Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2017-18 News and Chat

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i have seen some already posted in this forum

At first, I couldn't figure out why there were four "Selling Skate Canada tix" posts in a row a few days ago. And then it hit me:biggrin:

I would love to see SC, Yuzu or no Yuzu. But if I can't make it to Chicago for Jason, I surely won't be trekking out from the Eastern US to Regina;)

Klarnet

On the Ice
Looked another time at ladies' assignments. It's all very rational. With one exception: back to back events for Marin Honda in Canada and China. Looks strange. If Japan's Fed bet on her as a new prima as some people here said I would think of some other GP event choice.

Seems like Satoko had the first pick. They could have sent Satoko to SC instead with Marin going to SA as the lineup at these events is almost the same, but,if I remember correctly,Canada was not too kind to Satoko in the past. Marin's draw is ok,it's back to back but she has chances to medal there,even win if big guns bomb, which is highly implausible at the same event with Medvedeva

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know the rationale for USFS scheduling SA on a U.S. holiday week-end?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Does anyone know the rationale for USFS scheduling SA on a U.S. holiday week-end?

The only explanation I have heard, thus far, for the switch in the GP schedule is that Russia wanted more time after their GP in order to prepare for hosting Europeans later in the season. There are plenty of pluses in moving SA to a later date. People may be available to come without being tied to a regular work-week schedule. Performances may be of higher quality as the athletes will be more trained and further into their season. (Which could correlate into higher home-field scores for the athletes. Late-season scores often outpace early season ones, and athletes from early events often lose-out when it comes to GP qualifying ties). But, of course, there is the flip side, which is that airline tickets will be more expensive, people have family commitments, winter may arrive by then, and holiday travel can be difficult.

But it is only a one-year switch, regardless.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^ I appreciate your thorough answer. I like the rationale about late-season scores often outpacing early season ones. If it ends up being good for the skaters, I'm happy. But I think a lot of people, like myself, who would like to attend SA will be disappointed and will choose family plans over SA. But that's chiefly economic for the organization, and it's possible that others who wouldn't normally be able to, will attend.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^^^^ I appreciate your thorough answer. I like the rationale about late-season scores often outpacing early season ones. If it ends up being good for the skaters, I'm happy. But I think a lot of people, like myself, who would like to attend SA will be disappointed and will choose family plans over SA. But that's chiefly economic for the organization, and it's possible that others who wouldn't normally be able to, will attend.

I've also heard that NBC wanted it last so they could have a nice build-up to the Olympics with SA, then GPF a couple weeks later, then nationals, then the games. Don't know if that's true.

cleo2070

Final Flight
The only explanation I have heard, thus far, for the switch in the GP schedule is that Russia wanted more time after their GP in order to prepare for hosting Europeans later in the season.

I've also heard that NBC wanted it last so they could have a nice build-up to the Olympics with SA, then GPF a couple weeks later, then nationals, then the games. Don't know if that's true.

Thank you for sharing this info with us! I'd been wondering and wondering, so even rumours and speculations are welcome :)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Those lucky enough to go will be rewarded, as Lake Placid is a beautiful area, and the rinks are great!