Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

Rissa

Record Breaker
Whoa. I didn't expect that. I'm nit the greatest fan of Satoko so I'm actually rather happy for Rika... but what condition is Rika in? Wasn't she also injured?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Whoa. I didn't expect that. I'm nit the greatest fan of Satoko so I'm actually rather happy for Rika... but what condition is Rika in? Wasn't she also injured?

She was injured and competed at several competitions, so there might be some level of exhaustion for her. Either way, even if she didn't expect or prepare, I think the pressure is there for her as the only 'senior' lady to deliver. It's not an easy situation for all three of them. But I think an injured Satoko competing would've been worse. So if they are to lose the third spot it probably would have happened anyway - with disastrous results for Satoko's body and mind, so this is the best solution.

Rissa

Record Breaker
She was injured and competed at several competitions, so there might be some level of exhaustion for her. Either way, even if she didn't expect or prepare, I think the pressure is there for her as the only 'senior' lady to deliver. It's not an easy situation for all three of them. But I think an injured Satoko competing would've been worse. So if they are to lose the third spot it probably would have happened anyway - with disastrous results for Satoko's body and mind, so this is the best solution.

Thanks. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the Japanese girls hoping they'll deliver.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rika won Coupe de Printemps a week ago. My guess is this was her prep event before Worlds.
She didn't have a huge score (162.56), about 20 points less than she scored at CoC.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In addition, I believe she has not competed in any senior competitions, so she wouldn't have the minimum TES to go to worlds anyway even if she was.

Cause obviously she's too young to compete in them, LOL.

Well Radionova & Tuktamysheva both competed in Senior Grand Prix events for a start before turning 15 IIRC but obviously without being eligible for any Senior Championships (like Euros or Worlds). I am not sure whether it's still allowed though. :scratch2:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They're not harsh on Rika...

2014-2015 season she went from strength to strength, she was rewarded accordingly, she was setting new PB's almost every competition.

Then she went into a bit of a slump (comparitively speaking), she has been unable to return to form this season either, and her scores have reflected that too.

If there was any "harshness" I'd say it came from the tech panel at this season's Skate America*, rather than judges.
Her experience at SA might also have put a big dent in her confidence for the rest of the season.

*Edit: (correction: I meant Skate Canada. Thanks MaiKatze!)

I remember those calls. Ugh, don't get me started on them. Like that 3T - 3T < call from SP, ridiculous. :noshake: They though have access to different camera so idk, but still I was baffled anyway.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Well Radionova & Tuktamysheva both competed in Senior Grand Prix events for a start before turning 15 IIRC but obviously without being eligible for any Senior Championships (like Euros or Worlds). I am not sure whether it's still allowed though. :scratch2:

Not allowed anymore. They removed that loophole after Sochi.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Rika won Coupe de Printemps a week ago. My guess is this was her prep event before Worlds.
She didn't have a huge score (162.56), about 20 points less than she scored at CoC.

Yes, that makes sense in retrospect. I did wonder why they were making her compete again.

slider11

Medalist
Wow...this is most unfortunate for Team Japan. I love Satoko's gentle style on the ice. But those jumps were suspect. The technique was just not there and, sadly, I think had an impact on her hip. I presume she was trying to get some height on the jumps and it took a toll. Get well, Satoko, and best wishes to Team Japan. It would be sad if they lose a spot at the Olympics.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel very sorry for Satoko. Injuries are part of sports, unfortunately, and they often happen at the worst times when an athlete is training the hardest. She's such a determined and hard working young lady, though, I've no doubt she'll come back strong next season. I think most are counting Rika out, but I have a soft spot for her. I hope she slays it and puts in a fantastic performance at Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Right. If that's a pathetic attempt to criticize her content, she did put out a lutz at national just less than 3 months ago. No edge call.

stating a fact is not necessarily criticizing... Caro has done one lutz all season, and Tukt may have both her lutz and flip with clear edges, she is not competing at worlds. If anything my comment was more directed at andromache for providing the not so relevant information about skaters who have both clear edges as one of them will be absent and the other one may or may not include both jumps in her programs :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It is bad that Satoko has to withdraw, or she did not withdraw earlier to let Kaori to get the minimum score, because Kaori looks really promising this year, and better than Wakaba. I wonder if it had anything to do with Marin's junior worlds silver— 1) coach just came back from Taipei and finally made the decision; or 2) Marin is awesome, and next year, she may well replace Satoko's no. 1 position once she goes senior. Therefore, the more important thing is to prepare for the next season.

chloepoco

Medalist
It is bad that Satoko has to withdraw, or she did not withdraw earlier to let Kaori to get the minimum score, because Kaori looks really promising this year, and better than Wakaba. I wonder if it had anything to do with Marin's junior worlds silver— 1) coach just came back from Taipei and finally made the decision; or 2) Marin is awesome, and next year, she may well replace Satoko's no. 1 position once she goes senior. Therefore, the more important thing is to prepare for the next season.

Wow...there are just so many things wrong with your post. I really don't think there was any conspiracy theory as to when and why Satoko withdrew.

ioanna

Record Breaker
It is bad that Satoko has to withdraw, or she did not withdraw earlier to let Kaori to get the minimum score, because Kaori looks really promising this year, and better than Wakaba..

Earlier? She withdrew from every competition since the beginning of February. Kaori was assigned to go in her place at AWG, do you think she was chosen randomly? That was Kaori's opportunity to compete at a senior event and get the TES minimum or whatever. Unfortunately she had to withdraw with the flu.

Marin is awesome, and next year, she may well replace Satoko's no. 1 position once she goes senior. Therefore, the more important thing is to prepare for the next season.
Yeah, that definitely sounds more plausible. :palmf:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mariah Bell did very well to finish 6th at 4CC, her first senior ISU championship.

Guess where Gabby and Kaetlyn placed at their first 4CC? 7th in 2015-Gabby, 7th in 2013-Kaetlyn.

chuck, before the event, you said things like if the Canadians did well... it would be expected since the top skaters weren't there...

so they placed 2 and 4.... and you are saying now that Mariah still did well since it was her first ISU championships and well she ended 6th... well... shouldn't that mean anything since none of the top girls were there?? that's quite a double standard right..?

in 2017 indeed, some of the usual suspects were not present... Kaetlyn faced a tough Japanese and American team in 2013. As a matter of fact, Mao won the event and Japan swept the podium.

In 2015, Gabby at a rather young age, faced a strong US team with Edmunds and Gold and the Japanese skaters as well. WHy do you keep making up things out of random numbers that really don't mean anything... The facts are that this year, when Mariah faced both Gabby and Kaetlyn at 4CC, she placed behind them. That a simple and easy fact. Does it mean anything for the future? No... She could outskate them at worlds. But this weird comparison you are trying to bring here is just so meaningless that it seems like an attempt to play smoke and mirrors on what happened this year, when the 3 of them were at the same event.

Last edited:

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I am looking for Wakaba to surprise us. If she hits, I believe she has the potential to shake things up. She has a presence that draws me in even with mistakes. If she's clean, I believe she can crack the Top 5 if not snag a bronze purely on her own merit. I know that's saying alot, but I believe it.