Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

Elaine666

Final Flight
Reminds me of 2015's worlds that Satoko and Rika were the newbies to worlds and we had Kanako as the experienced big sister :clap:still girls managed to keep 3 spots so I am staying optimistic now. Wish a good and quick recovery for Satoko, and good luck to Mai, Wakababy and Rika.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mai has the 5th highest SB out of the girls going to WC, so it's not impossible for her to rank higher than 6th at all. Of course she has to deliver like she did at 4CC, but if she does, she has a shot. Ashley who is behind her in SB might overtake her for example, but then Caro and Kaetlyn who have a higher SB than Mai also aren't as consistent. So really, it is impossible to say how this will go, but IMO the chance of Mai placing really well is definitely there.

Mai has been a very consistent skater this season, and she has skated better at each event.

The only problem I see for her at Worlds is that she isn't in the top 12 in WR (she just missed at #13) so she won't be in the final two flights for the SP. That could keep her PCS scores for the short on the low side. But if she turns in a squeaky clean FS and others ahead of her in the SP falter, she could still wind up in the top 6.

Of the three Japanese ladies, the only one with a WR in the top 12 is Hongo. Higuchi is 14th, right behind Kihara.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Gabby got 2nd and Kaetlyn got 4th???:confused:

Yes, that was probably worded wrong. They did better than the Americans, but all in all I doubt that they were satisfied with 4CC and they were both behind Mai. And I definitely believe that Mai is able to repeat her 4CC performance while I don't really trust Gabrielle and Kaetlyn to be clean.

Elaine666

Final Flight
Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva bombed at 2013 Worlds resulting in only 2 spots for Russia. One of them went to Lipnitskaia and the other to Sotnikova. So in a way Liza was responsible for the loss of 'her' own spot. It's complicated. You're not only skating for yourself, you're also skating for your countries' spots. I think the fed will remember this year. And if, for example, Mai delivers and helps to keep that third spot it will be counted in her favour next year. (If she delivers)

Liza was placed 10th at that year's national. If anyone would have gone to Sochi with a third spot that would be Elena R. Agreed about skating for the country's spots this year and we will see who can handle that pressure well. If any of the girls finishes within 5th, I say you have your Olympic tickets secured if you dont bomb the first half of next season.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Liza was placed 10th at that year's national. If anyone would have gone to Sochi with a third spot that would be Elena R. Agreed about skating for the country's spots this year and we will see who can handle that pressure well. If any of the girls finishes within 5th, I say you have your Olympic tickets secured if you dont bomb the first half of next season.

We'll never know how she would have done if she had a better result at 2013 Worlds. Also I think Elena was too young for Sochi, wasn't she? She was still in juniors that season. They sent Anna to Worlds in 2014 and she was 8th or something at 2013 Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, that was probably worded wrong. They did better than the Americans, but all in all I doubt that they were satisfied with 4CC and they were both behind Mai. And I definitely believe that Mai is able to repeat her 4CC performance while I don't really trust Gabrielle and Kaetlyn to be clean.

They did better than TWO of the Americans who will be at Worlds. Ashley Wagner wasn't at 4CC. Ashley has made top 6 in 4 of the past 5 Worlds and will likely do the same this year.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
They did better than TWO of the Americans who will be at Worlds. Ashley Wagner wasn't at 4CC. Ashley has made top 6 in 4 of the past 5 Worlds and will likely do the same this year.

Ashley's season so far hasn't been stellar. She also made the GPF consistently in the last years, and this year she didn't. I wish her all the best, but I think she will have it hard this year. Mai can definitely beat her. PCS alone won't help her this time. The tech score is where its at.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Ashley's season so far hasn't been stellar. She also made the GPF consistently in the last years, and this year she didn't. I wish her all the best, but I think she will have it hard this year. Mai can definitely beat her. PCS alone won't help her this time. The tech score is where its at.

This
and also Ashley's 's destiny is in tech panel's hands, depends how lenient they will be, while Mai doesn't have any tech issue, no urs, no edge.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker

Ashley was clearly UR'ing badly at Nationals. I hope she's been working hard on those landings, because if she UR's she will be buried.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is the rule still in place that disallows members of the Olympic tech panel coming from the same country as any skater finishing in the top 5 at the previous Worlds? If so, that could result in a strict caller like Amano being on there.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think Ashley was in top shape at Nationals - it seems like she is learning how to train for peaking at Worlds, if last year is any evidence. Her 3-3s might still be slightly under, but she won't be URing everything. And she's not the only major contender with UR problems (my darling Maria).

Re: Ashley's low place on the SB list - she didn't go to GPF, where some pretty high scores were given out. Her best skates of the season were early on in the season. If we look at her Worlds score last year, it was 215, which would put her in #4 on this SB list. Subtract 5 points for home inflation at that competition, and she's #5ish.

I think SB lists are silly given that comparing scores across competitions is an exercise in futility, but yeah. Just trying to be positive about my girl Ashley :biggrin:.

Mai's PCS will be interesting - I expect they'll rise quite a bit, with Satoko out. She has good skating, her programs are pretty, but they're nothing special, and I think she's capable of being more interesting. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins a medal. But it'll depend on how she handles the pressure of being the Japanese hope for 3 spots.

ETA: Assuming that Satoko and Marin are both healthy next season and potentially the obvious candidates for two Olympic spots, it's possible that Mai and Wakaba are both skating for the spot they'll be fighting over next season. I don't expect Rika to be a factor, sadly (though I would rather her surprise me!). Judges were never kind to her when she skated well - and she hasn't skated well all season. Wakaba is awfully inconsistent, but judges really do want to reward her, and they will when she executes the jumps.

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
Best wishes to Satoko for a complete recovery. I hope to see her at the Olympics next year.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I don't expect Rika to be a factor, sadly (though I would rather her surprise me!). Judges were never kind to her when she skated well - and she hasn't skated well all season. Wakaba is awfully inconsistent, but judges really do want to reward her, and they will when she executes the jumps.

Does anyone know why the judges are so harsh on Rika?

magicalwords

On the Ice
This is a sad news! But best wishes, hope for her speedy recovery. Come back stronger next season! :sad21:

At the same time this is a crucial chance for the young'uns to prove themselves. Good luck to the ladies.

andromache

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why the judges are so harsh on Rika?

I've always really loved Rika's personality on ice, and her jumps used to be fairly reliable, but man, her posture and spin positions are bad. Granted, there are some skaters who haven't been held back too much by those sorts of aesthetic issues, so :confused2:. There might be something that doesn't really translate to video, like ice coverage or something, that could play a role.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Just a question but shouldn't they send Marin?
Nothing against Rika but she has been injured too and out of form whereas Marin did really well at Junior worlds. I understand that it could be too short notice but she is in good shape.

all the best to Satoko but that's a terrible news for team Japan :(