Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art&Sport

Medalist
The news broke on TMZ. Very sad. I can't imagine what happened between them. They seemed so happy. Oh well, best to Michelle. I hope her friends and family help her through this difficult time. I know she had been feeling down after the 2016 election. A lot of people have been depressed over those results for our country and the world. Michelle had worked so hard on Hillary's campaign.

http://people.com/sports/michelle-kwan-clay-pell-divorcing/

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad news for Michelle and Clay. I wonder if Michelle's travel and work schedule for the campaign was a factor.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Wow, that's a shame. Only four years too. Fortunately no kids are involved. The thing that I found odd is that he is asking for her to pay his legal fees? Isn't he quite wealthy? Maybe there's a reason behind the irreconcilable differences....

tulosai

Record Breaker
These things do happen. I agree it's sad but it's not really the end of the world. In the USA almost half of marriages end in divorce; our favorite ex skaters unfortunately aren't immune, and just like any other person they make it through it.

I don't honestly think their reasons or what the divorce papers say are any of our business, whether or not the divorce papers are public, so I won't be speculating on any of that, but then I'm old fashioned that way. I would view statements willingly given to the press by either one as fair game, but that's it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow, that's a shame. Only four years too. Fortunately no kids are involved. The thing that I found odd is that he is asking for her to pay his legal fees? Isn't he quite wealthy? Maybe there's a reason behind the irreconcilable differences....

It wouldn't surprise me if her hard work and popularity were too much for his ego to handle. He may be rich but, Michelle is rich and famous. In fact, she's a legend. For some people, it can be deflating to always be in the background when you're in public with your spouse. I'm sure he's been pushed aside more than once by reporters trying to speak to Michelle. I'm sorry they weren't able to make their marriage last but, like others have said, they didn't have children so, in time, hopefully they'll both be happy.

Last edited:

volk

Final Flight
The news broke on TMZ. Very sad. I can't imagine what happened between them. They seemed so happy. Oh well, best to Michelle. I hope her friends and family help her through this difficult time. I know she had been feeling down after the 2016 election. A lot of people have been depressed over those results for our country and the world. Michelle had worked so hard on Hillary's campaign.

http://people.com/sports/michelle-kwan-clay-pell-divorcing/

Hopefully next time she'll choose wiser.

brightphoton

Medalist
I remember skateluvr asking why Michelle never talks about her husband during interviews ...... I guess this is the real answer :( :( :(

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Shocked.:eekn: I mean, yes, these things happen and it's not the end of the world. But, still sad. That was a huge wedding and they seemed so happy.

liv

Record Breaker
Awww, sad for them as a couple that it didn't work out. They looked so happy. I thought the next announcement we'd see, now that the election is over, would be that they were expecting, but sometimes things just don't work out.

Art&Sport

Medalist
It wouldn't surprise me if her hard work and popularity were too much for his ego to handle. He may be rich but, Michelle is rich and famous. In fact, she's a legend. For some people, it can be deflating to always be in the background when you're in public with your spouse. I'm sure he's been pushed aside more than once by reporters trying to speak to Michelle. I'm sorry they weren't able to make their marriage last but, like others have said, they didn't have children so, in time, hopefully they'll both be happy.

Oh my, I really think you are on to something. Seems like you've hit the nail on the head. That's so unfortunate, but highly likely to be the truth.

As far as her net worth vs his family inheritance, jeez. I did not go to TMZ, so I haven't seen anything specific about the filing, but I heard he was asking for legal fees to be paid by her. That's likely another clue right there that he feels she is monetarily better off than him? Oh boy. Rotten news, but I'm sure the break-up has been happening for awhile. It could be related to her hard work and hours spent on Hillary's campaign, but there's got to be other things too that just weren't working out for them.

It is better to split than to be unhappy in any relationship. If Clay feels shunted aside and lesser than in MK's presence, then he's really just not strong enough for Kween, IMHO. Good riddance.

She should stay single unless and until she finds a true keeper.

desertskates

Medalist
That's the thing about marriage, half of them will end in divorce. Wishing them both the best as they move on. The Kween seems to have a very full life and a lot of good people around her, I'm confident she'll get through this just fine.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Like other have said, I'm glad it happened before there were kids to worry about. Now they can make a clean break and both go on to happier lives

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Divorce may suck at the time and some times people feel the residual effects of it long after it's been finalized, but it's always preferable to staying in a marriage that simply isn't working. Best of luck to all parties that this will be as painless as possible.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was just saying recently to my sister that you never hear or see Clay anymore and then I noticed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring and wedding ring in recent photos on Instagram. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.