Political programs in figure skating | Golden Skate

Political programs in figure skating

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I've basically had nothing but politics on my mind lately and with the world championships coming up, I've been frequently muddling both things together for whatever reason and even had them popping up in my dreams. :drama:

Anyway, I was curious to ask you all: what are some figure skating programs you like (or dislike) that are either inherently political statements or simply bring awareness to a political issue?

A favorite of mine is the Duchesnay's first "Missing" free dance which centered around the repression and forced disappearances of many citizens living in several South American military dictatorships during the 70s and 80s (another example of the many horrifying dictatorships can be found here). Choreographed by Christopher Dean and based on a show program he did with Jayne, the program uses incredibly powerful and haunting Chilean folk music featuring some of the most iconic instruments of the Andes like the pan flute. The title of this program comes from a film by the same name that focuses on Pinochet's Chile. The music and choreography starts off slowly and takes the audience from a place of sadness and sorrow towards an aggressive and desperate state of being as if they're on the run or looking for somebody... and finally ending in a pose that almost represents freedom or closure. The Duchesnay's garnered 5 perfect 6.0s in artistic impression and won the free dance at the 1990 World Championships. It's a pretty chilling performance and one of my all-time favorite programs in the sport.

Another program is Katarina Witt's free skate from the Lillehammer Olympics when professionals were allowed to return to amateur competition. Right in the midst of the Siege of Sarajevo, the city that hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics where she won her first Olympic title, Witt paid tribute to the suffering people in the capital whose lives had become a living nightmare. Skating to a rendition of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" that featured her own voice humming at the beginning, Witt closed out perhaps the most notorious figure skating competition in history with an extremely powerful program with jumping mistakes that really did not end up affecting the emotional impact it had on people around the world.

Last, an obvious choice when it comes to making political statements is Anissina & Peizarat's free dance named "Liberty" at the 2002 Olympics. Skating to "Liberta'' by Jean-Claude Petit with spliced-in excerpts of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s historic "I Have a Dream" speech, Marina represented freedom while Gwendal wearing a costume covered in ropes represented humanity oppressed. The program reflects the concept of American freedom and the struggles to acquire it. This free dance starts with Marina posing as the Statue of Liberty while Gwendal is laying at her feet because he is being held down as a prisoner of numerous bonds; it finally ends with both skaters posing as the Statue of Liberty because the struggle and search for freedom was successful and Gwendal has been liberated. Some people thought the program was gaudy and inappropriate especially since only a few months had passed since September 11th. Despite this minor drama, they ended up winning the Olympic title in a very close 5-4 split over the Russians, Lobacheva & Averbukh.

Any other thoughts on these programs? Or do you have any examples you're interested in talking about?

Do you think it's appropriate to create programs that make political statements in figure skating? Or is it something that skaters should strive to avoid?

Barb

Record Breaker
A favorite of mine is the Duchesnay's first "Missing" free dance which centered around the repression and forced disappearances of many citizens living in several South American military dictatorships during the 70s and 80s (another example of the many horrifying dictatorships can be found here). Choreographed by Christopher Dean and based on a show program he did with Jayne, the program uses incredibly powerful and haunting Chilean folk music featuring some of the most iconic instruments of the Andes like the pan flute. The title of this program comes from a film by the same name that focuses on Pinochet's Chile. The music and choreography starts off slowly and takes the audience from a place of sadness and sorrow towards an aggressive and desperate state of being as if they're on the run or looking for somebody... and finally ending in a pose that almost represents freedom or closure. The Duchesnay's garnered 5 perfect 6.0s in artistic impression and won the free dance at the 1990 World Championships. It's a pretty chilling performance and one of my all-time favorite programs in the sport.

I had no idea :eek:, thanks.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I think if it's done well it can be appropriate. My only wish is that Evgenia's olympic programs do not include George W. Bush clips.

Tyranid

Final Flight
I've had two gala ideas for quite some time.

1. Boney M's Rasputin for Elena Radionova.

2. Dschinghis Khan's Moskau for Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Historic reference here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokhtamysh

Perhaps Tokhtamysh and Rasputin are not as trendy these days in terms of political symbolism... However! RosComNadzor, the Russian "Censorship" Ministry, DID recently edit the Russian Wikipedia page on Tokhtamysh Khan, so we never know! :)

As for existing programs, Lipnitskaia's holocaust tribute and Medvedevas 9/11 not-tribute come to mind among recent work.

Anyway, I was curious to ask you all: what are some figure skating programs you like (or dislike) that are either inherently political statements or simply bring awareness to a political issue?

Political programs are mostly fine. However, Tatiana Navka's Ice Age "Life is Beautiful" holocaust program caused a lot of outrage. I share the sentiment of the outraged as I believe the program glorified suffering. Remember that Navka is the wife of Putin's press-secretary.

More here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tatiana-navka-putin-spokesman-wife-outrage-holocaust-skating-routine/

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Context is everything.

For example, Katarina Witt went into the 1994 Olympics knowing she had no chance of winning, and put together this moving LP anyway. That was, to a certain extent, very personal to her. It felt so, so real.

OTOH, while I think A/P's FD in 2002 was extremely well done, it felt a little exploitative of the context in which they were skating, in 2002 in the US, less than a year after 9/11. It may have felt more genuine if they were American, though of course 9/11 was very affecting for people outside of the US as well.

I don't know much about the Duchesnays program, but I like the fact that they (along with Witt) created a program about an issue that is not extremely well known. Now THAT is a statement - making a political statement to draw attention to an issue that not enough people know or care about. If you make a political program about an issue that a ton of people already know and care about, then are you really doing anything that important?

I don't see Schindler's List or Holocaust programs as political. The only statement is really "Holocaust = bad," which is not political or controversial or new to the vast majority of society.

I don't even see Evgenia's program as that political. Terrorism = scary. We know. Her program is much more about the emotional impact of potentially losing a loved one in the midst of chaos and terror - and it could have accomplished that without the sound effects or Dubya voiceovers. Including such sounds and voices is controversial, but moreso due to taste rather than politics.

I don't mind seeing political programs, as long as they stay away from stereotypes and aren't exploitative of specific contexts and situations. Bringing attention to a situation that no one cares about is a great, important thing. At the same time, there are certain political issues that are so personal and so divisive that people should (and always have) stay away from them.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

This is a personal favorite of mine as well. It was actually the very *first* ID routine I ever remembered watching. Some years back, YT recommended it to me following a documentary I watched. :)

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Interesting thread. It reminds me of how politics and social events influence what happens on the ice. For example, when some music and other cultural influences aren't allowed in a certain part of the world, you see that in their skaters. Figure skating becomes more than sport and art on the ice, when you look at it that way, even unintentionally some sort of social commentary.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think if it's done well it can be appropriate. My only wish is that Evgenia's olympic programs do not include George W. Bush clips.

Maybe Averbukh will prepare a Donald Trump program for someone next...:slink:

I've had two gala ideas for quite some time.

1. Boney M's Rasputin for Elena Radionova.

2. Dschinghis Khan's Moskau for Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Historic reference here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokhtamysh

I have often wondered why nobody uses Boney M for a gala program. Can't say I would personally associate those songs with those particular skaters, but definitely someone should skate to Rasputin or Ma Baker. Well, maybe somebody already did and it's just been a long time.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not much into programs that make statements.

If the skaters feel they MUST, then the program should be able to stand on its own... and Missing did that.

I HATE programs that must be accompanied by an Abstract to be read by the announcer, telling us what he represents... what she represents... how certain moves within the program are intended to convey joy or fear or anger or love...

I shouldn't need a crib sheet to experience the emotion and feeling of the program, because then the skater(s) have failed.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had no idea :eek:, thanks.

And that is EXACTLY why it was such an excellent program.

You were able to enjoy the program without the backstory.

Not to say that skaters shouldn't have inspirations, but, and I am repeating myself, the skating must stand on its own.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Political programs are mostly fine. However, Tatiana Navka's Ice Age "Life is Beautiful" holocaust program caused a lot of outrage. I share the sentiment of the outraged as I believe the program glorified suffering. Remember that Navka is the wife of Putin's press-secretary.

More here: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tatiana-navka-putin-spokesman-wife-outrage-holocaust-skating-routine/

I forgot about that one; it was actually front page news on CNN for a couple of hours! I think the outrage was due to 2 things: the glorification of suffering as you say but also because she's a high profile personality as someone married to one of Putin's buddies. I believe Ilinykh & Katsalapov did a Schindler's List program with Elena dressed as a prisoner when they were juniors and no one cared about that.

I don't know much about the Duchesnays program, but I like the fact that they (along with Witt) created a program about an issue that is not extremely well known. Now THAT is a statement - making a political statement to draw attention to an issue that not enough people know or care about. If you make a political program about an issue that a ton of people already know and care about, then are you really doing anything that important?

Good point. It's funny because after Witt there were a couple of programs that were also created as tributes to Sarajevo: one instance was Grishuk & Platov's Memorial, but the story behind that program changed around a lot that season between Sarajevo and a tribute to people in figure skating and their family members who have died.

It'd be interesting to see a current skater do a political routine that shines a light on an issue that is not covered well in mainstream media. But we all know that will never happen because in today's world athletes tend to stray from sending any sort of political message (even if it's something good) because it could hurt sponsors.

Interesting thread. It reminds me of how politics and social events influence what happens on the ice. For example, when some music and other cultural influences aren't allowed in a certain part of the world, you see that in their skaters. Figure skating becomes more than sport and art on the ice, when you look at it that way, even unintentionally some sort of social commentary.

Now that you mention it, it's pretty fascinating to recall programs in that way! I remember thinking Anna Pogorilaya's Rise Like a Phoenix exhibition being kind of a edgy because it's sung by a drag queen and even featured a cross dressing transition knowing that just the year before, Russia passed an anti-gay propaganda law.

I'm not much into programs that make statements.

If the skaters feel they MUST, then the program should be able to stand on its own... and Missing did that.

I HATE programs that must be accompanied by an Abstract to be read by the announcer, telling us what he represents... what she represents... how certain moves within the program are intended to convey joy or fear or anger or love...

I shouldn't need a crib sheet to experience the emotion and feeling of the program, because then the skater(s) have failed.

I pretty much agree. I like political programs, but it should be able to be enjoyed if you don't know what it's about. IMO, a successful program that isn't telling a story using music from a film, play, ballet, etc. is one in which the skater/choreographer makes the audience feel a specific emotion they aimed for not through specific moves but the program as a whole. It wasn't until after I researched "Missing" that I knew the story behind it, but watching the program I felt their emotions through the choreography and musical changes. You're able to enjoy it regardless if you don't know anything about them.

This pet peeve of yours is one of my biggest annoyances with NCAA gymnastics floor routines because story lines are a big thing for them. Before they debut their floors, some announce their themes that this year range from the story of a Syrian refugee to someone portraying an orphan who returns to her birth mother to another who is playing a French maid. When you finally end up seeing their floor routines you think "What? I didn't get any of that." Program fail. I've definitely gotten that feeling in figure skating too though.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Lobacheva / Averbukh Free Dance in Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 aimed to be a tribute to 9/11 WTC attack & victims.

I thought the program was mah & contrived but that final pose with Irina plummeting while being wrapped around him was memorable and one of my favourites (creative, symbolic and interesting to look at). Fitting end to this program.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
Excellent points by everybody :agree:
Even though, as Andromache said, Holocaust themed programs are not really political, I would like to add Katarina Witt's "Schindler's List". I studied German language and literature for some years at school and the sense of Schuld (guilt) it something that runs deeply not only in the hearts of people but also in several cultural aspects...the fact that a German skater chose that program makes it more poignant and authentic. Same for Katarina's Sarajevo themed program, I always got the impression that the program was something that she cared about and not chosen to exploit emotions and rack up points.
Cannot say that for other programs that, IMO, fail to do so.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Context and timing are key, agreed. In today's climate, having the ability to take a political theme and have it work over such an extended season, in potentially so many different World geographies (in contrast to decades ago, when potentially skaters could focus on the impact a program would make on a specific audience/event like Worlds) is really quite tough.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While not a political program, Weaver and Poje's Addiction program was another one with a message.

Unlike Missing, Addiction failed in that I found the program to be awful, with or without the backstory.

They were so much better when they simply "danced on ice" to good music.

Addiction was when I wrote them off as a team I cared about.

They'd been on thin ice with me for a while. This was the nail in the coffin.

There. That ought to liven up the thread.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've basically had nothing but politics on my mind lately and with the world championships coming up, I've been frequently muddling both things together for whatever reason and even had them popping up in my dreams. :drama:

Another program is Katarina Witt's free skate from the Lillehammer Olympics when professionals were allowed to return to amateur competition. Right in the midst of the Siege of Sarajevo, the city that hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics where she won her first Olympic title, Witt paid tribute to the suffering people in the capital whose lives had become a living nightmare. Skating to a rendition of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" that featured her own voice humming at the beginning, Witt closed out perhaps the most notorious figure skating competition in history with an extremely powerful program with jumping mistakes that really did not end up affecting the emotional impact it had on people around the world.

Last, an obvious choice when it comes to making political statements is Anissina & Peizarat's free dance named "Liberty" at the 2002 Olympics. Skating to "Liberta'' by Jean-Claude Petit with spliced-in excerpts of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s historic "I Have a Dream" speech, Marina represented freedom while Gwendal wearing a costume covered in ropes represented humanity oppressed. The program reflects the concept of American freedom and the struggles to acquire it. This free dance starts with Marina posing as the Statue of Liberty while Gwendal is laying at her feet because he is being held down as a prisoner of numerous bonds; it finally ends with both skaters posing as the Statue of Liberty because the struggle and search for freedom was successful and Gwendal has been liberated. Some people thought the program was gaudy and inappropriate especially since only a few months had passed since September 11th. Despite this minor drama, they ended up winning the Olympic title in a very close 5-4 split over the Russians, Lobacheva & Averbukh.

Any other thoughts on these programs? Or do you have any examples you're interested in talking about?

Do you think it's appropriate to create programs that make political statements in figure skating? Or is it something that skaters should strive to avoid?

Referring to Pinochet's Chile:
Not a skating program but a haunting song by Pete Seeger and the Weaver's sung at the beginning of their concert at Carnegie Hall... "A Woman Has Disappeared in Chile..."
Gives me chills even today
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxKkVVtpLY

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who watched and liked the "Missing" program when the Duchesnays were actually skating, I feel the need to point out that it was not all *that* bold a political statement (which has nothing to do with the bold avant-garde skating style of the Duchesnays).

"Missing" was a big Hollywood movie. Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek, big stars at the time, go looking for their son, who is disappeared in Chile. It was nominated for best picture (back when you didn't have 85 best picture nominees), best actor and best actress. Maybe not everyone in the US of A was completely familiar with the movie or the story behind it, but it was not some obscure indy flick. And I believe Christopher said the program was inspired by the movie.

Just a thought.....