Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

Bonnie F

On the Ice
First thoughts, Cup of Russia looks stacked for the men and women.
Jason Brown in Canada and Gracie Gold in China hopefully will take advantage of weak fields and get high podium finishes.
Hanyu has ended up with a really tough draw.
How are S&H going to do skating back to back two weeks in a row?
I wish we got to see Lip once instead of Leonova twice.

LRK

Record Breaker
First thoughts, Cup of Russia looks stacked for the men and women.
Jason Brown in Canada and Gracie Gold in China hopefully will take advantage of weak fields and get high podium finishes.
Hanyu has ended up with a really tough draw.
How are S&H going to do skating back to back two weeks in a row?
I wish we got to see Lip once instead of Leonova twice.

I don't think I'd call the Cup of China ladies field "weak".

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*furious annoyed muttering*

So what has happened? Are the big feds too cowardly? Too afraid that a little fed pair might show up theirs?

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I don't think I'd call the Cup of China ladies field "weak".

Well of the six, I think it's the weakest; no Medvedeva, Osmond, Satoko, Pogo, Kostner, Wagner etc. The young skaters from Japan at CoC have good potential but are inconsistent. Daleman is inconsistent also so to me I think this event is a great chance for Gold or Radionova to have high finish if they can conquer their own insecurity demons.
One of the things I like about this time of year is seeing which events everyone views as loaded or which appear a little easier. Of course its all subjective but it'd be fun hearing which event you think is weaker than CoC, knowing there's no right or wrong answer of course!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well of the six, I think it's the weakest; no Medvedeva, Osmond, Satoko, Pogo, Kostner, Wagner etc. The young skaters from Japan at CoC have good potential but are inconsistent. Daleman is inconsistent also so to me I think this event is a great chance for Gold or Radionova to have high finish if they can conquer their own insecurity demons.
One of the things I like about this time of year is seeing which events everyone views as loaded or which appear a little easier. Of course its all subjective but it'd be fun hearing which event you think is weaker than CoC, knowing there's no right or wrong answer of course!

Yeah, sorry. I wouldn't exactly call the Skate Canada mens field very weak either.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Yeah, sorry. I wouldn't exactly call the Skate Canada mens field very weak either.

Actually I think Skate America has the weakest field for the men. Skate Canada isn't really weak, poor choice of words on my part, but I think Jason Brown has a great chance for a good podium finish in Canada. Obviously Chan and Uno will be heavily favored but Chan can be inconsistent so you never know.
On a second review of the men's list, I think Max Aaron (one of my sentimental favorites) also got a pretty good draw hopefully he can take advantage of it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On a second review of the men's list, I think Max Aaron (one of my sentimental favorites) also got a pretty good draw hopefully he can take advantage of it.

Agreed, I just looked at this again and he should do really well at both CoC and IdF (wth France).

I like Brendan's draw too, he could finish really well. Just I guess...it's Skate Canada. Sigh.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually I think Skate America has the weakest field for the men. Skate Canada isn't really weak, poor choice of words on my part, but I think Jason Brown has a great chance for a good podium finish in Canada. Obviously Chan and Uno will be heavily favored but Chan can be inconsistent so you never know.

Actually, the Skate America mens field isn't too shabby either..pretty strong IMO. If you want to talk weaker mens fields I'd be talking about CoC or Internationaux de France.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Daleman has many qualities as a skater but inconsistent, hardly. Her worst placement in an Int'l event this season was 4th. In her last 3 Int'l comps, she finished 2nd 4CC's, 3rd at Worlds, and 4th at WTT. She is always in the hunt and usually close to, or on the podium.

Last edited:

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Actually, the Skate America mens field isn't too shabby either..pretty strong IMO. If you want to talk weaker mens fields I'd be talking about CoC or Internationaux de France.

I agree somewhat, which is why I think Max has a good draw. If I were to rank the events from strongest to weakest for the men I would say: NHK, Rostelecom, Canada, IDF, CoC, SA. That's not to say there aren't good skaters at each event. I know most people will have different opinions. I enjoy seeing other people's perceptions, and since I haven't spent a huge amount of time analyzing the lists I may end up changing my mind as more expert fan analysis comes in.

LRK

Record Breaker

I don't think there is any ladies field that I'd call "weak", actually - there are quite a few contenders in each.:)

As for Cup of China, I think Mai has actually been quite consistent - she made one costly error at Worlds', but otherwise she's quite solid, and is also 4CC champion. Gabby is now a Worlds' medalist, and I'd imagine her stock with the judges has gone up accordingly. Elena is a fighter, and there is also Alina Zagitova, who I understand (I don't watch juniors) is remarkably consistent. Marin I understand (again see last parenthesis:)) is very talented, and so is Wakaba. Also, while Liza has not been in her best form, neither has Gracie, and Liza did win a medal last season at the GPs (actually at Cup of China, if I don't misremember - with a memory like a sieve, I very likely might;)), so I wouldn't count her out of consideration, especially considering Gracie herself has been less than solid. There may perhaps be fewer of the more recognised "big guns" at this event, but I think it's quite a deep field, and very unpredictable - it could go any number of ways. Including Gracie winning a medal, if she is back into anything like her old form. But I don't imagine this an easy field for her - or anybody else.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Tough draw for Loboda/ Drozd. Medvedeva, bell and Nagasu have the same draws. Even though Wagner and Chen will face each other twice, among the US ladies they have the easier draw

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For the past 1-2 hours, I've been pondering on possible host picks.

Me too. What are you thinking?

I have a few ideas:

SC - Pairs : Ruest/Wolfe (Jones/Reagan is the other possibility, but R/W are younger than he is, and were only a bit behind at Nats despite being the newer team, and are higher on the SB list)
SC - Women : Larkyn Austman (she was 4th at Nats, otherwise Sarah Tamura, who was 5th at Nats)
Dance has no TBD and too many options for the men to predict.

SA - Men : imo, if Josh Farris looks good like summer, he's most likely, though there are plenty of other options
SA - Pairs : Cain/Leduc (US fed seems to really like them and they don't have one yet, otherwise a second for K/O would be my guess)
SA - Dance : second one for either the Parsons or McNamara/Carpenter, my bet is on the Parsons

CoR - Ladies : someone said they think Yulia will get this if she's healthy enough, which would make sense to me

There are 3 total for dance (CoR, NHK, SA), 6 for pairs (one each), 3 for ladies (CoR, SC, SA), and 5 for men (everything except France).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too. What are you thinking?

I have a few ideas:

SC - Pairs : Ruest/Wolfe (Jones/Reagan is the other possibility, but R/W are younger than he is, and were only a bit behind at Nats despite being the newer team, and are higher on the SB list)
SC - Women : Larkyn Austman (she was 4th at Nats, otherwise Sarah Tamura, who was 5th at Nats)
Dance has no TBD and too many options for the men to predict.

SA - Men : imo, if Josh Farris looks good like summer, he's most likely, though there are plenty of other options
SA - Pairs : Cain/Leduc (US fed seems to really like them and they don't have one yet, otherwise a second for K/O would be my guess)
SA - Dance : second one for either the Parsons or McNamara/Carpenter, my bet is on the Parsons

CoR - Ladies : someone said they think Yulia will get this if she's healthy enough, which would make sense to me

There are 3 total for dance (CoR, NHK, SA), 6 for pairs (one each), 3 for ladies (CoR, SC, SA), and 5 for men (everything except France).

My predictions:

COR:
Men: I have no clue.
Ladies: Adelina Sotnikova or Julia Lipnitskaya. Idk how many more are turning senior.
Pairs: Okay wow I'm surprised at that little. If Tatiana and Maxim come back, then them. If not....oooooooo idk......
Dance: Okay I'm not sure. Idk if other teams are turning senior or not tbh. This is difficult.

SC:
Pairs: Ooooooo...This won't be east. I'm saying Jones/Reagan only cause they got a spot last year.
Men: I would say Nam, but CoR is only a week prior to SC and not enough recovery time from time zone differences. So I would say Nicolas Nadeau cause he got 4th at Nats. And idk if Roman is doing JGP for one last season or not.
Ladies: Veronik or Larkyn. I'm hedging my bets that Sarah Tamura is going to do JGP again as she's only 16 and not ready yet IMO to do senior international.

CoC:
Men: I don't pay attention to Chinese skating too much, so I'm not sure. He Zhang only cause he got a spot last year (Though he had to WD)
Pairs: I'm not sure. All the top ones are taken.

NHK:
Men: I'm not sure. Maybe Sota if he recovers. I'm not sure.
Pairs: Idk.
Dance: Idk.

TDF:
Pairs: I'll just say Lola Esbrat and Andrei Novoselov cause they got 2nd at French Nationals (According to Wikipedia).
Dance: Wow....Um the only name I can find from last year is Lorenza Alessandrini and Pierre Souquet.....

SA:
Men: Okay, Josh Farris is my 1st choice since he only has 1 assignment and it's NHK. 2 weeks away. But If not him, Ross Miner or Timothy Dolensky.
Ladies: I would say Polina since she only has one assignment, but her 1st assignment is only a week prior to SA, so no. Caroling Zhang or Angela Wang are better options.
Pairs: Either Castelli/Tran, Kayne/O'Shea, or Cain/LeDuc.
Dance: 99.99% sure it'll be between McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons. Maybe the Parsons since they did win the junior world title this most recent JWC. If this was for last season, I would have said McNamara/Carpenter.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As for Medvedeva, I think she will pick CoR and either CoC or NHK. The reason for CoR - practice before Europeans and she did not win it the first time. The reason for the Asian competitions - she has not done them yet. She seems to be quite ambitious. Having "the Grand Slam" of all GP event wins might be in her agenda.

I was absolutely right (would like to add "as always" but won't :) ). Medvedeva got CoR and NHK. What is funny is that Radionova has CoR as well. What will be hillarious is if Radionova beats Medevedeva another time. Although at this stage it looks unreal.

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I just realized Lena Radionova is doing CoR + CoC for the third year in a row.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we may see some very late announcements for the SA TBA spots. I wonder if USFSA is going to take a stance of if you have medal/have a shot at the final at your first/lone GP you get the SA spot, if not, they are going to give it to someone else to give them a chance to build.

So if Josh gets on the Podium at NHK, he gets the spot, otherwise it is between Ross, Alex, Tim and Sean depending on their season.

Same for Polina and Tarah and Danny really.

For Dance it might be more of whoever does better between the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter and has a shot at the GP. They may give it to whomever has a better showing anyway, but they may give one of our many other skaters a shot too... especially if Maia and the Madisons all make it to the GPF again.

It will be interesting to see how much USFSA take advantage of their position. They could tell the skaters what is going on to, so it is not a total surprise.