Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nancy Kerrigan on Dancing w/the Stars

But every season when they announce the cast I can't help but think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Half the time I don't know half of the contestants.

Well, the thing is, the "stars" must be able to take 6 months off from what they would otherwise be doing and devote themselves to a daily regimen that can be pretty grueling. A retired sports guy is just the ticket, or a one-time actor who is "between gigs," because what else does he have to do?

A few, though, are still working and have to sandwich DWTS rehearsals around their real lives. Meryl and Charlie were on tour with Stars on Ice and their partners had to follow along and work in a few of hours dance rehearsal in whatever cities Meryl and Charlie were appearing in. In this case, it didn't matter so much because they were "quick learners." (Although maybe with a little more practice Charlie wouldn't have dropped that cane. :) )

By the way, another advantage that gymnasts and ex-jocks in general have, is an incredible strong core.

Last edited:
Meryl Davis was easily the best but even she surprised with her acting skills, having many thinking she and Max were a couple off the ice.

I know, right? So, is she a skilled actress (who knew?) or is she, in reality, the most charming lady of innocence-yet-mystery that ever graced the DWTS stage?

lyndichee

Medalist
Nancy should do okay for the very reasons you state, but I don't see her in the final three. As far as skaters in the DWTS shows, Meryl Davis was easily the best but even she surprised with her acting skills, having many thinking she and Max were a couple off the ice. Biles should be the favorite with her great flexibility, but there are women with dance backgrounds this time. There is almost always a contestant who does unexpectedly well, so it should be an interesting competition.

I think the final 3 will be Simone Biles, Normani Kordei and Heather Morris.

Heather Morris is a trained dancer. It's even unfair she's allowed to participate given her background. To give some context, she almost made Top 20 in So You Think You Can Dance. Pros/Troupe dancers Lindsay Arnold, Witney Carson, Jenna Johnson, Brittany Cherry, Hailey Erbert, Alison Holker, Chelsie Hightower, Lacey Schwimmmer are all SYTYCD alumni. Brittany was eliminated first from the Top 20. If Heather was able to make it through to the final decision, then she's practically good enough to be a pro dancer. Going through Vegas week meant she had shown sufficiency in all styles to be considered. A new troupe member this season, Brandon Armstrong, did not make the Top 20 for SYTYCD and was cut right before the shows as well. You don't need a competitive background either to be a pro; just look at Alison and Hailey.

Simone Biles has the athleticism to compete along with star power and Normani Kordei looks strong already in videos with Val being one of the best technical teachers on the show. Not to mention the votes the Chmerkovskiy brothers can get.

I think Nancy should be happy with a Top 5 finish. Lindsay Arnold has also consistently placed in Top 4 for last 3 seasons with partners who seem to pick up fast/are fan favourites. Peta Murgatroyd is popular and if Nick Viall can dance, he can pull in the votes as well.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As far as skaters in the DWTS shows, Meryl Davis was easily the best but even she surprised with her acting skills, having many thinking she and Max were a couple off the ice.

I disagree. Though I liked Meryl, I thought Kristi Yamaguchi was better. Note: they both won their seasons. The records of other figure skaters on the show: Evan Lysachek 2nd, Charlie White 5th, Dorothy Hamill 12th (withdrew after 2 weeks due to injury). I think Charlie would have done better if Meryl had not been on the same season, splitting their fans' votes.

noskates

Record Breaker
Kristi had amazing musicality and rhythm. I remember her doing some really, really good numbers in SOI where her dancing was more apparent than her skating. And didn't Meryl and Charlie take ballroom dancing to help them in their skating? I would think that ice dancers would always have an edge. I don't think Simone Biles has the same bubbly and infectious personality that Laurie Hernandez has. It will be interesting to see how she does.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think the edge that figure skaters have is generally an ability to learn choreography, coordination, good physical condition (I said generally) and one would hope a sense of musicality. This is going to be interesting, But every season when they announce the cast I can't help but think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Half the time I don't know half of the contestants. There's always the requisite football player, the female athlete, the pop singer, the oldster, and the blonde or brunette bombshell. Kind of hackneyed.

The same here with Polish DWTS. I maybe recognize 4 out of 11 "stars"" in edition that has just started. In fact pro dancers are often bigger stars than "stars" as some have 10+ editions behind them and garnered celebrity status, one of these dancers become singer. This is our ... 20th edition, only Americans have more iirc. I watched some dances from your DWTS and the thing that struck me was how dance style had often nothing common with music being used. I find it unwatchable ... is it really so difficult to find cha-cha music or proper tango?! Even rhythm is barely audible ... Or do people in USA think it's boring? Here they also try and commit some unfortunate experiments, but no the extent and horrid effect of USA. I was really baffled and suffered while watching Meryl or Charlie even though their dancing was superb.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jennifer Grey won and she's 57. She won in 2006 so would have been around 51. Nancy's only 47 so she's not old. I think you may be confusing this with the really old women such as Florence Henderson, Betsey Johnson, etc.

47 isn't that old. They even had that old soap queen Susan Lucci on the show - a bit frail looking. Nancy will be fine. Not sure though she will be able to beat simone biles as she will have a huge fan support.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Look...There was absolutely nothing that Nancy could have done to save that juvenile choreography she was given in 1994. Jill Trenary was the same way. Nancy was always very flexible and had great spirals during an era before they became a popular skill. With a good choreographer, I think she'll make the top 5. She did very well on the pro circuit.

Nancy was NOT flexible at all. She had amazing carriage and managed to milk her spiral with wondeful extensin and confidence but she was no Julia Lip or Sasha. She worked it and she worked it well. She maxed her extension ut I don't think she was that flexible.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I don't watch DWTS but Kristi Yamaguchi tweeted this out a couple of days ago and I may or may not have laughed for like 3 hours straight:

So excited for you @NancyAKerrigan ! Can't wait to see you grace that ballroom floor, break a leg! 💃🏻#DWTS

:dbana: :dbana: :dbana:

The replies are the best.

Barb

Record Breaker
I don't watch DWTS but Kristi Yamaguchi tweeted this out a couple of days ago and I may or may not have laughed for like 3 hours straight:

:dbana: :dbana: :dbana:

The replies are the best.

OMG!!! I can´t breath, my stomach hurts, I am crying!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:. She is evil or clueless

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
I don't watch DWTS, but I'm crossing my fingers for some signature Nancy snark. :dev2:

If we get no snark, I'll be happy getting a number choreographed to "Desperate Love". :dance3:

LOL, there are already articles on her being a Diva and trying to take over the choreography. LOL, you know... her true form...

flowandline

Rinkside
This DWTS season looks competitive. Not sure if a skater will win this time. Simone looks like an early favorite, but I don't know if the audience will want to see two gymnasts win back to back.

^ She was pretty good, not outstanding.

There were at least three duds in the first show, so the others should be safe for a couple of weeks anyway.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Kristi's tweet made the CBS national news last night. They showed footage of the whack, of Kristi winning the mirror ball, and and of Nancy's dance. :)

Last edited: