New skater with Riedell boot troubles | Golden Skate

New skater with Riedell boot troubles

Windryder

Spectator
Hi,

I'm completely new here. :) I started skating in January of this year, and started out with a pair of Jackson Softskates --which I felt were a little more like snowboots, and killed my arches. ((I'm a returning rollerblader, so I'm going in not as clueless. *L*)) So, I found a pair of size 6M Riedells online (silver interior, but not sure what brand. Silver star, maybe?). When I got them, they seemed to be stiff enough, but minutes in, my heels and the sides of my big toe knuckle and little toe started to burn. Length wise, they're fine, but I think they might be a little too narrow. I used a hair dryer on them, and adjusted my lacing, and that seemed to help the toes (though the toebox is still a bit cramped), but the heels still feel like they're being pinched, squished, and they hurt.
Will heat molding and punching out in the toebox and heel save me? Or am I just SOL and need to drop more money on wider boots? I hope not. These cost me a lot. Please help.
(edited: I'm an adult woman, 5'5" about 145lbs --average northern european-esque build, and trying to get back into cardio. I also developed peroneal tendinitis from commuter cycling for 4 years. Impact cardo hurts, but this seemed like it would be ok, since I don't intend on jumping until I'm ready. I do want to be able to skate backwards and spin, I'm thinking heavy emphasis on footwork. And speed. I admit it, I love the feel of 'flying' on the ice. :) )

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@gsk8 can we get this moved to the proper forum please? This is the second one I've seen today that isn't in the correct forum. TIA! :)

TGee

Record Breaker
Hi,

I'm completely new here. :) I started skating in January of this year, and started out with a pair of Jackson Softskates --which I felt were a little more like snowboots, and killed my arches. ((I'm a returning rollerblader, so I'm going in not as clueless. *L*)) So, I found a pair of size 6M Riedells online (silver interior, but not sure what brand. Silver star, maybe?). When I got them, they seemed to be stiff enough, but minutes in, my heels and the sides of my big toe knuckle and little toe started to burn. Length wise, they're fine, but I think they might be a little too narrow. I used a hair dryer on them, and adjusted my lacing, and that seemed to help the toes (though the toebox is still a bit cramped), but the heels still feel like they're being pinched, squished, and they hurt.
Will heat molding and punching out in the toebox and heel save me? Or am I just SOL and need to drop more money on wider boots? I hope not. These cost me a lot. Please help.
(edited: I'm an adult woman, 5'5" about 145lbs --average northern european-esque build, and trying to get back into cardio. I also developed peroneal tendinitis from commuter cycling for 4 years. Impact cardo hurts, but this seemed like it would be ok, since I don't intend on jumping until I'm ready. I do want to be able to skate backwards and spin, I'm thinking heavy emphasis on footwork. And speed. I admit it, I love the feel of 'flying' on the ice. :) )

You seem to have gone from a recreational skate to a figure skate that's too stiff for you or not a good fit. The Riedell Silver Star [ if that is what you have] is a competitive boot with the stiffness needed for double and triple jumps.

Using too stiff a boot [over-booting] will get in the way of learning. You need to build up strength in your feet and ankles, and to bend your ankles correctly. You may do better by selling the ones you hae and getting a pair of skates better fit and better suited to your current needs. [Your local rink or club may have a bulletin board to sell used skates or a figure skating store may take them on consignment as your size is not unusual.]

More generally, buying online is not recommended, unless you already know what works for you. The extra cost of getting a personal fitting from an in person purchase is well worth it.

As many of us say on other threads on the Lutz Corner, getting to a good fitter is really critical to get the right boots and avoid injury. [As an aside to the mods, I'm wondering if we need a sticky thread on this subject similar to the one recently set up for new skaters about lessons and milestones.]

Rollerblading [as compared to rollerskating] boots are quite different, so the fitting issues are somewhat different. And rollerblades are more like modern hockey skates in stiffness and in the way they are designed to centre your weight inside them.

An experienced fitter in a good figure skating store [i.e. one that's clientele isn't mostly hockey players or rollerbladers], will be able to help you figure out which brand works best for your feet and help you get boots and blades appropriate to your level. They can also adjust skate boots if possible working with stretchers [overnight], punches, head moulding [if the skates are designed for it], and orthodic inserts [which Riedell has kits for].

For a new figureskater, a Riedell Emerald or Diamond would be a usual entry level boot.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
You could bring these boots to a good skate pro, and see what he can do to adjust them. Find out who the good pros are near you - you can ask coaches at your rink for recommendations, if you aren't sure who is good in your region.

Windryder

Spectator
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed reply. :) I appreciate that.
I think I may need to bite the bullet and make a visit to Pickwick's pro shop for a good fitting and some better beginner skates, because I'm really not that thrilled with the Jackson Softskates. From what I've read, they also head mold figure skates there.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Both Jackson and Reidell make good beginner skates, and tend to be not as expensive as other brands for good beginner skates. Jackson makes "real" skates, not just the Softecs. The Softecs are really just for little kids, and for adults who just want to stroke around a rink while their kids are in a public session.

A good skate pro will be able to punch out the toebox of the Reidells you have, to a certain extent. They may also be able to adjust the heel so it doesn't come in so much, again, to a certain extent. And if the skates are heat-moldable, they can heat mold them. Since you didn't buy the skates through the pro shop, you'll need to pay for this service. You can ask how much it will be, up front, so you know and aren't surprised.

But I used to have Reidells, and they never quite fit me, no matter how much I got them punched out or etc., whereas the Harlicks I have now fit pretty much immediately. Different brands and models fit different feet... differently. :lol: But if you go to a good pro, you can talk to them about your current skates and see if they can be redeemed, and if not, they'll be able to evaluate your foot, your weight, the type of skating you do, and etc., and recommend skates that should work for you.

Last edited:

sk8momto1

Rinkside
Yes! If you have a good skater pro, go there. Bring your skates and see what he/she thinks about them. Are they the right size, fit, and model for you? if so, is there something they can do to help with the pain.

My daughter has been skating for over 10 years and cannot wear Reidells. They are simply too narrow for her feet. But, I know other people who love them. Her last 2 pair were custom Jacksons and they work great for her. However, the last pair did hurt her heels for a few weeks. That had never been a problem area with new skates before but the pain went away after she broke them in.

Pink Ice

Rinkside
I wear Reidell Silver Stars 9.5A but I am a heavier skater and have a rather narrow foot. Mine took a bit to break in, they felt very snug, but it was a uniform snug, there was never an area or spot that felt tighter or sore, and I never developed a blister or red spot from pressure. I agree with the others to go to a good pro shop and see if you can get a stretching and/or punch out if an area is hurting you. I am one of those that feel like Riedells are pretty much made for my feet, but there are a lot of people that do not feel that way.

Mklausman

Spectator
Hello, I purchased riedell stride skates 2 weeks ago and the bottom edges of the boots are extremely worn after 2 weeks of skating. Is this normal?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hello, I purchased riedell stride skates 2 weeks ago and the bottom edges of the boots are extremely worn after 2 weeks of skating. Is this normal?
(1) By "bottom edges", do you mean the bottom of the uppers, or do you mean the sides of the sole and heel? If the sole and heel, were they treated with water repellent? (2) Is the wear equal on both boots? (3) Is the wear all around, or on specific areas? (4) Could you describe in more detail what the wear looks like? (5) Have you been falling a lot?