Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I pretty much think Heather will win, since her partner is the hypercompetitive Max C.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just looked at the cast..man, what did Keo ever do to piss off the powers that be...

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just looked at the cast..man, what did Keo ever do to piss off the powers that be...

He's the newest? I think he's terrific, and after he gets voted off, I enjoy him in the cast numbers.

mintx

On the Ice
I'll be floored if Simone doesn't win. She's America's darling. I'm betting Nancy might finish top 5.

I don't think Simone will win. She is an incredible gymnast but does not have the bouncy danciness of Laurie. She has said repeatedly that she is not a natural dancer. I do think she will get close to the finals.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think this year's token "older" woman is Charo. Charo's age is up for debate, but she's at least 65 or as old as 75.

According to Wiki, Charo turned 66 last month; her birth year had been falsified as 1941 by her parents to allow her to marry bandleader Xavier Cugat when he was in his 60s but she was just 15 (eeww). So, for awhile, folks have been thinking of her as 10 years older than she really is. When she became a U.S. citizen, documents were produced that set her actual birth year as 1951.

This is her birth name: María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Simone has Sasha as a partner, and he is very popular, so that should help her. I see Nancy top half, Simone top 3, and neither as a winner. Max C is competititive, but he's been on for MANY seasons and has only won once, with Meryl. Also, he's quite polarizing: a lot of people love him, an equal number hate him.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Seems Nancy has slowly gotten out to the public. She's organized a few skating shows and done some other things. I think it will be great to see Nancy!

Can you imagine what social media would be like if the whole Nancy/Tonya/I hate Disneyland, She's only going to cry anyway, This is so corny brouhaha happened today?

The internet would explode.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
It wouldn't surprise me if Simone doesn't win. Many people are not happy with having another gymnast right after Laurie. Laurie was my favorite gymnast on the team, but I tired of her after a few weeks on DWTS and became more interested in other contestants. It would help Simone if she didn't start out with exceptionally well-done routines resulting in the highest scores. They should take it slow. Maybe Sasha will be more likely to do that.

There may be a backlash because most of the 50 year old female white fans of the show were pissed that James didn't win last season. Theyve been terrorizing all of DWTS's social media posts with comments to that effect for months.

Further, Simone isn't a very fluid mover. She has charisma, but stuff like being in hold and showing hip action will not go well for her.

I anticipate Kerrigan doing well a la Grey, since she'll probably be very competitive and prideful, as is her wont. Her only limit will be Artem's choreographic ability.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There may be a backlash because most of the 50 year old female white fans of the show were pissed that James didn't win last season. Theyve been terrorizing all of DWTS's social media posts with comments to that effect for months.

Further, Simone isn't a very fluid mover. She has charisma, but stuff like being in hold and showing hip action will not go well for her.

I anticipate Kerrigan doing well a la Grey, since she'll probably be very competitive and prideful, as is her wont. Her only limit will be Artem's choreographic ability.

Really? Wow, I had no idea, and I'm a 50 year old white female fan of the show. I figured Laurie would win and she did. I figured it from the cast announcement, actually. I can't imagine getting all upset over who wins. Its a popularity contest, after all. Jacketgate, now that is something to get me worked up about.

I think Nancy will do well. I don't think she'll win. She doesn't have the name recognition of a lot of them. Her moment in the sun was a long, long time ago.

By the way, this afternoon ABC TV broadcast the "Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular" show, featuring both Nancy and Simone.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know, it doesn't seem fair, does it? But maybe they are desperate to find competitors who are even remotely STARS !!

Warwick360

Medalist
I pretty much think Heather will win because SHE'S A PROFESSIONAL DANCER! This show doesn't even try to hide it's ringers any more :laugh2:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!....I came to this forum only just to say that. And you beat me to it. :eek:

I definitely do get the vibe that she could potentially do what Nicole Scherzinger did few seasons ago. And also, I think she was one of those from Glee that is very much still liked, no matter how much Lea Michelle and her character would try to hog the spotlight and the screen time. :sarcasm: Heck, if I was in US, even I would vote for her, and usually I don't have time for these shows.

Going back to Kerrigan front, Nancy looks so like Shania Twain in her dance get-up. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rity-contestants-season-24-Dancing-Stars.html She looks Great. :agree:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I don't watch DWTS, but I'm crossing my fingers for some signature Nancy snark. :dev2:

If we get no snark, I'll be happy getting a number choreographed to "Desperate Love". :dance3:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She has plenty of dance background through skating so I think she will be in the top half, and while she is older she is still in skating shape, so I think that will benefit her. I think she wasn't super active for a while because she was raising kids.

Are you kidding? Nancy has absolutely zero dance background. She could be embarrassingly awful when she had to dance/skate. Poor Nancy won't be able to rely on Mary's statelier than thou choreo or her Jane Fonda jazzercise and bunny hop moves.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Are you kidding? Nancy has absolutely zero dance background. She could be embarrassingly awful when she had to dance/skate. Poor Nancy won't be able to rely on Mary's statelier than thou choreo or her Jane Fonda jazzercise and bunny hop moves.

Look...There was absolutely nothing that Nancy could have done to save that juvenile choreography she was given in 1994. Jill Trenary was the same way. Nancy was always very flexible and had great spirals during an era before they became a popular skill. With a good choreographer, I think she'll make the top 5. She did very well on the pro circuit.

To me, it is an interesting question whether figure skaters automatically have an advantage in a dance contest compared to the average Joe off the street. They must, right? Skaters at least know how to fill space with movement, how to learn choreography, how to present themselves before an audience, and things like that. Some skaters are good dancers and some aren't, of course.

IMHO Nancy wasn't the danci-est of skaters (can DWTS get Mao Asada?), but still, she will do OK.

I am interested to see how Simone Biles will do. Laurie Hernandez won by her sheer body awareness, a sparkling personality,and a ready-made fan base.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think the edge that figure skaters have is generally an ability to learn choreography, coordination, good physical condition (I said generally) and one would hope a sense of musicality. This is going to be interesting, But every season when they announce the cast I can't help but think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Half the time I don't know half of the contestants. There's always the requisite football player, the female athlete, the pop singer, the oldster, and the blonde or brunette bombshell. Kind of hackneyed.

lyndichee

Medalist
At the end of the day, it is a popularity contest. Across DWTS history, a lot of the average dancers usually make it towards the final because of their personality, effort and fanbase.

I really like Lindsay Arnold as a pro because she's very good at making sure her partners are having fun while dancing. None of her partners who made the finals (Calvin Johnson and Alek Skarletos) have been particularly musical/good at dancing. In fact, her "best" dance partner was Wanya Morris, who could do a lot of challenging and fast choreography. He got the highest possible scores on the night he got eliminated. Her partners that have made finals made it because they showed a lot of effort and fans voted for them.

KKonas

Medalist
To me, it is an interesting question whether figure skaters automatically have an advantage in a dance contest compared to the average Joe off the street. They must, right? Skaters at least know how to fill space with movement, how to learn choreography, how to present themselves before an audience, and things like that. Some skaters are good dancers and some aren't, of course.

IMHO Nancy wasn't the danci-est of skaters (can DWTS get Mao Asada?), but still, she will do OK.

I am interested to see how Simone Biles will do. Laurie Hernandez won by her sheer body awareness, a sparkling personality,and a ready-made fan base.

Nancy should do okay for the very reasons you state, but I don't see her in the final three. As far as skaters in the DWTS shows, Meryl Davis was easily the best but even she surprised with her acting skills, having many thinking she and Max were a couple off the ice. Biles should be the favorite with her great flexibility, but there are women with dance backgrounds this time. There is almost always a contestant who does unexpectedly well, so it should be an interesting competition.