Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Nancy was quiet but gracious on the show, very complimentary of her partner and the show's crew and staff. I also thought Artem seemed really glad to have her as a partner, they did some great dances with good dance content -- and that Artem actually seemed more bummed than Nancy at their elimination. His face looked so stony there for a minute! But she definitely does not have a "draw you in" type of personality.

It was unfortunate that Simone and Sasha chose Nancy and Artem for their dance off -- she just might have survived for another week if the dance off points had gone differently overall. One more week was probably it, but it would have been good to see her in the final five over (for me) Bonner and Sharna (even though I adore Sharna). Or even David, much as I like to see the fun he is having.

I hope Rashad wins it all, though he probably won't. Simone hasn't been quite as good as I thought she'd be -- though her Charleston routine was cute, cute, cute. I'm guessing it will be Normani. But Rashad is a really great dancer, I think, and comfortable with most of the dance styles, and super likeable.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read something that stated the show's producers think that people are voting for their favorite pro dancer rather than the celebrity.

If that were the case, then Maks & his partner would still be in the competition.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was unfortunate that Simone and Sasha chose Nancy and Artem for their dance off -- she just might have survived for another week if the dance off points had gone differently overall. One more week was probably it, but it would have been good to see her in the final five over (for me) Bonner and Sharna (even though I adore Sharna). Or even David, much as I like to see the fun he is having.

The dance off didn't have anything to do with Nancy's elimination. She was eliminated on week 7 (dance off week) based on the week 6 scores and votes. It would have mattered only if she'd gone one more week.

That said, I'm surprised at the dance-off picks. Early on, the first team to pick (the strongest team) would pick someone they felt they could easily beat. Then one year Val deliberately chose the strongest opponent, saying he wanted to make the dance off relevant by doing up against (and hopefully beating) his closes rival. It's usually been done that way since then, and considered "unsporting" to pick someone who is obviously weaker.

If Val hadn't gotten immunity, he would have picked the strongest opponent available, either Rashad or Simone. I thought the "I picked her because she was another Olympian" was a lame reason. You picked her because you thought you could beat her, but didn't want to make it too obvious by picking one of the three weakest teams.

Or maybe Sasha (Simone's partner) didn't want to go up against Emma (Rashad's partner) because Sasha and Emma are a couple (got engaged on the show last year), so Nancy was the least "unsporting" choice.

Last edited:
There's no reality in reality TV. I bet it was all arranged by the show beforehand, who would go against whom in the dance-off and what style dance they would prepare.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's no reality in reality TV. I bet it was all arranged by the show beforehand, who would go against whom in the dance-off and what style dance they would prepare.

I suspect you're right. They sure didn't seem surprised at all. I think maybe the pros arrange it between themselves beforehand, though it still has to be somewhat flexible to take into account which couple is "odd couple out" and the exact order of who get to choose first. Though if the choosing order is based on cumulative scores, that's pretty much known in advance.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Did the finale happen yet? I totally lost interest when Heather was booted and then Nancy. What is left is Normani. She should win. Or did she already. I cannot sit and watch long but I jump between the voice and that show. Th judges on the voice are really the show btw.

Any way. I like Simone but she is not so natural as Laurie. And I hate seeeing sickles feet. Don't gymnasts take dance for turn out or is that a bad thing? Simone is the greatest tumbler and vaulter to have lived. Amazing little girl.

mintx

On the Ice
Finale is Monday or Monday and Tues. It's Normani, David Ross, and the football player. Simone went out on Monday.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Rashad is a great dancer and he has been a great pleasure to watch, as well. And he had more of the "learning to dance" arc that I enjoy watching (whereas Normani was already a great dancer, for example.) I would love to see Rashad win.

mintx

On the Ice
Rashad is my pick of the top three too. I am glad David made the finals. His personality has just shined this season.

slider11

Medalist
I haven't watched television for years.

About Nancy, something about her will never chance. She is just not charming. It can't be helped. Star quality can't be imposed on someone. It's good she still get some support though.

I have to agree. Nancy was a wonderful technical skater but there was nothing natural or engaging about her artistry. I was never an Oksana fan but I can see the dilemma with the judges and the old 6.0 system in giving it to Oksana. I know Nancy has had some life-battles; haven't we all, but overall her life has been pretty good. During DWTS, she still had that "woe is me/I'm gonna get beat again" look that was not endearing. But, lucky for her, she goes back to a nice family and professional skating (who makes a living on a Halloween ice show?)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Over the course of the two-night finale, I realized how delightful all three of the finalists were. Rashad was still my fave for the win, so I was thrilled he took home the mirrorball, but really Normani was so sweet and engaging, and David was down to earth and watchable and always grateful to his fans for voting for him.

Also, Simone finally was learning to reach out to the audience more just as, sadly, she was eliminated -- prior to her last few dances, she had been very proficient but not really letting much personality/warmth/emotion come through in her performances. But she was starting to let go a bit just when she was eliminated. Still, she made it to 4th in kind of an up-and-down season.

Rashad was great start to finish and good in most of the dance styles. I loved his freestyle but also loved his cha-cha tango fusion last night, the final competitive performance.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would you have been upset if David would have won??

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I don't think he was the strongest dancer, but the audience vote has always been such a big determinant, that I wouldn't have been too surprised or disappointed. It sounds like a cliche, but with the popularity contest component, I think that anyone who makes the finals or even semifinals has accomplished a lot and is, in a sense, a winner.

David and, especially, the pairing of David and Lindsay were at least always fun to watch, and David did at least appear to be giving it his all and putting in the effort.

Would you have been upset with a David win? Honestly, when Normani was called third, I kind of figured David's popularity was going to take him all the way.