Sotnikova wants to come back! | Golden Skate

Sotnikova wants to come back!

venx

Match Penalty
Ilya Averbukh, working with Adelina on ice shows, said in his latest interview reigning Olympic champion intends to come back to sport for real. Google translation:

- Recently you are working closely with Adeline Sotnikova. She participates in your ice projects. Maybe you can open the veil of secrecy: will we see it again at major competitions?

- Yes, indeed, we now work a lot with Adeline. She performed in the television project "Ice Age", she played in my play "The Nutcracker". Now she will have a show. And I, of course, often asked her if she would return to the big sport or not.

And that's what Adeline recently told me: "Now I will untie all the things and start preparing for the next season." I want to return to the sport for real. "It's not just unfounded to announce the return, but return."

Adeline wants to confirm the title of the Olympic champion, and the athlete plans to fight for getting into the Olympics in South Korea. Adeline intends to participate in the Russian championship, which will determine who will go to the Games of 2018.
One part of me thinks: "no way girl :rolleye:", the other: "go for it!!! :yahoo:"

Last edited:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It's going to be interesting next season at the Russian Nationals...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Adeline intends to participate in the Russian championship, which will determine who will go to the Games of 2018.

Oh, really? For what merit? Deserve this at the stages of the Cup of Russia. it's not fair the getting Wildcard just because you won OG three years ago. Some talented girls still could't make it to get to Russian top 18, and she will get just because Fed says it. :disapp:

andromache

Record Breaker
I'd die of happiness to see her back, but I doubt it'll happen. Maybe she will compete like she did in 2015, under-trained, get a medal at Rostelecom.

She's so artistically and skating-skills-wise superior to anyone competing now other than Mao and Carolina that she would feel like a breath of fresh air if she did come back in true competitive shape. But it is difficult. Then again, if Carolina can, then someone as young as Adelina can do it, too. But even in true Olympic-ready shape I wonder how her consistency would be.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I was one of those who wasn't very happy when she won gold in Sochi, but when I saw her at the Russian test event early this season, I was in love with her carriage and artistry. I'll be rooting for her comeback, unless I don't like her actual programs. If she does end up making the Olympic team, I think it's really brave of her to want to compete for gold in Pyeongchang considering the circumstances.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The Fed will let her participate in the Nats but returning during the Olympic season, when the Russian ladies section is already packed and will get even more so next season with Zagi, Polina and others switching seems completely futile.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'd die of happiness to see her back, but I doubt it'll happen. Maybe she will compete like she did in 2015, under-trained, get a medal at Rostelecom.

She's so artistically and skating-skills-wise superior to anyone competing now other than Mao and Carolina that she would feel like a breath of fresh air if she did come back in true competitive shape. But it is difficult. Then again, if Carolina can, then someone as young as Adelina can do it, too. But even in true Olympic-ready shape I wonder how her consistency would be.

I see what you did here, you dismissed our beloved Pogo. :noshake: :laugh: I agree though that Adelina is a diva too and is arguably the best in certain aspects, it would be admirable to see her proving that she's not a fluke and shutting up the haters. Either way if she said than she will try her best. What can pan out of it - only time will tell. I predict though Sasha Cohen 2010 fiasco for her.

What can she do to get Grand Prix assignment / s that she would like to get as I suspect? :scratch2:

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I hope she does! I really enjoy her skating, and it'd be nice to see her back in competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympics won't be in Sochi---I can just imagine the reception if she makes the Olympic team :hopelessness:

andromache

Record Breaker
I see what you did here, you dismissed our beloved Pogo. :noshake: :laugh:

What can she do to get Grand Prix assignment / s that she would like to get as I suspect?

Anna is on her way, but her SS and projection are still not quite at the highest level. But she's young! She'll get there!

I doubt that she wants to do an entire GP season - plenty of comeback skaters skip it (Yuna, Carolina, etc.), and it would be bad strategy to do it unless she'll be at 100% for her events. I would be very surprised if she did any event other than Russian GP.

I wish very much that she skated for a country where she wouldn't face such tough competition for a spot; it must be difficult to stay motivated, knowing that there's a good chance that even if you put in 200% of your best effort, work so hard, and be the best you've ever been, and still have that not be good enough.

Maybe she should change country? ;)

ETA: But I would still expect she may not compete or try at all. Averbukh could very well be exaggerating what she said. He likes to make a stir.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I have always loved Adelina. Even through all of the Sochi controversy I was happy for her, not b/c she won but b/c she fought back against getting left out of the team event and truly delivered two great performances.

I would love to see her come back for real. I've always loved her look on the ice and her time away from the sport has improved her performance quality (which was always good to begin with) as well as her presence on the ice. I do think it will be a tough road if she intends to make the cut for Pyeongchang. The level of skating in Russia is exponentially tougher than was back in 2013-2014 and there's waaaay more competition than there was going into Sochi. Back then the only people who were actually competitive were Adelina, Julia and Elena, and Elena wasn't even age eligible. The field is so much deeper now and while Adelina will probably have a solid PCS cushion, I doubt it if will be enough to help her if she can't produce the jumps which has always been her issue. Her content isn't as difficult and she's prone to errors which will make it tough for her to secure a top 3 spot.

I'd love to see her comeback for a full season regardless of where she places. I'm doubtful she can get on the Olympic team but you never know. If by some chance she made it on the team, I wonder what kind of reception she would receive in Pyeongchang...I don't doubt Yuna fans are still super-pissed about the results in Sochi. :ddevil:

venx

Match Penalty
Last three years this girl has been constantly getting on my nerves - all the talk, interviews, promises, statements from her, her team, dodging starts, pulling back, weird comments, etc., but I'd forget it in a blink of an eye, if she came back in good shape with all her sass, dance moves and looks. Can't help it, she is fantastic! :love::drama:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hope she does it! When she was a junior I was a tuktamysheva fan and in seniors she had a terrible problem with triple flips but she had that Aguilera program that while not a favorite was the first time I thought she stood out with personality. then after that she had the signature spins and big jumps but was so unreliable with the flips! At olympics she was amazing 100%

sarama

Medalist
If she really goes for it, she will get all my praise. All things considered it would be very very gutsy.

Tutto

Record Breaker
The key words in this interview are 'Adelina would like to defend her title'. As of course any other Olympic champion... Is it likely to happen - i don't think so. Regardless of her form I don't think the Rus Fed will be overjoyed to send Adelina to Korea in presence of so many other talented ladies with no controversy attached to them.
If she is really planning a comeback she should do it quietly without announcements which to be honest don't evoke anything but annoyance at this stage. She will soon rival Plushenko in this regard.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I hope to see her in the Olympics just for the sake of seeing the crowd reaction. Haha

It's gonna be hurt... Considering that she still gets negative comments from South Koreans fans in her instagram. Like a "thief", "you stole the gold medal" etc. :laugh2:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's gonna be hurt... Considering that she still gets negative comments from South Koreans fans in her instagram. Like a "thief", "you stole the gold medal" etc. :laugh2:

That would be the mildest ones :slink: Don't bother checking comments section below Sochi videos on youtube.