2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
South Korea and Australia only have grand prix entries in singles.
As a reference. At this point in time, after the JGP, South Korea are on 1397 points and Australia 1320 Points, a difference of only 77 points.

I look at the math a little differently. Excluding men's and ladies JGP/GP, Korea has 1064 points and Australia has 1212 points (842 from stage 1 + 250 from JGP pairs + 120 from JGP dance). So Australia is 148 points ahead.

Assume for the sake of argument that Korea and Austalia more or less tie in men's points (both from the GP).

Then it all comes down to the women. If Kaliani doesn't get any points, and Korean ladies get any points (191 or more from the GP or 225 from the JGP), then Korea wins. If Kaliani gets points at all she'll get at least 191, and Korea would need at least 191+149 = 340 to win. That would require a first or second in the GP or making the GP final.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My head hurts reading all of this.

*throws green and gold streamers everywhere* GO TEAM AUSTRALIA.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Excited!

Also, go Australia! Ever since Kailani got Skate Canada, I've been having hope.

GF2445, thanks for doing this chart. Could you make one amendment? Dastich has 148 points, as she finished 6th at Croatia Cup. Thanks.

Thankyou SubRosa. Keeping track of points has been a real challenge :D

GF2445

Record Breaker
Points Update

Strong results from Russia, United States, and Italy over the weekend at the Opening Grand Prix Series Event, The Rostelecom Cup.

Top Five Grand Prix Point Standings currently are
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3jXwqj4q3ftj4bDbNnKI8N0aFGyO70jFz95T5LESZg/edit?usp=sharing

Russia 1484
United States 1249
Italy 1164
Canada 900
Japan 875

Overall Standings https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing
With podium finishes in all disciplines, including two victories, Russia overtakes Canada in the overall standings. We will have to see what happens next week in Regina. Can Canada take the lead again in the standings? The United States, who also enjoyed two victories this weekend in Mens and Ice Dance, sits a comfortable 3rd at the moment.

One Grand Prix down. Five Grand Prix events and the Grand Prix Final to go.

P.S. If you are a South Korean or Australian Skating fan, tune in next week for Skate Canada. Skate Canada is the first of a couple of opportunities for South Korea to increase their points. For Australia (at this stage), this is their one and only shot at more points.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canada is an example of how you can lose points in the stage two standings. For men, they now have 213 points (GP-Nguyen) which replaced the 225 points they had before (JGP-Phan). Of course, Canada still has many opportunities to improve on that result.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Team Qualification Notice

Following Skate Canada International, Australia, at this point in time, do not have any more oppoprtunities to compete for Olympic Team Event qualification points. Even if South Korea or Israel were to lose or earn no points over the remaining portion of the GP series, it would not still be enough to fall behind Australia.

As a result, we can confirm with confidence that the following Ten Nations have qualified for the Olympic Figure Skating Team Event. Congratulations to these ten nations.

Canada
Russian Federation
United States of America
Japan
Italy
China
France
Germany
Israel
South Korea

GF2445

Record Breaker

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Following Skate Canada International, Australia, at this point in time, do not have any more oppoprtunities to compete for Olympic Team Event qualification points. Even if South Korea or Israel were to lose or earn no points over the remaining portion of the GP series, it would not still be enough to fall behind Australia.

As a result, we can confirm with confidence that the following Ten Nations have qualified for the Olympic Figure Skating Team Event. Congratulations to these ten nations.

Canada
Russian Federation
United States of America
Japan
Italy
China
France
Germany
Israel
South Korea

So, it's a definite go ? This is it ?
:clapper:

GF2445

Record Breaker
So, it's a definite go ? This is it ?
:clapper:
Yeah. Unless Brendan gets another invite, this is it.

Israel and South Korea lead Australia.
Israel have entries in mens and dance, without the possibility of losing points (see nanapat's post above).
South korea have entries in mens and womens. There is no risk of them losing points in mens. They may lose some points in the ladies if they place 7th or 8th, but its not enough to fall behind Australia.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah. Unless Brendan gets another invite, this is it.

Israel and South Korea lead Australia.
Israel have entries in mens and dance, without the possibility of losing points (see nanapat's post above).
South korea have entries in mens and womens. There is no risk of them losing points in mens. They may lose some points in the ladies if they place 7th or 8th, but its not enough to fall behind Australia.

The best hope for Australia (though remote) is for Kaliani (sp?) to get another invite (very remote) and finish in the top 8 (not impossible, if she gets the invite). Her points would all count, where Brendan's would replace the 108 that Min earned in the JGP.

Jerko

Spectator
Junior Grand Prix Final also scores? This is important from the point of view of Australia.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... 2. The second stage will be the 2017/18 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series (2017/18 Senior Grand Prix Series & Grand Prix Final, and 2017/18 Junior Grand Prix Series [Junior Grand Prix Final not counted]). ...

Junior Grand Prix Final also scores? This is important from the point of view of Australia.

The JGPF is specifically excluded from Olympic team event qualification, as mentioned in the OP.

The exact language from the ISU qualification document:

ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2017/18 (only in individual events but not the Final)

http://isu.org/docman-documents-lin...s/2018-pyeongchang/7563-isu-figure-skating-en (p. 4)​

BTW, for those with an interest in all things related to the Olympic team event:

Hope you saw the recent thread in The Edge regarding which disciplines played the largest role for each country in the Sochi team event.

A mathematician and an economist published an analysis of this topic.

[I believe the thread was easy to overlook (I almost missed it myself).
I think the reason is that the thread was started right around the time GS was temporarily offline for maintenance.]​

frida80

Record Breaker
Thanks to a discussion on another forum, I spent the day calculating potential scores for the team event. What I found is that team Canada would win comfortably if Patrick is on form and Kaetlyn is relatively consistent. The trick is, first Nathan cannot compete in the FS and must be replaced with another US man. I’ve found scenarios where either Japan or China make the final. If Japan does make the final, Kaetlyn must beat everyone but Zhenia/Alina in both the SP and the LP. Considering how her scores look, this is possible. BUt if she is inconsistent in either program and Patrick is not on form and gets as low as fourth, they will lose gold.

These are the scores I’m getting so far.

Gold: Canada — 74 points.
Silver: Russia — 70 points.
Bronze: USA — 58 points
4th: Italy — 52 points
5th: Japan 45 points

If China performs well in Ladies, win in pairs and beat Russia in men’s they will make the final instead of Japan. Then the scores are:

Gold: Canada — 73 points
Silver: Russia — 69 points
Bronze: USA — 58 points
4th: China —56 points
5th Italy 52 points

I don’t really trust my math when I’ve been writing on scraps of paper and not working with excel sheets to do my math in the most organized way. So take this all with a grain of salt. Does any one else have opinions of the placements of each country?

GF2445

Record Breaker

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
China moves up to fourth place overall following the Cup of China. Canada with an unreachable lead.

Not sure Canada's lead is unreachable. Lots of points available in GPF (even 6th there is more than a GP gold). If Russia qualifies in more disciplines, they may overtake Canada.

Not that it actually matters. Qualifying first doesn't buy you anything in the actual event, except for perhaps a psychological advantage.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Not sure Canada's lead is unreachable. Lots of points available in GPF (even 6th there is more than a GP gold). If Russia qualifies in more disciplines, they may overtake Canada.

Not that it actually matters. Qualifying first doesn't buy you anything in the actual event, except for perhaps a psychological advantage.

There is nothing better than making an assertive statement to get people's attention :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No...

*drooping sadly*

There are still two events left after NHK. Maybe Kailani will get Zijun Li's spot. *hopeful*

lavoix

Match Penalty
Can a team put forward 2 athletes to compete in the team event? I'd like to see Medvedeva and Zagitova compete in the team event.

Why did Russia refuse to use Sotnikova in Sochi in the team event?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Can a team put forward 2 athletes to compete in the team event? I'd like to see Medvedeva and Zagitova compete in the team event.

Yes. Nations can alternate athletes between the short and the long

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

They're limited to replacing entries in two disciplines between the team event SP/SD and FS/FD.

From the Qualification Procedures document:

In principle, the skaters/couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed
in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two
Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the
Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free
Dance provided such qualified skaters/couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.

In Sochi, Russia chose to use two Pairs (Volosozhar/Trankov and Stolbova/Klimov) and two Ice Dance (Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Katsalapov). They could have optioned for Sotnikova to do a segment, but they'd have had to have Pairs or Dance do both segments.