Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Just a question but shouldn't they send Marin?
Nothing against Rika but she has been injured too and out of form whereas Marin did really well at Junior worlds. I understand that it could be too short notice but she is in good shape.

all the best to Satoko but that's a terrible news for team Japan :(

She's not age eligible.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She's not age eligible.

In addition, I believe she has not competed in any senior competitions, so she wouldn't have the minimum TES to go to worlds anyway even if she was.

Cause obviously she's too young to compete in them, LOL.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I've always really loved Rika's personality on ice, and her jumps used to be fairly reliable, but man, her posture and spin positions are bad. Granted, there are some skaters who haven't been held back too much by those sorts of aesthetic issues, so :confused2:. There might be something that doesn't really translate to video, like ice coverage or something, that could play a role.

i saw Rika early in the season at ACI. I was a fan of her Riverdance... Granted it was early in the season, I am not pretending that I have 100% knowledge of how she always skates... however, at ACI, she was slow, had poor ice coverage, had very unappealing posture and position, not only in spins and steps but also in her jumps... some of them were tight,URed and off axis. I was shocked...I watched the youtube video, she looked much better on "film" than in person.. Some people said she was better at Skate Canada or was it Skate America??? ... I wasn't there but the videos to me looked pretty close to one another... perhaps I was just expecting too much from being a fan before seeing her live.

I think the major difference though this year, is that her jumps haven't been solid like they were in previous years. Considering the deepening field in ladies over the last couple years, even someone with the greatest skating wouldn't make it if the jumps are not there.

Re your girl Ashley, I appreciate that as a fan, you see the positive. As someone who is pretty neutral towards Ashley, I have a hard time forgetting NHK.

I wish everyone to skate their best and be healthy.... once again, Satoko, you will be missed.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Does anyone know why the judges are so harsh on Rika?
They're not harsh on Rika...

2014-2015 season she went from strength to strength, she was rewarded accordingly, she was setting new PB's almost every competition.

Then she went into a bit of a slump (comparitively speaking), she has been unable to return to form this season either, and her scores have reflected that too.

If there was any "harshness" I'd say it came from the tech panel at this season's Skate America*, rather than judges.
Her experience at SA might also have put a big dent in her confidence for the rest of the season.

*Edit: (correction: I meant Skate Canada. Thanks MaiKatze!)

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Even if Marin or Kaori were eligible, could they change the substitutes any more this late? The subs are also announced before deadline datum, is it obligatory?

andromache

Record Breaker
Even if Marin or Kaori were eligible, could they change the substitutes any more this late? The subs are also announced before deadline datum, is it obligatory?

If Marin or Kaori were eligible, they'd already be ahead of Rika on the substitutes list tbh.

TMC

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear the news, I was really looking forward to seeing Satoko in person. Maybe at Finlandia next year?

Happy for Rika though, she is going to knock it out of the park with her Riverdance. Finns love to clap along :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
They're not harsh on Rika...

2014-2015 season she went from strength to strength, she was rewarded accordingly, she was setting new PB's almost every competition.

Then she went into a bit of a slump (comparitively speaking), she has been unable to return to form this season either, and her scores have reflected that too.

If there was any "harshness" I'd say it came from the tech panel at this season's Skate America, rather than judges.
Her experience at SA might also have put a big dent in her confidence for the rest of the season.

Wasn't that Skate Canada, this season? The one where she had to wait so long for the scores and they really dinged her? Cup of China was slightly better if I remember correctly. Anyway, this season wasn't her season at all. I hope she can leave her mark at Worlds but she is no judges pet and top ten might even be too much to ask.

lbamda

On the Ice

This
and also Ashley's 's destiny is in tech panel's hands, depends how lenient they will be, while Mai doesn't have any tech issue, no urs, no edge.

Mai has a problem with an edge on Lutz (actually I don't know why, but very few Japanese girls have no problems with edges) it is well visible on video and attentive techpanel to her call him.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Mai has a problem with an edge on Lutz (actually I don't know why, but very few Japanese girls have no problems with edges) it is well visible on video and attentive techpanel to her call him.

Very few ladies overall have no edge problems.

andromache

Record Breaker

Liza T. and Carolina are the only current senior ladies who come to mind.

Junior ladies don't count tbh. It seems like many ladies had both clean lutz and flip as juniors, but that changed after growth.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker

Mai used to have edge problem as junior , she fixed it and at most picky cases her lz is ! but not e

here are protocols of this season:
http://www.deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2016/ Nebelhorn Trophy only weird ! and on flip not lz which is funny
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpusa2016/ - skate America zero edge call and unclear
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpchn2016/ - Cup of china no edge no ! (and remember how harsh this panel was)
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/fc2017/index.htm - 4cc clean protocol again

She got just one carrot +downgrade on her combo this season,it happened at SA when she tried YOLO second combo and failed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Liza T. and Carolina are the only current senior ladies who come to mind.

Junior ladies don't count tbh. It seems like many ladies had both clean lutz and flip as juniors, but that changed after growth.

Carolina has received no edge calls on her lutz for sure this year ;)

ETA what about Gabby and Alaine ? their lutz are lutzes... so are they lipping?

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker

Osmond flutzes, Alaine lips terribly , Gabby used to lip but she has improved ,from time to times she has good flip, at times flatish not e definitely.

lbamda

On the Ice
Mai used to have edge problem as junior , she fixed it and at most picky cases her lz is ! but not e

Actually at it "e" - in juniors she regularly received it. On flip at it "!" - so happens when at mature age try to be retrained. So at it there is a lot of real problems with edges.

I know, but among Japanese especially it isn't enough)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby got 2nd and Kaetlyn got 4th???:confused:

Mariah Bell did very well to finish 6th at 4CC, her first senior ISU championship.

Guess where Gabby and Kaetlyn placed at their first 4CC? 7th in 2015-Gabby, 7th in 2013-Kaetlyn.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Right. If that's a pathetic attempt to criticize her content, she did put out a lutz at national just less than 3 months ago. No edge call.