Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

breadstal

Record Breaker
Grand Prix host cities confirmed: Moscow - Rostelecom Cup Oct. 20-22; Osaka - NHK Trophy Nov. 10-12; Trophee de France - Grenoble Nov. 17-19 (not sure if it's new news though lol)

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
What was the reason for choosing Grenoble? I was considering going to the French GP depending on the lineup, but for me it's basically impossible to get there, unless I want to go by car, and I don't want to. Paris, although much further is way easier to reach for me, and in general is so much more accessible from everywhere in Europe. Plus, it's Paris and it's always nice to go there.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
What was the reason for choosing Grenoble? I was considering going to the French GP depending on the lineup, but for me it's basically impossible to get there, unless I want to go by car, and I don't want to. Paris, although much further is way easier to reach for me, and in general is so much more accessible from everywhere in Europe. Plus, it's Paris and it's always nice to go there.

Grenoble is quite easy to go to. If you can reach Lyon easily then it's a 1 hour and 30 minute drive. And there is a lot of regional train that cost 15 euros.

sarama

Medalist
Grenoble is quite easy to go to. If you can reach Lyon easily then it's a 1 hour and 30 minute drive. And there is a lot of regional train that cost 15 euros.

It's not easy from where I'm coming from:drama:. I looked for many different options, but I couldn't find anything that makes sense: it's simply poorly connected with Italy unfortunately ( I assume because the Alps are in between and they aren't exactly railway-friendly). By car it's about 5-6 hours from where I live, which is a bit too much for just a couple of days of competitions.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It's not easy from where I'm coming from:drama:. I looked for many different options, but I couldn't find anything that makes sense: it's simply poorly connected with Italy unfortunately ( I assume because the Alps are in between and they aren't exactly railway-friendly). By car it's about 5-6 hours from where I live, which is a bit too much for just a couple of days of competitions.

Yeah, I mean it's DOABLE to get to Grenoble but it's definitely a lot harder than getting to Paris from most places, I'm sorry. I'm in the Netherlands, Paris by train is a straight shot, 3 hours and done or like 2.5 hours by plane including time spent in the airport. Without a car (which I don't have because biking and public transit here rock) it's like 12 hours to Grenoble no matter what you do; even with a car it's 9ish minimum whereas to Paris in a car would be half that.

It's also much easier to get around the Paris area with a limited understanding of the French train/public transport system and the French language. I actually have a very good understanding of the French language and a so-so understanding of their transport system and still would find it harder to get to Grenoble.

As for Lyon, it's both harder and more expensive for many people to reach- there ARE flights to Lyon but they cost more than those to Paris, from literally anywhere in ther world, and Lyon is accessible by train obviously but not nearly as easily for the vast majority of Euopeans and the public transit there otherwise is nowhere near as good as in the Paris area.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Try blablacar ! I hope for you to go ;)

beki

Medalist

Fly to Paris, then three hours on the TGV to Grenoble? Then you'll be going the same way I would from the US :palmf:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Yeah, I mean it's DOABLE to get to Grenoble but it's definitely a lot harder than getting to Paris from most places, I'm sorry.
Yeah... Paris for us, is a simple train ride on the Eurostar from London, and (since Paris usually don't let people into the practices) we don't have to travel until the day the competition starts. Train arrives in the morning, competition starts in the afternoon. Return home right after the gala. Only need two nights accommodation etc.

Grenoble is do-able by train, it's just further, and takes longer. But it will cost more, and the extra travel time means having to set off a day earlier, and leave a day later... therefore an extra two nights accomodation etc... which adds even more to the costs.

Our schedules for November might not allow it anyway... but if they do, whether we go or not will depend heavily on which skaters are going to be there. The place looks beautiful, I'd love to visit... but still - it's probably not worth the trip for us, unless our favourites are competing there...

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Fly to Paris, then three hours on the TGV to Grenoble? Then you'll be going the same way I would from the US :palmf:
If the lineup is super appealing I guess I'll find a way to go by car, otherwise I'll pass... It just seems stupid to me that I should travel 1500 km to get to a place that it's only 500 km away.

aynia

On the Ice

I know what you mean. For me it's about 4.5 h to Paris by train, to Grenoble it takes twice as long.

mysticice

Rinkside
I’m disappointed that the French GP will be in Grenoble. I was planning to go there if it was in Paris.

As much as I would love to see live some of the Olympic season’s programs, one GP event (that is not the final) is not worth the extra time, money and other troubles.

Last edited:

aynia

On the Ice
There is a 3 hour fast train from Paris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the timing is right I could save 1.5 h - good to know, thanks. :)

---

Well, I checked - actually, it doesn't make much of a difference... less train changes though.

Last edited:

abfab

Rinkside
So happy for GPF in Grenoble=just 2 hours by car from my home = Yesssssssssssssssssssss

Tallorder

On the Ice
Incredible when one thinks about it. Almost 50 years since the Grenoble Olympics, 1968, Peggy Fleming, etc.

FIFTY! Years