2017 Finlandia Trophy 6th - 8th October | Golden Skate

2017 Finlandia Trophy 6th - 8th October

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This year's dates were confirmed on the Finlandia Trophy farcebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/finlandiatrophy/posts/

I note that those dates are Friday - Sunday.
Last year was Thursday - Sunday, but included a Pairs competition.
Previous years were Friday - Sunday, and no Pairs competition.

Perhaps they aren't planning a Pairs competition this year?
Or perhaps they are planning a Pairs competition but with different scheduling?

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From their info: "Finlandia Trophy is only competition in the world which have single and pair skating, ice dance and synchronized skating included in the one competition. The competition is one of the core competition in ISU Challenger Series."

It is going to be intensive days. I think they have thought if there will not be enough pairs, then they will not have pairs. I hope pairs will be there.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Prelminary schedule is posted on finlandiatrophy.com, and all-event tickets are now available:

Friday 6th 14:00
Pairs, short program
Men, short program
Ladies, short program

Saturday 7th 12:00
Ice dance, short dance
Pairs, free skating
Men, free skating
Synchronized skating, short program

Sunday 8th 12:00
Ladies, free skating
Ice dance, free dance

(Times are shown on the Finnish-language page, but not on the English page)

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The official ISU announcement PDF is published today.

Deadline for competitor entries is 1st September, so we should find out the full list of who is going soon after that (although there are always a few withdrawals/substitutions by the time of the competition).

According to section 7 in the PDF, official practices begin on Thursday 5th, the day before competitions begin. But the preliminary schedule in section 18 says Thursday is "unofficial practices" all day. I hope Thursday practices are indeed "official" (usually open to ticket holders, whereas "unofficial" practices might not be...)

Official hotel is the usual Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden.

No gala, as usual.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Given there is usually a strong Russian presence at Finlandia... I wonder which competitors might show up this year?

If we assume none of the skaters will come, if they are already assigned to a different Challenger event... or if they are competing at Cup of Russia straight after... I'm thinking that leaves Pogorilaya, Sotskova, Tsurskaya, Voronov and Kovtun as possibilities in the singles?

For Pairs and Ice Dance I dunno... but I heard Stolbova and Klimov are planning to attend?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Stepanova & Bukin, I would guess.
Maybe... and I'd certainly be happy to see them...!

But they're at Cup of Russia less than 2 weeks later, so I'm not very optimistic...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Maybe... and I'd certainly be happy to see them...!

But they're at Cup of Russia less than 2 weeks later, so I'm not very optimistic...

Yes, I agree the timing is questionable. But I don't think impossible. It's not a very long trip, and they won Finlandia last year. I think they were also quoted at some point saying they planned to do two Challengers (maybe it was another team?). Russia doesn't seem to send their dancers to North America for Challenger events even when the teams train here, so the Autumn Classic feels unlikely. And Stepanova & Bukin are on the sublist for Nepela, which implies they are in the pool of athletes interested in competing.

Sinitsina & Katsalapov are the only other top Russian dance team that seem plausible to get an early Challenger. They aren't on any sublists, and I don't think they've ever done a Challenger; but they could. New coaches & training environment, and one hopes they are not dealing with injury like the last two preseasons.

After that, you're down to teams that probably need to prove themselves at Russian test skates or Russian Cup events.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I forgot about Zahorsky & Guerreiro also. They should really do a Challenger or two. Their World Standings could use it.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Really? So I have made my decision: I'll be there. :clap:

Apparently she said that in an Instagram Live. It's not official from Skate Canada yet. But apparently Lubov and Dylan are also going, and they train together at The Cricket Club, so that makes sense.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
According to posts in his fan-fest thread, Roman Sadovsky is expecting to compete at Finlandia (not officially announced or confirmed - but apparently Nam mentioned it...)

I hope it's true - Sadovksy is a wonderful, expressive skater...

TMC

Record Breaker
According to posts in his fan-fest thread, Roman Sadovsky is expecting to compete at Finlandia (not officially announced or confirmed - but apparently Nam mentioned it...)

I hope it's true - Sadovksy is a wonderful, expressive skater...

Wonderful news!

Is anybody else here going to be volunteering this year? I'll volunteer on the Thursday, but not on the other days as I feel like after volunteering at Worlds I deserve this competition without any distractions :D

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
TMC or anybody else who have been there, couple of questions: I have never been in Metro Arena or I am not sure if I have ever been in Espoo. I will bunk in "Keski-uusimaa". Is it the easiest way to go to Kamppi, and then take the bus? I have not bought the tickets and the seating plan is not available. Is there big difference between premium seats or different categories? I just do not want to be high...balcony in Worlds during ID short was enough, too hig, but row 10 was ok. I know the hall is much smaller, but how much smaller?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
TMC or anybody else who have been there, couple of questions: I have never been in Metro Arena or I am not sure if I have ever been in Espoo. I will bunk in "Keski-uusimaa". Is it the easiest way to go to Kamppi, and then take the bus? I have not bought the tickets and the seating plan is not available. Is there big difference between premium seats or different categories? I just do not want to be high...balcony in Worlds during ID short was enough, too hig, but row 10 was ok. I know the hall is much smaller, but how much smaller?
I don't know about the buses or best travel options for you... but regarding the seating plan - I think the map has been unavailable for all-event tickets since the individual day tickets went on sale... but you can still see it by pretending to buy an individual day ticket.

"Premium" seats are the first 3 rows. (by the way, "Row 2" is the front row... there is no "Row 1")
"Category 1" seats are all rows behind third row, on the judges side
"Category 2" seats are all rows behind third row, opposite the judges
K&C should be the short side where no seats are shown (section 103)

I don't think it's possible to buy balcony seats in advance - only "on the day"? (eg. if, for some bizarre reason, lower part ever sold out...)

Metro Areena is quite a bit smaller than Helsinki Hartwall Areena where World's was held. Hartwall is over 13000 capacity, Metro is about 7000. The main/lower part of Metro is 12-15 rows, Hartwall is 21 rows. View is pretty good from almost anywhere, but obviously - closer to the front should be better.

Here's a "panorama" photo of Metro Areena I made at last year's Finlandia. Overexposed (oops!), but it shows most of the seating quite clearly.

Hope that helps.