Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Pogo could crash spectacularly. She's due for one.
Caro is another one.
Same with kaetlyn

according to what?

and what about other two ladies?

For me, no skater is ever 'due for' having any 'crash', out of curiosity - do You have any FS due crash timetable (who is due for crashing when)?

another personally projected statement based only on things selectively taken from particular skaters (very convenient to pick btw)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This situation would be horrible. Even with the three spots....if it's only 2 for Japan it is highly unlikely we would see Mao at the Olympics. Even with three spots it's mighty hard for her to compete in the next season, but with two it means the chances are probably zero. One might say she had her chances and she went to two Olympic Games....but it still hurts.

If Mao is 100% healthy, she can compete with anyone. She needs to have a strong GP season so that she can come to her Nationals with confidence. If she is still battling injury, she wouldn't make the team whether Japan has 2 or 3 spots. I'd love to see her earn a spot for sentimental reasons, but not if there are more deserving skaters who perform better during the season.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If Mao is 100% healthy, she can compete with anyone. She needs to have a strong GP season so that she can come to her Nationals with confidence. If she is still battling injury, she wouldn't make the team whether Japan has 2 or 3 spots. I'd love to see her earn a spot for sentimental reasons, but not if there are more deserving skaters who perform better during the season.

I'm not so sure. I don't think the judges like Mao as much as the audience. She needs the triple axel and she's not getting younger. I agree that if she delivers she should be able to go, if not - then no. But it's not getting easier, that's for sure. There is another question on how the spots will be decided. Japan doesn't only use Nationals as a guideline.

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva bombed at 2013 Worlds resulting in only 2 spots for Russia. One of them went to Lipnitskaia and the other to Sotnikova. So in a way Liza was responsible for the loss of 'her' own spot. It's complicated. You're not only skating for yourself, you're also skating for your countries' spots. I think the fed will remember this year. And if, for example, Mai delivers and helps to keep that third spot it will be counted in her favour next year. (If she delivers)

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
Pity that Satoko is out. The hip must have been worse than was reported. Team Japan is in a tight spot. Satoko is the one reliable to get a top 4 placement. With her gone, Mai is the next consistent one but on her first outing! Wakaba has the goods but not the consistency and also a first timer! Riga has been hit and miss. Unless Wakaba has the skate of her life, it looks to be tough. Mai is not likely to rank higher than 6 - I can't see how she will displace the Russians x3 and possibly one Canadian or American. Neither Wakaba nor Mai has the big natural X factor personality to grab high PE/IN scores. Very very tough unless technically they go lights out and someone on top melts down. But then ice is slippery...

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
its sad that we wont see Satton at worlds but as many said i am glad she taking her health seriously, i hope she wont feel like she abandoned her teammates and focus on recovering, she seems to have great supporters around her
and i hope Mai, Wakaba (and Rika of course) wont feel too much burden of getting 3 spots and enjoy every second of their 1st worlds experience, and i believe that reward will come, good luck to all ladies!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm so sad to hear that because her injury is much more serious than I thought and her FS program is so good (one of the best programs this season) that I don't want to miss it any further. However, it is eventually a good and wise decision for her health and career even if Japanese spots for the following Olympic could be endangered as she is the most reliable lady in the current Japanese ladies. I hope the other team members can bring in though.

sarama

Medalist
I'm heartbroken for Satoko. I loved her programmes this year.
Those three spots will be hard to maintain for Japan with Rika's current condition. Maybe Maori would have been a wiser choice (I know she doesn't have senior experience, but she's quite solid)

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Who is Maori? Is she a NZ import to Japan?
I think Sarama meant Kaori Sakamoto, she is eligible but unfortunately doesn't have tes minimum for senior WC.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm not surprised, but still sorry to see this. I love Satoko's skating and admire her consistency. Her long program is one one my favorites for the ladies this year! I'm glad she's taking the time to heal properly, and expect that she'll come back strong for the Olympic season.

moriel

Record Breaker
Two of the JPN women have to perform much better than expected to keep three spots. One of Karen or Mariah have to outperform to keep three for USA. It will be tough, but Satoko missing Worlds does help USA a lot; since she would have likely finished ahead of all the Americans, her absence lowers the top two placements by 2 (i.e. a 6th and 8th place finish becomes 5th and 7th).

Actually it looks like Japan and USA will be fighting for the 3rd spot between them, actually. If one gets 3 spots the other doesnt.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh. Many of my favourites are out but best for her. Rika Hongo is the first on substitute list. Will we see her? I am also pleased if I see her.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Pity that Satoko is out. The hip must have been worse than was reported. Team Japan is in a tight spot. Satoko is the one reliable to get a top 4 placement. With her gone, Mai is the next consistent one but on her first outing! Wakaba has the goods but not the consistency and also a first timer! Riga has been hit and miss. Unless Wakaba has the skate of her life, it looks to be tough. Mai is not likely to rank higher than 6 - I can't see how she will displace the Russians x3 and possibly one Canadian or American. Neither Wakaba nor Mai has the big natural X factor personality to grab high PE/IN scores. Very very tough unless technically they go lights out and someone on top melts down. But then ice is slippery...

Mai has the 5th highest SB out of the girls going to WC, so it's not impossible for her to rank higher than 6th at all. Of course she has to deliver like she did at 4CC, but if she does, she has a shot. Ashley who is behind her in SB might overtake her for example, but then Caro and Kaetlyn who have a higher SB than Mai also aren't as consistent. So really, it is impossible to say how this will go, but IMO the chance of Mai placing really well is definitely there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is depressing me :/

i just want to give you a big hug ;) :console:

regarding Satoko, I am relieved she made this decision. I want her strong and mighty for the Olympic games. She doesn't need to go to Finland, hurt, and underperform and risk losing her status as a real contender which took her all year to build back after last year's worlds.

I adore watching Satoko's refined skating, but I prefer she remains healthy and skates flawlessly next time she is on the ice.

Get well soon !!!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actually it looks like Japan and USA will be fighting for the 3rd spot between them, actually. If one gets 3 spots the other doesnt.

Probably so. It's hard for me to see JPN getting three, simply because the three RUS, Caro, and Ashley will be tough for any of the JPN ladies to beat. If two finish behind that group of skaters, you're already in 6th/7th and that's assuming they beat the women from CAN, the pair from USA, and everyone else. If the CAN women skate well, it's probably over for USA as well.