2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Ladies pre-event thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Will Evgenia break another records? Who will get on the podium. Which countries will get 3 spots? Let's talk about it here.

Yes, I think Medvedeva will set some kind of record. She never makes a mistake that might allow a rival competitor any hope.

I am most looking forward to see whether Osmond and Daleman will be able to kick up some sand.

For some reason, I am pinning my hopes on Mariah Bell to snatch our U.S. chestnuts out of the fire, starting with a solid short. :yes:

breadstal

Record Breaker
I feel that Evgenia will make one big and one small mistake in free :laugh: But will hit 80s in short, lol. 3 spots for Russia and Japan. Podium will be with Medvedova, Pogo and one more skater from Japan, USA or Canada EDIT: I forgot Carolina. I hope my faves will skate great :agree:

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
In the past seasons judges were more strict in the SP but it's changing now. I didn't expect that Evgenia would get a new WR at Europeans, so if she goes clean at Worlds I am sure she will get 80+ in the SP.
In the LP I'm not sure, I also think she might make a bigger mistake.
When I first saw her live (Europeans last season) I felt that she would make a mistake. And voila, she fell on her last 2A in the free.

I think Anna Pogorilaya gets the silver if she is mistake-free. A Japanese lady or Carolina Kostner might get the bronze.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of Evgenias skating by any means, and I'd still criticize a lot about her (from her jumping technique to her spread eagles), but all the weird way-over-the-top complaining about her, or how everything is so boring because she's so likely to win anyway, has actually changed my mind somewhat - I hope she skates great and wins this in glorious fashion. Just because I'd love the outcry :laugh:

Aside from that, I hope Anna skates well and gets scored fairly. She's clear #2 if she does that IMO.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yes, Evgenia will win this. My wish is for Anna to win this but i have a strange fear that the judges will underscore her again so that Russia won't be one, two. If Med/Pogo 1/2 then Sotskova, Miyahara and Kostner will battle it out for the bronze. American ladies won't win a thing and Canadians won't be able to bring two perfect programs that are needed to podium. All in all, your usual Ladies Competition.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I have a weird feeling Mai Mihara's gonna be surprise world bronze medalist. If she skates clean once again she will hit 210 and it might be enough. She got her momentum and confidence boost at 4cc.
I am almost sure US will loose 3 spots.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have a weird feeling Mai Mihara's gonna be surprise world bronze medalist. If she skates clean once again she will hit 210 and it might be enough. She got her momentum and confidence boost at 4cc.
I am almost sure US will loose 3 spots.

Satoko is madly consistent and rightfully gets more PCS than Mai. I can see her beat Sotskova perhaps, but imagine Carolina like at Europeans, do you think the judges will give it to Mai, even if her tech is better? No...Mai is strong..but I think the only way for this to happen is if Anna is off podium and Satoko makes a mistake.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Satoko is madly consistent and rightfully gets more PCS than Mai. I can see her beat Sotskova perhaps, but imagine Carolina like at Europeans, do you think the judges will give it to Mai, even if her tech is better? No...Mai is strong..but I think the only way for this to happen is if Anna is off podium and Satoko makes a mistake.

Satoko is coming from hip injury so I am keeping my expectations low. If Mai skates clean once again she will get better PCS and better GOE as well. Of course Satoko will still get much better pcs but getting rotations and shape after injury will be crucial for her, also depends on tech panel too, If panel will be out for blood I have no big hopes for Satoko and US ladies.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of Evgenias skating by any means, and I'd still criticize a lot about her (from her jumping technique to her spread eagles), but all the weird way-over-the-top complaining about her, or how everything is so boring because she's so likely to win anyway, has actually changed my mind somewhat - I hope she skates great and wins this in glorious fashion. Just because I'd love the outcry :laugh:

Aside from that, I hope Anna skates well and gets scored fairly. She's clear #2 if she does that IMO.

I think people are rarely bored if it is their Favourite who keeps winning all the time. "I'm so bored nao! I wish someone would turn up and beat my Favourite Skater X - I've got so sick of them winning all things... Yawn..." ;))

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It is a strange concept...as I don't think we've seen this kind of dominance in sometime. Even with Yuna Kim, there was always Mao Asada to shake things up -- not mention a mix of players for the bronze. And even Michelle Kwan didn't win everything either internationally -- her long tenure is what allowed her to rack up those World titles. and she only won back-to-back titles once

I was going to even say Katarina Witt in the late 80s could be an example, but even then you had the likes of Debi Thomas playing spoiler. This streak of winning, in my opinion is pretty unheard of in Ladies, IMO.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The only country we can be sure to get 3 spots for the Olympics is Russia. USA, Canada and Japan are on shakier grounds, though since I do like pretty much all of the ladies, having no specific loyalties to any one, I wish they all place well enough to get the maximum spots for their respective countries.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
honestly - no expectations from me, just wish that Anna and Satoko will enter to this competition as healthy as they can be. And give their best.

Then - I madly want to US and Canadian ladies to do well, ALL of them, regardless of circumstances.

And wish for total bounce back for Wakaba, keeping on climbing up for Mai.

After all, I will feel sad either way, because it is highly unlikely that all of above will become real...

sallycinnamon

Medalist
It is a strange concept...as I don't think we've seen this kind of dominance in sometime. Even with Yuna Kim, there was always Mao Asada to shake things up -- not mention a mix of players for the bronze. And even Michelle Kwan didn't win everything either internationally -- her long tenure is what allowed her to rack up those World titles. and she only won back-to-back titles once

I was going to even say Katarina Witt in the late 80s could be an example, but even then you had the likes of Debi Thomas playing spoiler. This streak of winning, in my opinion is pretty unheard of in Ladies, IMO.

Between 2008 October and 2010 February Yuna won only one silver medal (GPF 2008), all the others were gold (that's 7 gold from 8 competitions, while Medvedeva won 8 golds in a row).
She was so dominant in that period, but at the same time, Mao was not a real threat to her (no Worlds podium in 2009, hasn't even qualified for GPF 2009). I think Yuna was as dominant as Medvedeva now. But if Evgenia continues her dominancy next season, then yes, it will be unbelievable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Between 2008 October and 2010 February Yuna won only one silver medal (GPF 2008), all the others were gold (that's 7 gold from 8 competitions, while Medvedeva won 8 golds in a row).
She was so dominant in that period, but at the same time, Mao was not a real threat to her (no Worlds podium in 2009, hasn't even qualified for GPF 2009). I think Yuna was as dominant as Medvedeva now. But if Evgenia continues her dominancy next season, then yes, it will be unbelievable.

Yeah, that crossed my mind -- whether this dominance can last for more than two seasons. We'll see. :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think this is the last season she will dominate like this - because we know who's coming into seniors next season. And if she becomes World Champion this year it's only 2 back-to-back titles. Impressive yes, but not unheard of. I actually hope that she'll reinvent herself for the next year, but I doubt it. It will be soft piano pieces, and light airy classical melodies 'til the end.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
I actually hope that she'll reinvent herself for the next year, but I doubt it. It will be soft piano pieces, and light airy classical melodies 'til the end.
I would love to see a classical program with soft piano pieces from her.
maybe.... something like her last EX from TAT gala.:love:

And if she becomes World Champion this year it's only 2 back-to-back titles.
+1 for her Junior World title .... she is first who won back-to-back Junior World Championships and Senior World Championships.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think this is the last season she will dominate like this - because we know who's coming into seniors next season. And if she becomes World Champion this year it's only 2 back-to-back titles. Impressive yes, but not unheard of. I actually hope that she'll reinvent herself for the next year, but I doubt it. It will be soft piano pieces, and light airy classical melodies 'til the end.

"Only" :rolleye:

I think you are quite wrong about her not changing styles eventually. Look how diverse her exhibitions are. She's only been in seniors for 2 seasons and you think she isn't going to want to switch things up at some point? Of course she will.

So is this just going to be 100 pages of people whining about Evgenia again?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Yeah, that crossed my mind -- whether this dominance can last for more than two seasons. We'll see. :)

Well, next season there's Alina and Polina coming up from the juniors, though they'll need a big boost in PCS to get anywhere near what Zhenya is getting. But at this point I'm not sure if there's anyone who can get near her, unless it's Anna. Maybe.