Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara withdraws from 2017 Worlds

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I am looking for Wakaba to surprise us. If she hits, I believe she has the potential to shake things up. She has a presence that draws me in even with mistakes. If she's clean, I believe she can crack the Top 5 if not snag a bronze purely on her own merit. I know that's saying alot, but I believe it.

Yes, her jumps are so big and her SS are great but she shouldn't pop her jumps, especially in the SP. It is worrisome that her popping seems to become her bad habit. She needs to conquer her nerves. The meltdown at 4CC was more enough already and I don't want to see that happen again, especially in the highest pressured competition of this season.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I am looking for Wakaba to surprise us. If she hits, I believe she has the potential to shake things up. She has a presence that draws me in even with mistakes. If she's clean, I believe she can crack the Top 5 if not snag a bronze purely on her own merit. I know that's saying alot, but I believe it.

Wakaba is my favorite Japanese lady so I would love for this to happen, but man, after 4CCs I am getting shades of Gracie Gold from her. When she is on she is truly among the best, most well-rounded skaters in the world, but is prone to nerves.

Then again, Gracie Gold cracked the top 5 more than once at Worlds, so that's not the worst thing in the world. Goooo Wakaba!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am so sad to hear this, I hope Satoko is on the mend. Sounds like her team is smart about it, there is no point risking more injury the year before an Olympic year. I am really sad for her though. Her LP this year is one of my favorites.

Get well soon tiny queen!

Barb

Record Breaker
Why not send Mao?? :cool14:

it is a joke? the first official alternative is Rika, the second one Kanako. Do you think Mao has been training for a competition like Worlds when she was not even considered as second replacement?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
it is a joke? the first official alternative is Rika, the second one Kanako. Do you think Mao has been training for a competition like Worlds when she was not even considered as second replacement?
well i will let sam answer for his own...

but personally, I just wished that Mao would have been the first alternate. But thankfully, not being the first alternate means that she is taking care of her health.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Wakaba is my favorite Japanese lady so I would love for this to happen, but man, after 4CCs I am getting shades of Gracie Gold from her. When she is on she is truly among the best, most well-rounded skaters in the world, but is prone to nerves.

Then again, Gracie Gold cracked the top 5 more than once at Worlds, so that's not the worst thing in the world. Goooo Wakaba!

Yup, Wakababy is the Japanese counterpart of Gracie Gold - so talented, big athleticism, so strong and with amazing basic SS to boot. Unfortunately, her pops and wonky jump landings show that she has a competitive nerve issue. Wakaba needs strong and lively programs to show case her power, not go light and glide like for Satoko or Marin. Mai is more consistent than Wakaba but if both were to go clean, my bet is on Wakaba to have the higher scores due to her more powerful skating and SS.

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
Liza was placed 10th at that year's national. If anyone would have gone to Sochi with a third spot that would be Elena R. Agreed about skating for the country's spots this year and we will see who can handle that pressure well. If any of the girls finishes within 5th, I say you have your Olympic tickets secured if you dont bomb the first half of next season.

I'm pretty sure that Elena wasn't age eligible at the time. Julia barely was (less than a month's leeway) , and Elena's younger by 1/2 a year.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
I'm very very sad for Satoko. :( Her FS is one of my favourites programs of the year, and probably the best FS in the Ladies for me, I really hope she will keep this choreography masterpiece for the next year :luv17:
On the other side, I'm really happy to hear that she and her team put her health first! Get well soon, Satoko :ghug:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
chuck, before the event, you said things like if the Canadians did well... it would be expected since the top skaters weren't there...

so they placed 2 and 4.... and you are saying now that Mariah still did well since it was her first ISU championships and well she ended 6th... well... shouldn't that mean anything since none of the top girls were there?? that's quite a double standard right..?

in 2017 indeed, some of the usual suspects were not present... Kaetlyn faced a tough Japanese and American team in 2013. As a matter of fact, Mao won the event and Japan swept the podium.

The Japanese team in 2013 was Mao, Suzuki and Murakami---and Kaetlyn had beaten Suzuki at Skate Canada that year. The US team was Christina Gao, Gracie Gold (in her first ISU senior Championship) and Agnes Zawadzki. Yes, the Japanese won because they were the only non-newbies in the competition. Zijun Li was also in her first ISU senior Championship. Gao was 4th, Li 5th, Gold 6th, Osmond 7th.

Asada went on to 3rd place at Worlds 2013. Murakami was 4th, Wagner 5th and Gold 6th, Li was 7th and Osmond 8th.

In 2015, Gabby at a rather young age, faced a strong US team with Edmunds and Gold and the Japanese skaters as well.

The Japanese team in 2015 wasn't all that strong: Miyahara, Hongo and Nagai. And the US team was Gold (who's never skated her best at 4CC), Edmunds and Cesario. Edmunds won, Miyahara was 2nd, Hongo 3rd, Gracie 4th, Li 5th, Nagai 6th and Gabby 7th.

At Worlds, Tut won, Miyahara was 2nd, Radionova 3rd, Gold 4th, Wagner 5th, Hongo 6th, Murakami 7th, Edmunds 8th, Li 9th. Chartrand was 11th and Daleman 21st.

WHy do you keep making up things out of random numbers that really don't mean anything... The facts are that this year, when Mariah faced both Gabby and Kaetlyn at 4CC, she placed behind them. That a simple and easy fact. Does it mean anything for the future? No... She could outskate them at worlds. But this weird comparison you are trying to bring here is just so meaningless that it seems like an attempt to play smoke and mirrors on what happened this year, when the 3 of them were at the same event.

I'm just pointing out that both Osmond and Daleman at this year's 4CC were experienced skaters and Mariah Bell was a newbie. Yes, Daleman beat Nagasu, Bell and Chen, and Osmond beat Bell and Chen. But both Daleman and Osmond were beaten by senior ISU Championship newbie Mihara, who will be at Worlds, too.

d6886

On the Ice
I'm so sad we won't see her fantastic free on WC. It's my favourite lady program this year :( Hope she will heal properly and show us her best during next year, especially Olympics!

geige

On the Ice
The Japanese team in 2013 was Mao, Suzuki and Murakami---and Kaetlyn had beaten Suzuki at Skate Canada that year. The US team was Christina Gao, Gracie Gold (in her first ISU senior Championship) and Agnes Zawadzki. Yes, the Japanese won because they were the only non-newbies in the competition. Zijun Li was also in her first ISU senior Championship. Gao was 4th, Li 5th, Gold 6th, Osmond 7th.

Asada went on to 3rd place at Worlds 2013. Murakami was 4th, Wagner 5th and Gold 6th, Li was 7th and Osmond 8th.

The Japanese team in 2015 wasn't all that strong: Miyahara, Hongo and Nagai. And the US team was Gold (who's never skated her best at 4CC), Edmunds and Cesario. Edmunds won, Miyahara was 2nd, Hongo 3rd, Gracie 4th, Li 5th, Nagai 6th and Gabby 7th.

At Worlds, Tut won, Miyahara was 2nd, Radionova 3rd, Gold 4th, Wagner 5th, Hongo 6th, Murakami 7th, Edmunds 8th, Li 9th. Chartrand was 11th and Daleman 21st.

I'm just pointing out that both Osmond and Daleman at this year's 4CC were experienced skaters and Mariah Bell was a newbie. Yes, Daleman beat Nagasu, Bell and Chen, and Osmond beat Bell and Chen. But both Daleman and Osmond were beaten by senior ISU Championship newbie Mihara, who will be at Worlds, too.

So, my takeaway is this: no matter what placements the Canadian ladies earn, as long as they're not the champion, there will always be a reason that they should be considered inadequate??

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So, my takeaway is this: no matter what placements the Canadian ladies earn, as long as they're not the champion, there will always be a reason that they should be considered inadequate??

don't worry, if the Canadian ladies win anything, some people will always find ways to belittle them... chuckm, it's enough... another long post which is completely meaningless...

Being a newbie is not always a curse.... ask Medvedeva ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't consider them inadequate. Sorry to hear that YOU do.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
don't worry, if the Canadian ladies win anything, some people will always find ways to belittle them... chuckm, it's enough... another long post which is completely meaningless...

Being a newbie is not always a curse.... ask Medvedeva ;)

At just about every event, Medvedeva turns in a clean SP and FS. Her consistency is the most amazing thing about her. And she came up to senior after winning everything as a junior, so she was already an established contender---not a typical newbie.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Osmond was the favorite to win Four Continents this year. Yes, 4th place was a big disappointment in that regard.

I hope the Japanese ladies can hold onto 3 spots. Mai Mihara and Wakaba Higuchi are good enough to do. I'm really happy Rika Hongo will get to compete as well, but unfortunately I don't think her mental state is competitive, since the judges have ruined her career with the atrocious calls and low PCS that have been lobbed at her over the past year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At just about every event, Medvedeva turns in a clean SP and FS. Her consistency is the most amazing thing about her. And she came up to senior after winning everything as a junior, so she was already an established contender---not a typical newbie.

in hindsight it's easy to say that... but all year, many people said : no junior world champion has ever managed to win senior worlds the year after.... a lot of people wondered if she would remain consistent at worlds as well... so, yes a newbie.

Let's wish Mai, Mariah, Karen and other newbies a great competition while others like Satoko and Mao rest and heal.

rosy14

Final Flight
If the skater is the only representative of their country and places in the top 2, they will gain 3 spots. Otherwise the total of 13 rule still applies.

With only a skater winning gold, the country earns three spots, but if the one wins only silver, no way for the three spots.