Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

Andrea82

Medalist
CoC:
Men: I don't pay attention to Chinese skating too much, so I'm not sure. He Zhang only cause he got a spot last year (Though he had to WD)
Pairs: I'm not sure. All the top ones are taken.

TDF:
Pairs: I'll just say Lola Esbrat and Andrei Novoselov cause they got 2nd at French Nationals (According to Wikipedia).
Dance: Wow....Um the only name I can find from last year is Lorenza Alessandrini and Pierre Souquet.....

I think Dance will be between Alessandrini/Souquet and Galayavieva/Abecassis. Last February at Bavarian Open they were at the same level (145 vs 143). So I guess French Fed will wait until next season to see who is in better shape at that moment.
Also in Pairs I guess they will wait to see how their second and third pairs are performing next season before taking a decision between them. Or given their recent track record they will wait to see who is less injured!

sarama

Medalist
It will be interesting to see how much USFSA take advantage of their position. They could tell the skaters what is going on to, so it is not a total surprise.

I got the impression that the USFSA really wanted Skate America as the last grand prix, so I'm sure they'll fully exploit all the advantages that come with that.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think we may see some very late announcements for the SA TBA spots. I wonder if USFSA is going to take a stance of if you have medal/have a shot at the final at your first/lone GP you get the SA spot, if not, they are going to give it to someone else to give them a chance to build.

So if Josh gets on the Podium at NHK, he gets the spot, otherwise it is between Ross, Alex, Tim and Sean depending on their season.

Same for Polina and Tarah and Danny really.

For Dance it might be more of whoever does better between the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter and has a shot at the GP. They may give it to whomever has a better showing anyway, but they may give one of our many other skaters a shot too... especially if Maia and the Madisons all make it to the GPF again.

It will be interesting to see how much USFSA take advantage of their position. They could tell the skaters what is going on to, so it is not a total surprise.

I don't think it's going to be about GPF chance, especially not for Tarah and Danny. Even with two events, I don't think they have a shot at it realistically. Their first event has Sui/Han and Yu/Zhang who'll almost certainly beat them, and the other fourth teams named all have higher SBs. Bronze at best, but imo that'd be a huge success. And SA is already more stacked than CoC. No way they or any US team who gets that spot medals. Duhamel/Radford, Yu/Zhang and Savchenko/Massot are all there, and if one of those teams misses the podium, which is unlikely, the Knierims are probably going to beat K/O too. And again, all the teams there have higher SBs than K/O. So GPF isn't really a factor here.

And even Polina, with Kaetlyn and Alina at her one GP, probably bronze is best case and there's lots of talent at SA, so GPF is unlikely for her too.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What do you think are chances for Kavaguti/Smirnov to get at least one spot?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They didn't get any spot? That's just... *goes off into a corner to cry*

No :( But RC still has one host pick left, so it's possible they will get it... But they will fight for it with Asthakova/Rogonov I think.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Wow, Orser has a skater in each men's event... Cha has no overlapping events with Hanyu and Fernandez. Not to mention, there's also Daleman in ladies... is he going to every event??? Busy man.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wow, Orser has a skater in each men's event... Cha has no overlapping events with Hanyu and Fernandez. Not to mention, there's also Daleman in ladies... is he going to every event??? Busy man.

He's used to it. I think this happened last year too.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Booked my hotel yesterday. Getting ready to do the air and tickets. Kinda wondering if Yuzu fans have tickets they want to sell.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Looked another time at ladies' assignments. It's all very rational. With one exception: back to back events for Marin Honda in Canada and China. Looks strange. If Japan's Fed bet on her as a new prima as some people here said I would think of some other GP event choice.

irriya

On the Ice
Looked another time at ladies' assignments. It's all very rational. With one exception: back to back events for Marin Honda in Canada and China. Looks strange. If Japan's Fed bet on her as a new prima as some people here said I would think of some other GP event choice.

Yuna also has a back to back of NHK and IDF, and Sakamoto has the first and last. Really confused about the selection

mrrice

Record Breaker
If I weren't already going to Nationals, I'd head to another skate Canada. The lineup is amazing.....

randomfan

Record Breaker
I can kinda see why Yuna ended up with back-to-back spots. She wasn't guaranteed even one placement, so JSF used one of their host picks on her. Then, I'm guessing that due to her relatively low SB placement of #44 (#37 if you take out non-eligible/retired skaters), her second spot was probably one of the last assignments given before the list was released. And IDF may have been the only one left that a Japanese skater could go to.

What I don't understand is Marin's situation though. First I was surprised to not see her be placed in NHK (considering how much hype she's getting). And then, since she had a high SB placement along with a top 24 WS, she would've been one of the early ones to get a second spot (obviously excluding Worlds top 12). And somehow she ended up getting back-to-back events, even though there should've been plenty of other spots available.

As for the overall ladies assignments, I'm pretty disappointed. If there are two skaters going back-to-back, along with many, VERY MANY skaters going to the same two events as each other, then it means that the selection wasn't that well organized this time.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Yuna also has a back to back of NHK and IDF, and Sakamoto has the first and last. Really confused about the selection

Perhaps they are thinking about the team event? Jason Brown has deliberately back to back events as a way to try to help train for the team event in some fashion. Maybe they are testing out something similar... wanting get a peak of how they might look in the individual event after the team event as added consideration.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Perhaps they are thinking about the team event? Jason Brown has deliberately back to back events as a way to try to help train for the team event in some fashion. Maybe they are testing out something similar... wanting get a peak of how they might look in the individual event after the team event as added consideration.

i doubt that's the case for japan though... without proper pairs and dance teams, their team event will be short lived and ladies compete way later