Skaters coached by parents | Golden Skate

Skaters coached by parents

lappo

Final Flight
I know there are some skaters coached by parents or with one or both parents heavily involved in the team and decisions (Polina E., Misha Ge and Andrew T. come to mind, along with Kwan and her father after her split with Frank C. going to the Olympics...but there will be many others for sure). The positive thing about this is the undivided attention of your coach, that can obviously help you shine at the highest levels (think for comparison to Nastia Liukin and her dad); however, maybe this can also mean no real break from job and even more pressure on the skater to meet the coach/parent expectations. So, going back, what's the rate of success of skater/parent team? Have some of them made comment on this arrangement?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ashley Cain and her partner are coached by her father, Peter Cain

Daniel Samohin's coach is his father

Maxim Naumov, one of the US Novice Champion's coaches is his father, former pair WC Vadim Naumov

There would be many more skaters trained under their parents.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Have some of them made comment on this arrangement?

Ashley Cain and her partner are coached by her father, Peter Cain ...

More about the Cain family:

Ashley has been coached by her mother Darlene Cain and her father Peter Cain.

Both parents are listed as coaches on Cain/LeDuc's IN bio. [ETA: And on Ashley's old bio as a singles skater.]  

When Darlene Cain and Peter Cain recently were interviewed on IN's Ice Talk podcast, they said (I'm paraphrasing) that when Ashley was getting started a skater, they as parents were not thinking that they would be her coaches.  But Ashley did not want to go to anyone else.   It always was Ashley's own preference for them to coach her.​

Recent comments from Torgashev about being coached by his parents:

FSO: Your mom (Ilona Melnichenko) and dad (Artem Torgashev) are your coaches. How is it having them as your coaches and what type of coaches are they?
AT: They’re tough. We respect each other’s space off the ice and work hard on the ice. I think that they are the best fit for me.

[Q] You are coached by both your parents, is it harder because you see them at home all the time? Or are they very good about keeping it at the rink?
[A] Of course there are going to be some complications between splitting home and training, but I think that we all do a great job of setting boundaries for each other.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan Kerry was coached for quite a while by his mother, Olympic ice dancer Monica MacDonald. She was with him at the boards at Australian Nationals this year.

euroskate

Final Flight
the helgeson sister used to be coached by their mum till Victoria quit and joshu moved to CAN

euroskate

Final Flight
from worlds entries
matteo rizzo coached by his father Walter rizzo, but taking also from other coaches

alexander majorov and his brother are coached by their father

anastasia galystian is coached by her mother

Nicole raijocova is partly coached by her father

alexander sinicin is Party coached by his father

gkelly

Record Breaker
The positive thing about this is the undivided attention of your coach,

They may have the coach/parent's undivided attention at home (assuming no siblings), but at the rink a parent who coaches for a living will have other students. They'll probably be generally aware of what their kid is up to while they're coaching paying students, which might mean some "divided" attention for the other students, but they need to give most of their attention to the student who is paying during those students' lessons.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Graham Newberry is coached by his father, Christian Newberry, who used to be the British national champion, as his son is now. His other son Jack also competed for a time.

lappo

Final Flight
They may have the coach/parent's undivided attention at home (assuming no siblings), but at the rink a parent who coaches for a living will have other students. They'll probably be generally aware of what their kid is up to while they're coaching paying students, which might mean some "divided" attention for the other students, but they need to give most of their attention to the student who is paying during those students' lessons.

Good point! :agree:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Tursynbaeva skates at a shopping mall ice rink (or recently, with Tutberidze's team) in Moscow if she has visa problems in Canada, and during this time she trains with her mother. She is not a coach, but she still helps a lot to Elizabet. Sometimes we can also see her in the kiss & cry with her daughter.

desertskates

Medalist
Well I would think the biggest advantage would be financial!

I have to think that would be the only thing that would be the advantage :laugh: I love my parents, but I couldn't imagine having them around to critique everything about my day's training AND everything I do at home. If I had been en elite teen athlete, that is.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to think that would be the only thing that would be the advantage :laugh: I love my parents, but I couldn't imagine having them around to critique everything about my day's training AND everything I do at home. If I had been en elite teen athlete, that is.

Completely true!!! I didn't even like it when my Dad came to watch my performances/competitions. He drove me crazy. He also drove my agent crazy. My agent used to BEG my mom not to bring him to our meetings...As a vocalist, you're not supposed to eat dairy when you have to sing the same day. It a mucus thing....However, I liked to eat a bagel and cream cheese because it helped me feel full during the day and kept my stomach from rumbling. My dad and I used to argue about it on the way to my auditions. It was horrible...:drama:

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
I agree that having to deal with your parents at home and at work can be quite demanding (that's why I have left home myself at a very young age). And sure, financial reasons must be the main point for skaters living in places with no state-funded programs.
However, from the interviews that have been posted by ice coverage (thanks :agree:), it seems that these team know how to draw a line between professional and family life, which is good.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Liza Kulik is coached by both her parents Ilia Kulik and Ekaterina Gordeeva.