Ticket sales | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ticket sales

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am thinking about where to stay. The 3 major hotels within walking distance of the arena are either too expensive for me or are not taking reservations at this time. I really want to secure a reservation asap, and think that there must be pleasant areas with hotels closer to the city center on the M2, but I have no idea which areas are safe, better for quick meals, which areas to avoid, etc., and my guide books don't have this info. Any information about the general areas upstream (so to speak) from Assago, feasibility of using the M2 (especially later at night for a single older woman), even hotel recommendations or what to avoid, I would be very thankful to learn!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I have booked a good and affordable apartment at walking distance from Porta Genova FS metro station, i.e. Navigli area.
I see no reason to pay ridiculous amounts of money to stay next to the skating rink, as long as I have access to the metro it'll be fine (Helsinki was perfectly doable with an apartment near the main train station, too). Metro goes directly to both the Assago forum and Milan city center. :)

fra

Rinkside
but I have no idea which areas are safe, better for quick meals, which areas to avoid, etc., and my guide books don't have this info. Any information about the general areas upstream (so to speak) from Assago, feasibility of using the M2 (especially later at night for a single older woman), even hotel recommendations or what to avoid!
I've only been in Milan for one-day trips so I don't really have an hotel to recommend but I think that as long as you stay in the Navigli-City centre-Brera area you can find a place not too expensive (even if in the same area there are lots of veeery expensive hotels) 'cause it's the most turistic part. There you can also find a lot of restaurants and take-aways if you want to get your dinner before heading to the competitions (I think I'm going to do it because restaurants usually close at around 10-11pm).
As far as I know the whole city centre area is not too "dangerous" and it's quite crowded in the night too: something at a walking distance from a metro station will be good. As a general rule in Italy, maybe avoid only a hotel too near the Central Train Station (Milano Centrale FS).
My suggestion anyway is to use the metro line which is one of the best in Italy (this is the web site https://www.atm.it/en/Pages/default.aspx if you need it) and not to waste too much money for a hotel near the rink, also because the Assago area is quite far from the centre and there aren't many restaurant and other facilities. There is also a night service for M1-M2 lines starting from 0.30am but there are no trains from the mediolanum forum stop so the last train is around 0.20am (for now, at least: maybe they're going to extend the schedule for the event...) which is good enough for us anyway I think. I wouldn't be too worried about the metro because I think a lot of people are going to get it when the competions are over so we won't be alone :)
Btw I'm going to find more infos from friends living and studying there.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have booked a good and affordable apartment at walking distance from Porta Genova FS metro station, i.e. Navigli area.
I see no reason to pay ridiculous amounts of money to stay next to the skating rink, as long as I have access to the metro it'll be fine (Helsinki was perfectly doable with an apartment near the main train station, too). Metro goes directly to both the Assago forum and Milan city center. :)

Thank you, Winnie, this is encouraging! I feel much more confidence now in my plans, and I have a good starting point for beginning the search. Thank you for replying. And oh my goodness, you must have been so happy to have been in Helsinki!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Thank you, Winnie, this is encouraging! I feel much more confidence now in my plans, and I have a good starting point for beginning the search. Thank you for replying. And oh my goodness, you must have been so happy to have been in Helsinki!
You're welcome. I loved the two GPFs in Barcelona, but Worlds in Helsinki was the experience of a lifetime.
I'll be honest, I have my doubts about the Italian event, but... It's Milano. I can always hop in the metro and skip a practice session and go shopping instead. I haven't been to Milan in... I think 22 years, and I would love to see it again!

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've only been in Milan for one-day trips so I don't really have an hotel to recommend but I think that as long as you stay in the Navigli-City centre-Brera area you can find a place not too expensive (even if in the same area there are lots of veeery expensive hotels) 'cause it's the most turistic part. There you can also find a lot of restaurants and take-aways if you want to get your dinner before heading to the competitions (I think I'm going to do it because restaurants usually close at around 10-11pm).
As far as I know the whole city centre area is not too "dangerous" and it's quite crowded in the night too: something at a walking distance from a metro station will be good. As a general rule in Italy, maybe avoid only a hotel too near the Central Train Station (Milano Centrale FS).
My suggestion anyway is to use the metro line which is one of the best in Italy (this is the web site https://www.atm.it/en/Pages/default.aspx if you need it) and not to waste too much money for a hotel near the rink, also because the Assago area is quite far from the centre and there aren't many restaurant and other facilities. There is also a night service for M1-M2 lines starting from 0.30am but there are no trains from the mediolanum forum stop so the last train is around 0.20am (for now, at least: maybe they're going to extend the schedule for the event...) which is good enough for us anyway I think. I wouldn't be too worried about the metro because I think a lot of people are going to get it when the competions are over so we won't be alone :)
Btw I'm going to find more infos from friends living and studying there.

Fra, thank you! This is all so good to hear! And I'm immediately enjoying the metro link which is fun, easy to use, and will be invaluable for planning and getting a sense of time and distance in the city. Between the metro & the trains (which I love, for seeing more) my transportation worries are cancelled. Staying in an older part of Milan is what I'd really hoped to do, and what you and Winnie have written makes it all feel very doable and even easy. I'm off to consult guidebooks & maps, keeping a hopeful weather eye out for tickets. Thank you so much for taking the time to write!

fra

Rinkside
Fra, thank you! This is all so good to hear! And I'm immediately enjoying the metro link which is fun, easy to use, and will be invaluable for planning and getting a sense of time and distance in the city. Between the metro & the trains (which I love, for seeing more) my transportation worries are cancelled. Staying in an older part of Milan is what I'd really hoped to do, and what you and Winnie have written makes it all feel very doable and even easy. I'm off to consult guidebooks & maps, keeping a hopeful weather eye out for tickets. Thank you so much for taking the time to write!
You're welcome! I'm really glad I could be of some help this time :biggrin: Even if it's a post Olympic world championship and everything, it will probably be my once in a lifetime chance to see a world champ so I'm definitely looking forward to it and it's very nice to share my excitement with other fans: I'm not experienced in the ticket part but I'll sqeeze every information I can get from my friends about Milan as a thank you for the help I'm finding here :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Someone knows something about the ticket sales?

Thanks.

At the end of WC, the tickets were said to go on sale within a couple of weeks. Earlier this week it was again said to go on sale within a couple of weeks... :unsure: This is the site to go, or it's supposed to be. It still remains "coming soon". All we can do is keep checking on it every day...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It still remains "coming soon". All we can do is keep checking on it every day...

quoting my opening post:
To be honest, the organization information so far sounds very Italian to me, i.e. rather "laid-back" in comparison to, say, Northern European or Japanese. Be prepared for that. ;-)
It's been nearly a month... I stand by what I wrote back then, and exhibit no surprise whatsoever. :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
@Winnie_20 Exactly. Having lived in this country for 14 years, I have come to known the "Italian Way" all too well. I wouldn't be surprised if this will drag on for a good while.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
:roll9: whut?

*throws in a truck load of valium for Winnie in case she needs to go apartment hunting again*
*blinks*
*does a double-take*
*blinks again*

What?
What's that all about? How provisional can a Worlds assignment still be eleven months before the actual event?
I really don't want to speculate about anything here in the open, but
Uhm
Well
Say uhm...
If they need a backup location, I know of a good site a few countries north of Italy. ;-)

fra

Rinkside
The Provisional Allotment, which was not previously there, appeared on the ISU. Perhaps the championship will eventually be elsewhere? Http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...ts/2018/03/world-figure-skating-championships

Actually it was there ever since January at least: I've been checking the isu website hoping for informations a lot of times. Don't panick: I think it will remain "provisional" until they'll give more infos (should I say they'll know something more?:palmf:) but it was confirmed by the FISG federation so I hope it's a bit more than provisional...I think it's just the ISU not update.
They're veeeery slow with the organization but that's too much lol. We just have to wait and wait and wait and wait...

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Yeah, nothing going on here. I checked the site: all championships for next season are provisional!!!! Euros, FCC, and Junior and senior Worlds.
Oh well... Still wanna go to Milan, yay!

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Heads up, Milano 2018 is looking alive. I just got an e-mail saying I should get more info "very soon". I'm expecting something July-ish, then. :laugh:

fra

Rinkside
Heads up, Milano 2018 is looking alive. I just got an e-mail saying I should get more info "very soon". I'm expecting something July-ish, then. :laugh:

So they really send e-mails! They said they would have sent infos "soon" but no mails since then: should I be surprised? :palmf: Glad to hear they're alive. Thank you:laugh:

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Heads up, Milano 2018 is looking alive. I just got an e-mail saying I should get more info "very soon". I'm expecting something July-ish, then. [emoji23]
Wow! This means someone is indeed working to organise the WC, I was starting to doubt that ;) . Personally I'm in no rush to get tickets because it's still too early to bribe someone to come with me, but knowing nothing is making me anxious!

Also why March 21-25? I get it that the following week is Easter, but having a WC 3 weeks after the Olympics seems a bit too soon to me.

Last edited: