6 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES

Ice Dance
1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
2 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
4 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
5 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
6 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE

It's so difficult to predict, so I simply followed their season best with a bit of my own thoughts.
I will be happy if this prediction bombed, because I had to row-ball some of my favorites:think:.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
THIS IS YOUR ONE HOUR AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTE WARNING.

You have just 1 hour 45 minutes left until the target time to get your predictions in, i.e. until 09:40 EEST (08:40 CEST / 07:40 BST / 06:40 GMT)

But, as usual in my Games, this is just a target time so that you are not rushing about at the last minute. Predictions for each category will still be accepted up until the start of that category’s Short Programme.

Please Note: if you want to change your predictions after the first SP has started, you have to post the amendments IN A NEW POST. Editing your original post will invalidate your predictions.

(Yes, this was supposed to be posted earlier, but I went back to doing my own predictions and forgot).

CaroLiza_fan

casualfan

On the Ice
MEN
1. Yuzuru Hanyu
2. Nathan Chen
3. Javier Fernandez
4. Patrick Chan
5. Shoma Uno

6. Denis Ten
7. Jason Brown

LADIES
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Anna Pogorilaya
3. Carolina Kostner
4. Kaetlyn Osmond
5. Ashley Wagner

6. Maria Sotskova
7. Mai Mihara

PAIRS
1. Sui / Han
2. Savchenko / Massot
3. Tarasova / Morozov
4. Duhamel / Radford
5. James / Cipres

6. Stolbova / Klimov
7. Yu / Zhang

ICE DANCE
1. Virtue / Moir
2. Shibutani / Shibutani
3. Papadakis / Cizeron
4. Chock / Bates
5. Bobrova / Soloviev

6. Cappellini / Lanotte
7. Weaver / Poje

tinnychan

On the Ice
Ladies
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2 Anna POGORILAYA
3 Carolina KOSTNER
4 Kaetlyn OSMOND
5 Wakaba HIGUCHI
6 Ashley WAGNER

Men
1 Nathan CHEN
2 Yuzuru HANYU
3 Javier FERNANDEZ
4 Shoma UNO
5 Patrick CHAN
6 Boyang JIN

Pairs
1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT
3 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
4 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
5 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG
6 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES

Ice dance
1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
2 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
3 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
4 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
5 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
6 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE

gnom

On the Ice
Ladies
1. Medvedeva
2. Wagner
3. Kostner
4. Mihara

Men
1. Hanyu
2. Chen
3. Uno
4. Fernandez
5. Chan

Pairs
1. Sui/Han
2. Savchenko/Massot
3. Tarasovs/Morozov
4. Duhamel/Radford
5. Yu/Zhang

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Papadakis/Cizeron
3. Shibutani/Shibutani
4. Chock/Bates
5. Cappelini/Lanotte

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ladies
1. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2. Anna POGORILAYA
3. Carolina KOSTNER
4. Mai MIHARA
5. Kaetlyn OSMOND
6. Ashley WAGNER

Men
1. Yuzuru HANYU
2. Nathan CHEN
3. Javier FENANDEZ
4. Shoma UNO
5. Patrick CHAN
6. Denis TEN

Pairs
1. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT
3. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
4. Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG
5. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
6. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV

Dance
1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
2. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
3. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
4. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
6. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV

NicoleJ96B

Rinkside
MEN:
1. Nathan Chen
2. Yuzuru Hanyu
3. Javier Fernandez
4.Patrick Chan
5. Shoma Uno
LADIES:
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Katelyn Osmond
3. Ashley Wagner
4. Carolina Kostner
5. Anna Pogorilaya
6. Mai Mihara
ICE DANCE:
1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir
2. Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani
3. Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron
4. Madison Chock and Evan Bates
5. Anna Cappelini and Luca Lanotte
6. Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje
PAIRS:
1. SUI/HAN
2. DUHAMEL/RADFORD
3. STOLBOVA/KLIMOV
4. SAVCHENKO/MASSOT
5. TARASAOVA/MOROZOV
6. CIPRES/JAMES

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's a good job the action is starting later today, because I made out my Men's predictions this morning, and only realised there now that I hadn't actually posted them! :eek:

Right, finally finished watching the Men’s FS from Europeans, so now feel qualified enough to make predictions (although, I still haven’t seen the 4 Continents FS either, because I was worried about the British Eurosport commentators giving away the result from Europeans).

Anyway, I knew exactly who I was going to have as my Top 6 – Orser’s Boys; the “陈-Brothers”; Boyang; and Shoma. But, I was being pulled in all possible directions for what order to put them in.

In previous years, it would be easier, as you would just put Orser’s boys at the top, and then try to sort out the others. But, Nathan doing umpteen quads in his programmes this season has really mixed things up. He is now ahead of Javi on the absolute PB list by 3.5 points.

That said, we haven’t seen Javi perform to his full potential this season yet. Although his absolute SB’s for the FS and the overall score were from Nationals, his SP score there was 5 points lower than it was at Europeans. Of course, although he won the title at Europeans, we all know that his FS did not go well. In fact, it was a full 12 points lower than what he scored for it at Nationals and at the Cup of Russia. So, we know he is capable of getting a much higher overall score from these programmes if he can skate them both clean.

On top of this, Shoma joined the 300 club a couple of weeks ago at the Coupe de Printemps.

Quite frankly, any of them could win the World title. And I am sure all of them will try to pull something extra out of the bag for Worlds. So, I have made my predictions based on their best performances of this season.

For the remaining two, Patrick’s absolute PB was 6 points higher than Boyang’s absolute PB. But Boyang scored his at 4 Continents last season, whereas Patrick scored his at the Trophée de France in 2013. Looking at their SB’s, there is practically nothing to separate them.

I know I’m taking a chance, but I just have a feeling about Patrick.

The guys that made up the rest of the Top 10 in the absolute PB list were also the same guys that were in the Top 10 according to how they performed this season. However, the orders they were in were vastly different! So, for these positions, I went with my gut.

I did make one deviation, though. I pushed Kovtun out of the Top 10, and replaced him with the guy who was 11th on the absolute PB list, Alexei Bychenko. I have been really impressed with his progress over the past couple of seasons, and would like to see him break into the Top 10 at Worlds for the first time.

Yes, I know my predictions would mean that Russia would not get three slots for the Pyeongchang Olympics. But, Kovtun is so inconsistent that you just don’t know which version of him is going to show up each day. When he is good, Kovtun is brilliant. But when he is not good, Kovtun is awful.

The Ice Dance predictions will follow some time before they start. But, it’s going to be interesting doing them, as I haven’t seen the Ice Dance from either Europeans or 4 Continents, and have no hope of seeing anything before tomorrow!

Caroliza_fan

SENIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men

1. Nathan CHEN, USA
2. Yuzuru HANYU, JPN
3. Javier FERNANDEZ, ESP
4. Shoma UNO, JPN
5. Patrick CHAN, CAN

Just for fun
6. Boyang JIN, CHN
7. Mikhail KOLYADA, RUS
8. Jason BROWN, USA
9. Denis TEN, KAZ
10. Alexei BYCHENKO, ISR

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As I said in my last post, I haven’t seen the Ice Dance from either Europeans or 4 Continents. So, I don’t really have a full picture of how the recent season has gone.

That said, it is pretty straightforward who to put into the Top 10. The not so straightforward bit is what order to put them in!

Going by how the season has gone, you would think that it would be a battle between Virtue / Moir and Papadakis / Cizeron for the title. But, when you look at the absolute PB’s, there is actually a 30 point difference in favour of the Canadians. Admittedly, it is 7 years old, but the significance is that only once this season have Tessa and Scott scored lower than Gabriella and Guillaume’s absolute PB (which was from last season).

The other significance is that there are four other couples in between them. And all of those scores were achieved this season.

So, much as I like them, I don’t think the French are going to be contenders for the title.

Tessa and Scott have won everything they’ve entered since their comeback. And I don’t think that is going to change. And I see their main challenge coming from the Shibutanis, who are the only other couple to have broken the 200 point mark.

In third on the absolute PB list was Chock / Bates. But, I was actually torn between two different couples for the bronze medal. Should I go with Papadakis / Cizeron as an insurance policy, or go with Bobrova / Soloviev? Come on, it’s me! Of course I’m going with the Russians!

I put the French in 4th, and the Americans in 5th. But then came another tough decision. Capellini / Lanotte or Weaver / Poje. And I like both of them! Although the Italians have the more recent absolute PB, and it is 4 points higher, I wanted to go with the North American partnership. But, when I looked at all their scores this season, the Italians were consistently higher. So, in the end I went with the Italians.

I did make a change from the absolute PB order for the next two on the list. Hubbell / Donohue and Stepanova / Bukin both scored their absolute PB’s at Nationals this season. But, although the Americans are 2 points higher, I think the Russians are more likely to finish ahead.

To round off my Top 10, I kept Gilles / Poirier in their absolute PB position. Guignard / Fabbri were only 0.18 behind them, but I rate the Canadians more.

Not sure whether I will watch any of the Short Dance, or take the opportunity to catch up on what I missed of the Ladies SP before the FS starts. But, all the best everybody!

Caroliza_fan

SENIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ice Dance

1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, CAN
2. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI, USA
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, RUS
4. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, FRA
5. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES, USA

Just for fun
6. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, ITA
7. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, CAN
8. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN, RUS
9. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE, USA
10. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER, CAN

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Looks like everyone forgot about Prediction game. But I did the scoring for ladies anyway. Was the tough one except the first place. Anna's disaster affected seriously the scores as she was among top 3 in most of the predictions. The more precious is the result of the winner who despite all the odds scored very high and single-handed won this.

GOLD with 55 points: SashaJuliaSpins

There are groups for the silver and bronze

SILVER with 50 points: Debrah, Sugarpova, Starsfan84

BRONZE with 45 points: 4everchan, lovaticcanada, figurefan0726, Tyranid, LA143, Ice Diva, lady_bee

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap:

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
Looks like everyone forgot about Prediction game. But I did the scoring for ladies anyway. Was the tough one except the first place. Anna's disaster affected seriously the scores as she was among top 3 in most of the predictions. The more precious is the result of the winner who despite all the odds scored very high and single-handed won this.

GOLD with 55 points: SashaJuliaSpins

There are groups for the silver and bronze

SILVER with 50 points: Debrah, Sugarpova, Starsfan84

BRONZE with 45 points: 4everchan, lovaticcanada, figurefan0726, Tyranid, LA143, Ice Diva, lady_bee

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap:

Actually I believe for this round that the points are doubled according to the rules:

1. As this Championship is the most prestigious in Figure Skating, there will be DOUBLE POINTS on offer. So, it will be:

30 points for guessing right;
20 points for 1 place out;
10 points for 2 places out.

2. If you get the podium correct in any discipline, you will get a 30 point bonus.

3. If you get all five predictions correct, you will get a 50 point bonus.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually I believe for this round that the points are doubled according to the rules:

1. As this Championship is the most prestigious in Figure Skating, there will be DOUBLE POINTS on offer. So, it will be:

30 points for guessing right;
20 points for 1 place out;
10 points for 2 places out.

2. If you get the podium correct in any discipline, you will get a 30 point bonus.

3. If you get all five predictions correct, you will get a 50 point bonus.

Correct.

Thank you for being on the ball and reminding not just samkrut but also me. Because I had actually just started scoring Pairs according to the normal rules! :eek:

So, now you understand why I didn't send out an e-mail to remind you all about the funny scoring - I had forgotten myself! :laugh:

It should be easy enough to fix, though. Just doubling the scores.

Because, let's face it, somehow I don't think there will be many bonus points handed out... :p

I haven't seen the Men yet so I don't know what happened there. But, the rest of the event was pretty topsy-turvey!

Thanks again, rosacotton. :bow: :bow: :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Here are the Pairs results.

This round was not as high scoring as it could have been. Largely due to Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford only finishing seventh.

Of the 93 players who submitted predictions for Pairs, only 15 earned bonus points. And all of those 15 only earned them for getting the Podium correct. Nobody managed to get the Top 5 correct.

HOWEVER, special mention must go to Marius and psusanne, who were the only players to get the Top 4 correct. Although correctly putting Yu Xiaoyu and Zhang Hao into 4th did not earn them any extra bonus points, the normal points it earned them were enough to ensure that they each won a Gold Medal!

So, here are the podium positions:

GOLD with 160 points: Marius, psusanne.

SILVER with 150 points: Florencito, matmuh, rosacotton, Sackie, Weathergal.

BRONZE with 140 points: gnom, tinnychan.

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

I’ve got stuff to do this afternoon, so I’ll put the scores into the spreadsheet tomorrow morning.

But, if you spot any mistakes when I do put the scores up, please let me know. I didn't know how to get Excel to give out bonus points automatically, and so had to look for people with the Top 3 or Top 5 correct myself. Although I did it twice, I could still have missed somebody (e.g. I found NoNameFace on the second attempt).

CaroLiza_fan

Antyv

On the Ice
But, if you spot any mistakes when I do put the scores up, please let me know. I didn't know how to get Excel to give out bonus points automatically, and so had to look for people with the Top 3 or Top 5 correct myself. Although I did it twice, I could still have missed somebody (e.g. I found NoNameFace on the second attempt).

CaroLiza_fan

You can download here some realization.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLVEdgZR-SmeFo2UTNqM1FMbzQ

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the ice dance scores come around, a lot of folks will be getting that bonus of 30 points for predicting the correct podium.

But who knew the Shibs would be so close to not getting on the podium had Zach not tripped?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
i have the correct podium in dance (easy) but bombed at high speed all the other segments with the biggest failures in men and ladies (other than the first in ladies:laugh:).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I didn't participate, but to think that in many of the men and ladies's predictions, two of the more popular choices didn't even podium! :shocked:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
i have the correct podium in dance (easy) but bombed at high speed all the other segments with the biggest failures in men and ladies (other than the first in ladies:laugh:).

same for me;\, in Ladies what's the most interesting I got 1st and 5th right, with a disaster right in between...In men, I cursed myself for lowering Yuzuru to 2nd and swapping Shoma and Javier between 3rd and 4th. Still - overestimated Nathan, underestimated Jin which hurt predictions the most. Generally I sucked this time around...

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Here are the Pairs results.

This round was not as high scoring as it could have been. Largely due to Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford only finishing seventh.

Of the 93 players who submitted predictions for Pairs, only 15 earned bonus points. And all of those 15 only earned them for getting the Podium correct. Nobody managed to get the Top 5 correct.

HOWEVER, special mention must go to Marius and psusanne, who were the only players to get the Top 4 correct. Although correctly putting Yu Xiaoyu and Zhang Hao into 4th did not earn them any extra bonus points, the normal points it earned them were enough to ensure that they each won a Gold Medal!

So, here are the podium positions:

GOLD with 160 points: Marius, psusanne.

SILVER with 150 points: Florencito, matmuh, rosacotton, Sackie, Weathergal.

BRONZE with 140 points: gnom, tinnychan.

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

I’ve got stuff to do this afternoon, so I’ll put the scores into the spreadsheet tomorrow morning.

CaroLiza_fan

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
So happy for this Gold!
As always, thanks CaroLiza for the scores :thank: