"There will never be anyone like...!" | Golden Skate

"There will never be anyone like...!"

lappo

Final Flight
"There will never be anyone like her/him/them, no matter what!".
Who is/are the skater/s that make you think like this and why?

Lysambre

Final Flight
There will never be anyone like any skater.

Because they are all incredible individuals, each with their differences, their ups and their downs, their strenghts and their weaknesses.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Not Yagudin, after he accused Plushenko of faking his injury...

I understand Russian language. Yagudin thought Evgeni was "all remade", Evgeni had enough injuries. Even Ottavio Cinquanta was amased, that an athlete with the same injuries was sent again. I won't discuss Evgeni. :)

Last edited:
Wait, what? Is this thread about who said uncomplimentary things to someone else, or maybe not?

Anyway, there will never be another Dick Button. Of this I can be certain because Button's claims to fame are that he was the first to do a double Axel, the first to do a triple jump, and in fact the first to master the technique of jumping by :spinning in the air. He was the first and only skater who (as European skating programs were recovering from War War II) was simultaneously national champion, North American champion, European champion, world champion and Olympic champion.

There will never be another Sonja Henie. She won three Olympic gold medals and ten world championships. She brought figure skating to Hollywood, changing the sport from a relatively obscure recreational diversion into a glamorous international show-biz phenomenon.

Barb

Record Breaker
wait, what? Is this thread about who said uncomplimentary things to someone else, or maybe not?

Anyway, there will never be another dick button. Of this i can be certain because button's claims to fame are that he was the first to do a double axel, the first to do a triple jump, and in fact the first to master the technique of jumping by :spinning in the air. He was the first and only skater who (as european skating programs were recovering from war war ii) was simultaneously national champion, north american champion, european champion, world champion and olympic champion.

there will never be another sonja henie. She won three olympic gold medals and ten world championships. She brought figure skating to hollywood, changing the sport from a relatively obscure recreational diversion into a glamorous international show-biz phenomenon.

this!!

breadstal

Record Breaker
When I saw the title, I thought about two skaters: Yuna Kim and Michelle Kwan but like Lysambre said, every skater is different in their own way.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me, there will never be another John Curry or Dorothy Hamill.

That's because their performances at the 1976 Olympics were my first exposure to this sport, and a subsequent love affair that is 40 years and counting.

They say you never forget your first love. In terms of figure skating, that is true for me. I still go back and watch videos of those performances.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No matter how many Russian Diva's come down the line, It all started with my wife, Maria Butyrskaya! She was sexy, feisty, and loved her fans. I don't know if she's still the oldest World Champion in history but she certainly was in 1999. Perseverance and Determination were her only friends after she was released by the Russian Federation in 1993. I love this picture....http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5905372/516full-maria-butyrskaya.jpg

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No matter how many Russian Diva's come down the line, It all started with my wife, Maria Butyrskaya! She was sexy, feisty, and loved her fans. I don't know if she's still the oldest World Champion in history but she certainly was in 1999. Perseverance and Determination were her only friends after she was released by the Russian Federation in 1993. I love this picture....http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5905372/516full-maria-butyrskaya.jpg

i don't like saying it wouldn't ever happen again... but in Russia? that would be indeed special... like for instance, if Leonova kept on skating for another few years and suddenly brings it back ....

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
For me there will never be anyone like Daisuke Takahashi. True artist on the ice with unbeliavable sense for music and interpretation.

And also Sasha Cohen. I fell in love with her spirals when I was like 8 years old and she was my first skating idol, so it's kind of nostalgic here, but I still love watching her programs.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this thread, so I'm back for a second comment.

There will never be another Irina Rodnina.

3 Olympic Gold Medals.
11 European Championship Gold Medals.
10 World Championship Gold Medals.

That's a pretty spiffy competitive record.

There will never be another ... Kurt Browning.

I tried to link to a performance of Kurt's Nyah to back this up, but in all of the several vids on You Tube, the audio was muted for copyright reasons. :(

Surya Bonaly, Philippe Candeloro, Elvis Stojko, Oksana Baiul, Gordeeva and Grinkov- sorry for any wrong spellings; can you tell which year I became interested in figure skating?!!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Surya Bonaly, Philippe Candeloro, Elvis Stojko, Oksana Baiul, Gordeeva and Grinkov- sorry for any wrong spellings; can you tell which year I became interested in figure skating?!!!

Well, I think I do except, shouldn't Tonya and Nancy be in there somewhere?? ;)