Bitter/sweet memories | Golden Skate

Bitter/sweet memories

lappo

Final Flight
What are your sweetest and bitterest moments related to FS (favourite skaters winning, losing, "being robbed", great and not so great programs, comebacks ecc..)?

mrrice

Record Breaker
What are your sweetest and bitterest moments related to FS (favourite skaters winning, losing, "being robbed", great and not so great programs, comebacks ecc..)?

Without a doubt...It was Michelle's Flip in SLC......Heart Breaking. The whole crowed gasped!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j5_gs7GgEM

For me personally....It was Maria Butyrskaya's 2000 Swan Lake LP at Worlds. After winning the qualifying round and the SP, she had a decent lead going into the free....:sad21:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGDF-qIeZrM

I didn't watch it before I posted it and I haven't seen it since the day it happened.

Last edited:

SkaterX

On the Ice
It's an obvious one...but when Yuna Kim didn't get a second Olympic gold medal.

jaylee

Medalist
Bittersweet, magical, emotional memory: Michelle Kwan skating to Fields of Gold at the 2002 Olympics gala.

Joannie Rochette: her expression after she completed her magnificent 2010 Olympics SP, full of grief for her mom's recent death.

The sadness of skaters such as Yukari Nakano, Ryan Bradley, Alissa Czisny, and many more, at not fulfilling their Olympic dreams.

Of course, there's a skater like Akiko Suzuki, who achieved her Olympic dreams after overcoming many challenges. Akiko crying after her 2010 Olympics FS is a beautiful memory.

Yu-Na Kim and her tears on the 2011 Worlds podium. I think she was very lost at this time, lacking the motivation to continue her career at that moment, but not yet ready to retire. What was worse than the loss was the thought that this could be the end of her career, because it still felt incomplete at the time. Thankfully it wasn't the ending, and while many fans may argue about the Sochi result, ending her career on the Olympic podium with a second Olympic medal, plus an additional well-deserved world title, was a much better way to conclude it than had she finished skating in 2011.

Also for Yu-Na: A very sweet moment was the moment in the Sochi gala finale when Yu-Na skated away from the other skaters and stood in front of the massive screen, which lit up displaying the Korean flag (and the Pyeongchang 2018 logo was displayed on the ice). https://youtu.be/5F_vCOy0ZTA?t=315 All of the other skaters--all of the champions, medalists, and notable fellow Olympians--pointed to her, since she was representing South Korea, which was hosting the 2018 Olympics. Symbolically, this meant a lot--Yu-Na was a pioneer for Korean figure skating, its face, and she carried the immense burden of being the only Korean skater at the time capable of becoming a champion from the moment she stepped onto the ice. She also also worked extremely hard to help her country win the hosting rights, and to help share the Olympic experience with additional Korean skaters. Really a lovely moment and I applaud the gala organizers for their respectful gesture in featuring Yu-Na. She got a moment in the spotlight recognizing everything she had done, and it was tasteful, subtle, and sweet.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Mao's lp in Vancouver Olympics when she made her first mistake and my heart completely sank when she made the second mistake in missing a whole jump. I was rooting so hard for her to beat Yuna. Usually I check results online before the competition airs so I know who wins, but I had a really hard time peeking. What can I say, I've never felt so heartbroken over a competition in my life. I still couldn't believe the results even months after it was all over, though deep down inside I knew the stars were all aligned that night for Yuna. I respect Yuna now and have grown to like her programs, but boy did I want Mao to beat her as she had always done when they were competing as juniors.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Bittersweet: that last group of men at US Nationals in 2014. Oh my god.

Joshua and the heartbreaking Schindler's List. Max and Lori Nichol's Lazy Carmen that he still made exciting. And then Riverdance, that wonderful Riverdance, leaving me in floods of tears of joy, which turned to tears of heartbreak only a few moments later when the camera cut to Max's broken but trying to hide it face. I was so happy for Jason, but so devastated for Max, and even now I have to cut off my rewatches of Riverdance before it gets to the kiss and cry.

NicoleJ96B

Rinkside
For me, undeniably Sochi 2014 for Virtue and Moir.

The Short Dance was just heartbreaking. Watching Scott celebrate like that, Tessa giddy with joy, I think it was clear to skating fans and casual viewers alike that the performance was something special. Everything was just perfect and their non-touch step sequence is just sublime. They should have broke the WR, not Davis and White. They had the better choreography and interpretation, and their twizzles were Level 4 when D/W were messy. I think in that moment they truly thought they could beat them. When the score came, my heart just broke.And so did theirs. That was it, even though D/W had the better free dance V/M still should have been on top with the gap in the short. I know for them Sochi was still an incredible moment, but it just broke my heart despite how proud I was as a fan.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
As someone said, Joannie Rochette in Vancouver, the courage to be able to skate in competition mode when her mother had just died :( she would not have been able to beat Yuna and Mao at their best but a well earned bronze.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Olympics in Sochi, it was heartbreaking for me......all disciplines except pairs and Carolina's bronze (but I still think it should have been silver). Mao's FP there probably was the most heartbreaking performance among all. :(

Warwick360

Medalist

It's still so hard for me to take it in. Thought I wouldn't be one of those who'd be thinking about it for so long when that controversy erupted. :palmf:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1998 Nagano Olympics - Todd missing the Olympic podium. I just couldn't enjoy the rest of the Olympic figure skating as much for the remainder of those Olympics. I felt much better for him a month later when he won the silver medal @ Worlds (& won the free skate), and @ the 1998 Goodwill Games (which he won). :biggrin:

Kurt not winning an Olympic medal of any color (1992, 1994), and his apology to Canada on TV during the Olympic coverage. :cry:

Sweet - Felicia Zhang & Nate Bartholomay making the Olympic Team in 2014. Ditto for Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig in 2010! :hap10:

Midori Ito's tearful joy after her 1988 Olympic free skate, the smile returning to her face in her 1992 Olympic free skate. :love:

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As for being robbed when I was angry:

Anissina / Peizerat two times - in 1999 when they lost Worlds title to Krylova / Ovsiannikov and in 2001 to Fusar-Poli / Margaglio.
Drobiazko / Vanagas - career full of ''wuzzrobbed'' moments - especially Olympics & Worlds in 2002.

bittersweet memories:
Michelle Kwan - SLC ''Fields of Gold'' exhibition
Mao Asada - Sochi LP
Joannie Rochette - Vancouver SP (and Bronze medal in those circumstances)

sweetest:
Alexei Yagudin - Gold Medal in SLC.
Shen / Zhao - Gold Medal in Vancouver.

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia

This was a very confusing moment for me. I had liked Sotnikova for a while and the same with Yuna, but I never expected that the final duel would be down to them. I was happy for Sotnikova, but at the same time sad for Kim, I don´t think I know how I feel about this to this day. :think:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle in SLC, Mao in Sochi, Mirai being left off the Olympic team in 2014.

ETA: All bitter.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
for me, this season the bitter, difficult moments are those when great competitors, skaters are struggling with injuries and have to resign from competitions - Adam, Satoko are the examples I'm sad the most for as I am a fan of their attitudes (so very different) and poise for competing, and they have great programs this season. It is such a shame not to see them in action...

Another bitterness I have this season is about so much struggle regarding Mao, my sentimental favourite. I still see a hunger for competition, a poise to prove herself, but her body, health state are not capable of cooperating properly with her mindset which is heartbreaking. She's still having that timeless quality and polish about her overall skating which I love to watch in action, so I hope for a reborn next season.

'Sweet' moments of this season are comebacks to competition by Tessa and Scott and Carolina - I was never aware how I missed this kind of complex maturity about skating until I saw it again. Sweet moment is also for me a big raise of Maia and Alex, joy of skating expressed by Mai Mihara, so much depth, poise and hunger in US Men's field to appreciate, return to competition of Sui/Han and Alexa and Chris - so good to have them back!!! Very sweet moment was bronze medal at Europeans for Vanessa and Morgan - after all those 'bitter' moments they pulled together something amazing to be remembered. Same should go to Aliona and Bruno - despite 'bitterness' of her injury, missing GPF they really raised to the occasion at Europeans, one big emotion was their FS.

The ultimate 'bitter/sweet' moment in figure skating for me would be probably Mao Sochi Olympics experience as a whole...I was utterly devastated after her SP, not only because what happen on ice, but for her as a person, person who had this dream to become gold Olympic medallist there, for someone with such experience, power, poise for the sport struggling that much. I hurt for her so much as I saw this bold disappointment in her expression, sadness that the dream is over, this 'bitterness' so loud about this whole dream/reality clash. And then this epitome of 'bittersweet' moment came in FS when she defied all negativity, all doubts, pressure, concerns, hesitation and produced one of the greatest skates/performances ever witnessed (at least for me) - and I don't mean technique, levels, GOEs, I mean pure power of skating and force to express all those emotions inside skater which I felt too at that time. She skated from the bottom of her heart, regardless of her placement, regardless of people's prejudices, critics and negativity. There was her and the music, both connected by movement, expression, speed and spirit carried by Mao. She poured all her anguish, disappointment and anger in that skate. And it was wonderful to see all those emotions letting go after she finished. It was a true victory of spirit over body.

nguyhm

On the Ice
The most recently heartbreak for me was Mao's LP in Sochi - I cheered and cried before she took the last bow. I would also like to add Michelle in Nagano - heartbroken and shocked.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
1. Michelle's Fields of Gold Exhibition: it was so perfect and bittersweet.

2. Mao's Sochi LP: still one of the most beautiful programs I have ever seen.

3. Yuna in Sochi: I still feel so sad for her, skating like she did in an arena where the crowd was against her (this is not to knock the Russian crowd, of course they wanted a Russian champion) and being able to skate like she did was incredible. Her Send in the Clowns SP is so underrated.

4. Joannie in Vancouver: She showed so much personal strength, it was moving to see. There was something inside her that couldn't be broken.

Last edited: