Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: "There will never be anyone like...!"

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    I think this is the first general thread EVER where I agree with everyone's responses AND keep having more to add myself.

Artur Dimitriev - 2-time Olympic Champion with 2 different partners

Elena Liashenko - queen of telegraphing jumps (frankly I don't remember anything else about her skating)

Keep it going!
    As for the King of telegraphing jumps I'll never forget Sergey Davydov representing Belarus from the past. He can put Liashenko to shame. As for Elena ... I can't say that I was a fan but I liked her speed & big jumps Her career was also much longer than in most cases, so kudos for longevity.
    Last edited by Ares; 03-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    As for the King of telegraphing jumps I'll never forget Sergey Davydov representing Belarus from the past. He can put Liashenko to shame. As for Elena ... I can't say that I was a fan but I liked her speed & big jumps Her career was also much longer than in most cases, so kudos for longevity.
    Someone else who had a longer career than anyone expected - Fumie Suguri. She was the first internationally-successful ladies skater from Japan since Yuka, and now there are so many good ladies from Japan. She started the wave, much like B&A did for U.S. ice dance.

Rinkside

3 Not allowed!
    Edited
    Last edited by TerpsichoreFS; Today at 04:32 AM.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Someone else who had a longer career than anyone expected - Fumie Suguri. She was the first internationally-successful ladies skater from Japan since Yuka, and now there are so many good ladies from Japan. She started the wave, much like B&A did for U.S. ice dance.
    I saw Fumie at Worlds in 2001. She may not have had the best body line. However.....She was as fast as a bolt of lightening!! She and Elena Liashenko are still the fastest ladies I've ever seen in person.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I like this thread, so I'm back for a second comment.

There will never be another Irina Rodnina.

3 Olympic Gold Medals.
    11 European Championship Gold Medals.
    10 World Championship Gold Medals.

That's a pretty spiffy competitive record.
    Well, if we're only talking results then, well okay... I always thought she was a graceless, ungainly skater (she did inherit the throne after the Protopopovs).

For me, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Midori Ito, Gordeeva, Sasha Cohen, and Plushenko.
    Last edited by LiamForeman; Yesterday at 03:13 PM.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Well, if we're only talking results then, well okay... I always thought she was a graceless, ungainly skater (she did inherit the throne after the Protopopovs).

For me, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Midori Ito, Gordeeva, Sasha Cohen, and Plushenko.
    She reinvented the sport and dominated for over a decade with two different partners and a baby thrown in for good measure. I say this as a rabid Protopopov fan.

If memory serves, she didn't inherit the throne from the Protopopov's, she dethroned them at the Soviet championship.

I must cite you for a technical foul in calling another skater graceless and ungainly while you simultaneously list Midori Ito as a favorite.

I really really really like Midori Ito, but a paragon of grace she was not.

Exciting? Adorable? Infections enthusiasm and love for the sport? Artistic in her own way? Yes to all of these. Graceful? No.
    Last edited by TontoK; Yesterday at 03:23 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post

Protopovs were graceful & exquisite but Rodnina / Zaitsev not so much. But why do you single out her? What was less graceful about her skating next to Zaitsev?

Outdated Old Dinosaur

1 Not allowed!
    Irina Rodnina, first with Ulanov and later Zaitsev, brought speed and power and daring to pairs skating.

Nobody matches the Protopopovs for classic elegance, but Rodnina and partners revolutionized the discipline.

No day is complete without the mention of 4S3T Fayruza's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpsichoreFS View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu. Love him, hate him, be indifferent. he's one of a kind, that's for sure.
    Although I'd be glad to be wrong, and one day see another skater who combines the most powerful jumps with an unashamed feminity.
    Oh. Since his name had never once popped up here, I was hoping he could be recreated. Bother.

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!
    Laurent Tobel.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayruza View Post
    Oh. Since his name had never once popped up here, I was hoping he could be recreated. Bother.
    I understand. I edited my post into a blank

No day is complete without the mention of 4S3T Fayruza's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpsichoreFS View Post
    I understand. I edited my post into a blank
    I was being ironic about the thread, not your post! Sorry!!!

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayruza View Post
    I was being ironic about the thread, not your post! Sorry!!!
    I'm not sure I understand sorry. But I've read the thread and I saw that all the skaters mentioned are retired so I thought my post was a little out of place too.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    Michelle Kwan, who epitomized modern elegance in Ladies's Skating. Her carriage and her use of shoulders and arms were pure joy to the eye.
    Many skaters today look positively retrograde compared to her.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7