your student newspaper, then I strongly suggest that you simplify/reduce your many explanations of all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle -- while still conveying why the topic "matters." Easier said than done, but I think you have to find a way.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
2014 was a bad choice. Ashley doesn't have to be at the 2014 Olympics. She had 0 chance of a medal. Why going against the grain for a no chance no deal skater. This time, the spots are on the line.

If Ashley had "0 chance of a medal" in 2014, then Mirai had 000 chance.
And, yes, there indeed were things on the line for USA skating: the team event at Sochi and team spots for 2015, as determined at 2014 Worlds.

It should be noted that in the team selections for 2014, it was never stated that Mirai was dumped in favor of Ashley. In fact, according to the criteria that had been announced the previous summer, Ashley was ahead of everyone (even Gracie) for a place on the team, based on her 2013 showing in GP final, worlds and nationals. And then Gracie was far ahead of everyone else (and got an automatic bid by winning 2014 nationals). It is entirely possible that any discussion involved Polina vs. Mirai, not Ashley vs. Mirai.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Who are "the Mirai fans who want to strip a current World team member" from going?" People--not all "Mirai fans"--can think the USFSA made a mistake who they named to the World team this year without demanding that they change their minds.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Ashley had "0 chance of a medal" in 2014, then Mirai had 000 chance.
And, yes, there indeed were things on the line for USA skating: the team event at Sochi and team spots for 2015, as determined at 2014 Worlds.

It should be noted that in the team selections for 2014, it was never stated that Mirai was dumped in favor of Ashley. In fact, according to the criteria that had been announced the previous summer, Ashley was ahead of everyone (even Gracie) for a place on the team, based on her 2013 showing in GP final, worlds and nationals. And then Gracie was far ahead of everyone else (and got an automatic bid by winning 2014 nationals). It is entirely possible that any discussion involved Polina vs. Mirai, not Ashley vs. Mirai.

I never thought Ashley should have been left off the team in 2014. I do think there was a case for leaving Edmunds off of either the World or Olympic teams--or both.

andromache

Record Breaker
Surely there are issues worth writing about that will be of more relevance to your audience?

Mirai should've stepped on the GP series (like Mariah did, or like Ashley did in 2013) or during her LP at Nationals (like Karen did). 4CCs medal? Too little too late.

USFS may decide to change the rules in future seasons, and that might not be a bad thing. However, to renege now and break their own rules and/or pressure a lady to withdraw would be a disaster, not only for the quality of US skating going forward (if they can't trust their own federation, imagine the nerves!) but also from a PR perspective.

andromache

Record Breaker
Also, just want to add:

Senior international experience sure doesn't mean much when first-year seniors are winning world medals.

You fail to acknowledge that Mirai probably has only a slightly more of a chance at placing higher than Mariah/Karen?

The slow death of US ladies skating? Really? The doom and gloom towards the end of your article defies common sense. Even if it were true - Mirai is hardly the savior of the US ladies, as much as we might want her to be.