Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So glad that Loboda/Drozd got 2 GP!

Technically they don't. It's an educated guess, and a good one--I think--that they will receive two. Last season it looked like the selectors filled the guaranteed dance slots, then went straight down the SB list, giving two to every team down through Kaliszek & Spodiriev in 24th place. (That's very misleading, though, because there were several higher-ranked teams who opted out of the GP and/or used host spots). But even taking that into account, if the same system is followed, then I would guess Loboda & Drozd are safely in at 19th. (I was thinking they would be the last team, but Miller put more time into it so is probably correct that the cutoff could be Agafanova & Ucar). All of that, however, is assuming the GP hosts follow the same system as last year. They don't have to. The only teams guaranteed 2 spots are those who finished top 10 at Worlds. It's a safe bet that host country National Champions, like Muramoto & Reed, will also have two as they are bound to be host picks & also have a guaranteed non-host spot. But if the selectors want to delve farther into the bench & offer more teams 1 spot instead of two, they can. Should that happen, I would think L&D have a very good argument for a host spot as well. But if things go as they did last year, there's a good chance they won't need it.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
makes me nervous about traffic and possible storm weather...

I wouldn't worry about storms so much in November, although anything is possible. And I don't know what local traffic in Lake Placid is like. BUT....

driving to LP from any Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic city will be a nightmare:palmf: And I saw a schedule where the men's SP was Friday and official practice was Thanksgiving Day.

For Americans, this is a great comp for the extended family that travels together to a destination for Thanksgiving or for people avoiding their families. For the rest of us:disapp:

hohoho

On the Ice
Of the ladies, I am projecting the following;

Medvedeva will do CoC and SA. This would allow her to avoid CoR and NHK.

Osmond will do SC and TEB. Canadian national champ usually does SC. TEB will allow her to avoid CoR and NHK.

Daleman will get CoR and NHK.

Barb

Record Breaker
For Americans, this is a great comp for the extended family that travels together to a destination for Thanksgiving or for people avoiding their families. For the rest of us:disapp:

:laugh: . Maybe they are thinking invite some japanese star, so japanese crowd will be enough.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: . Maybe they are thinking invite some japanese star, so japanese crowd will be enough.

Shoma won SA last year, maybe he'll get to defend his title? I don't think Yuzu would be there, he's always at SC. I'd like to see Shoma skate live again, I only previously saw him at Worlds last year, where he was very sad.

I guess we'll know in June.

irriya

On the Ice
I wouldn't worry about storms so much in November, although anything is possible. And I don't know what local traffic in Lake Placid is like. BUT....

driving to LP from any Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic city will be a nightmare:palmf: And I saw a schedule where the men's SP was Friday and official practice was Thanksgiving Day.

Since I live in south California, have to fly almost across the whole country. Both the flight and land traffic make me nervous around Thanksgiving...:palmf:

irriya

On the Ice
Technically they don't. It's an educated guess, and a good one--I think--that they will receive two. Last season it looked like the selectors filled the guaranteed dance slots, then went straight down the SB list, giving two to every team down through Kaliszek & Spodiriev in 24th place. (That's very misleading, though, because there were several higher-ranked teams who opted out of the GP and/or used host spots). But even taking that into account, if the same system is followed, then I would guess Loboda & Drozd are safely in at 19th. (I was thinking they would be the last team, but Miller put more time into it so is probably correct that the cutoff could be Agafanova & Ucar). All of that, however, is assuming the GP hosts follow the same system as last year. They don't have to. The only teams guaranteed 2 spots are those who finished top 10 at Worlds. It's a safe bet that host country National Champions, like Muramoto & Reed, will also have two as they are bound to be host picks & also have a guaranteed non-host spot. But if the selectors want to delve farther into the bench & offer more teams 1 spot instead of two, they can. Should that happen, I would think L&D have a very good argument for a host spot as well. But if things go as they did last year, there's a good chance they won't need it.

Thank you for the analysis. I think they could make a really competitive team in the future, putting a lot of pressure on S/B although I like B/S as well.

hyperbunny

Rinkside
I expect Abachkina/Thauron to receive a host pick for sure. I'll be very surprised if they choose to give it to Aleesandrini/Soquet (sp?)

Additionally, piggybacking off host pick ideas, the dance event at NHK could use all three host spots for the first time in recent memory (ever?). Komatsubara/Koleto haven't competed internationally do to her release, but could threaten either Hirai/DLAsucion or Fukase/Tateno for a spot. It'll be interesting to see ho things shake out in the fall, and who the Japanese federation decides to push, if anyone at all.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I expect Abachkina/Thauron to receive a host pick for sure. I'll be very surprised if they choose to give it to Aleesandrini/Soquet (sp?)

If Marie-Jade Lauriault doesn't get citizenship in time, the fed will push Abachkina/Thauron big time, since they'll be the one going to the OG.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Japan (3 slots) – Suto/Boudreau-Audet 2 (1 as Host). Will assume Koga/Howe = Host Pick also. Other Host Pick is possible, couples in 60s/70s Seasons Best-wise, but scores look too low for a GP slot (Seasons Best no higher than 130).

Koga/Howe split before junior nationals. Suzaki/Kihara will be a host pick (PB = 130.85 at 4CC).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Broadmoor Open starts June 19, and the Chesapeake Open starts June 21.
June 24-25 is late for GP Announcements.

Miller

Final Flight
World Rankings have now been updated. Only significant difference from predictions (pages 14 and 16) are that Grant Hochstein now gets 2 slots and Nam Nguyen 1. Will assume Skate Canada now has Patrick Chan as host choice and 2 'Host Picks' i.e. skaters getting slots wouldn't otherwise get. Likely to be 2 between Nam, Elladj Balde, Keegan Messing, Liam Firus and Nic Nadeau given people's thoughts above.

Also, in Pairs, Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson need the split pair Mari Vartmann and Ruben Blommaert to be removed from the World Rankings presumably before the Selection Meeting to get a slot (are 25th in World Rankings).

Finally, in Dance, Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolai Sorensen get a 2nd slot following Emi Hirai and Marien De La Asuncion's retirement announced yesterday (am assuming only 2 Japanese Host Picks from now on).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
World Rankings have now been updated. Only significant difference from predictions (pages 14 and 16) are that Grant Hochstein now gets 2 slots and Nam Nguyen 1. Will assume Skate Canada now has Patrick Chan as host choice and 2 'Host Picks' i.e. skaters getting slots wouldn't otherwise get. Likely to be 2 between Nam, Elladj Balde, Keegan Messing, Liam Firus and Nic Nadeau given people's thoughts above.

Also, in Pairs, Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson need the split pair Mari Vartmann and Ruben Blommaert to be removed from the World Rankings presumably before the Selection Meeting to get a slot (are 25th in World Rankings).

Finally, in Dance, Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolai Sorensen get a 2nd slot following Emi Hirai and Marien De La Asuncion's retirement announced yesterday (am assuming only 2 Japanese Host Picks from now on).

How do you figure that for Grant and Nam? Only top 12 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots. Neither Grant nor Nam meet this criteria. Unless I'm misreading something, Grant gets 1 guaranteed spot because he is #23 (tied with Kevin Reynolds) in World Standing. Nam is not in the top 24 for World Standing or SB score, so as far as I can see he is not guaranteed a spot.