Expressive upper body/arms | Golden Skate

Expressive upper body/arms

lappo

Final Flight
Who are the most expressive and refined skater (not named O. Baiul) when it comes to the use of the upper body and arms?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who are the most expressive and refined skater (not named O. Baiul) when it comes to the use of the upper body and arms?

Anastasiia Gubanova!! Just watch her Swan program. It's amazing to me that a junior has such control and feel with her arms and upper body momentum into and out of elements.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
Anastasiia Gubanova!! Just watch her Swan program. It's amazing to me that a junior has such control and feel with her arms and upper body momentum into and out of elements.

I agree with you, I enjoy Anastasia very much and I find her upper body movements more refined than even some senior ladies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to go soon so I can't post examples but, for the Men......It's Patrick Chan. It has been Patrick for a decade now. Until he retires.....It's Patrick Chan! :bow:

AppleEmperor

On the Ice
I thought Takahashi was really great :agree:
And Machida's upper body posture was really beautiful <3

lappo

Final Flight
Another one who has nice upper body and arms movements is Giada Russo, IMO. Sometimes a bit rushed but she is one of the few who doesn't seem to swing her arms left and right "just because".

Barb

Record Breaker
Easy

Daisuke T. THE BEST :love:

Satoko M.
Sasha Cohen
Mao Asada
Maia Shibutani
Tessa Virtue
Gabriella P. (Only arms)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, Tatsuki Machida, Sasha Cohen, Lu Chen, Michelle Kwan, and Yu Na Kim are all skaters I admire for their use of arm movements and upper body expression.

Shoma and Marin are two younger skaters who have very elegant arm movements, too.

happylife

On the Ice
I couldn't agree more :agree: :agree: :agree:.
I have to go soon so I can't post examples but, for the Men......It's Patrick Chan. It has been Patrick for a decade now. Until he retires.....It's Patrick Chan! :bow:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Jason Brown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRznue2sI80

Adding his SP performance from 2013 TEB because I find his arm upper body expression sensational and very balanced with leg moves extensions... Just gorgeous!!!:love:

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Chan for sure. Every gesture and little movement is full of purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lady_bee

Medalist
Akiko Suzuki:luv17:.
Choreographer Kenji Miyamoto said that he's never choreographed Akiko's arm movement whenever he worked for her.
He's just let her move by herself, because she knows how to use her upper body.