2017 Worlds: Men's SP Highlights | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds: Men's SP Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A power-packed Men's short program at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships delivered several exceptional performances featuring quadruple jumps and has resulted in a free skate final flight with the planet's top six quadruple-jumping men.

“I enjoyed it a lot and I think everybody said that I was skating well this week,” Fernández said. “I was able to perform really well.”

Uno was particularly chuffed to start this World Championships on a positive note after finishing seventh last year in Boston. “Last year at this competition, I ended up in tears, so this was my lesson and I have learned from my mistakes in the past. This year I have been focusing to finish this competition with a smile.”

“Imagine if I did do a second quad where the points would be and where I would be in the standings,” Chan said about his personal best score and the potential to increase it further with more technical difficulty (a second quadruple jump). “So, one step at a time. I couldn’t add a second quad without accomplishing this today. I wouldn’t have the confidence to.”
More

What are your thoughts on the men's performances? Which surprised you the most? Which was your favorite?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Chan so badly needs a 2nd quad. Had he done one successfully in the SP today he'd be at or above Javier's score.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was very happy with the PCS marks awarded. Javier had a moving performance, and fairly earned the highest PE and IN marks. His SS are not as good as Yuzu or Patrick, and Javier ranked below them on that component. Chen's PCS was much closer to Boyang's than JF/PC/YH's, which was also good to see (although that should have been the case had Nathan been clean). The LP should be exciting; I can see the top 6 coming out in any order, and the next 4 coming out in any order. Hopefully it works out that USA gets 3 spots.

Overall outstanding day of competition. Many excellent performances all up and down the standings.

Chan is fine for now. Skate your program, don't worry about the other guys. He may fall farther back in the LP vis-a-vis the guys with more quads, but he is setting himself up for adding just a bit more content as he [pulls out the stops for the Olympic year.

Javi rose to the occasion . Shoma was terrific. Hanyu and Chan are both still in it. The LP is going to be a hum-dinger.

Jin did everything that a spiderman can. :rock:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Loved the quality of the programs and lack of falling in the competition.
So many SBs and PBs. The scores are close enough for shuffling in the ranks tomorrow.
Please Yuzu, pull up to the podium. If you don't, I'll need to do some major consolation shopping.

Last edited:

evasorange

Final Flight
JAVIER BAENANDEZ!!! That's my biggest take away from this super solid event. God the free is gonna be TENSE and I cannot wait!!

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
The competition is just amazing. I'm just so impressed by the way the top men competed (and also all the other out of the top 6 did really well)!
Nothing is decided. Last year, a 12 points lead over 1 skater after the SP seemed impossible to beat, and this year there are 6 skaters in those 12 points! Anything can happen. 12 points, at the end, is the base value of a 4 Loop. And is less than the base value of a 4 LZ and a 4 F. It is obviously Fernandez's to loose now, but really, the FS will be exciting. Remember also that Fernandez, out of the top 6, has the lowest base value for the FS, practically the same of Chan.
For me, tomorrow will win the skater who will land his quads. Pop one, fall on one, and you're probably out the game for the gold.
I can't wait :yahoo: