2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Ender

Match Penalty
I don't mind Carmen, really. I have soft spot for it. I don't like Turandot and Madame Butterfly though.

qwerty1195

On the Ice
I actually like Satoko skating to Madame Butterfly. Big, grand music really works well with her as seen in Miss Saigon and Planets. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Un Sospiro because it made her skating look really small

geige

On the Ice
Here's what I think: Madame Butterfly contains 2+ hours of music. Satoko's program could very easily be nothing like Mao's was. So let's at least wait to give this new program a chance before jumping on the "oh boy, another warhorse (but not really a warhorse)" train. A lot to ask from many GS members, I know.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really don't understand the fuss about Madama Butterfly: first of all, it's not such a warhorse, there have been a couple of great programs skated to it, but nothing like Carmen/POTO or even Sheherazade. Secondly, this is the kind of music that suits Satoko perfectly, so why shouldn't she use it for the Olympic season (do we know who the choreographer is, BTW)? Thirdly (but this is just my super-personal opinion), I didn't like the Planets that much, I preferred Miss Saigon and Un Sospiro by a long way, but maybe that's just because I was not really familiar with the music itself.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I really don't understand the fuss about Madama Butterfly: first of all, it's not such a warhorse, there have been a couple of great programs skated to it, but nothing like Carmen/POTO or even Sheherazade. Secondly, this is the kind of music that suits Satoko perfectly, so why shouldn't she use it for the Olympic season (do we know who the choreographer is, BTW)? Thirdly (but this is just my super-personal opinion), I didn't like the Planets that much, I preferred Miss Saigon and Un Sospiro by a long way, but maybe that's just because I was not really familiar with the music itself.

Add me to #TeamSospiro. I often feel like I was the only one who didn't love Satoko's free program last season when I read all the posts on here about how great it was.
I feel like the issue isn't so much that Madama Butterfly is a warhorse, but I think to many, Mao's program is still fresh in their minds. I hope Satoko takes it in a different direction, so we're not just reminded of Mao when she's skating. It doesn't seem like an impossible task, there's tons of cuts to choose from.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Add me to #TeamSospiro. I often feel like I was the only one who didn't love Satoko's free program last season when I read all the posts on here about how great it was.
I feel like the issue isn't so much that Madama Butterfly is a warhorse, but I think to many, Mao's program is still fresh in their minds. I hope Satoko takes it in a different direction, so we're not just reminded of Mao when she's skating. It doesn't seem like an impossible task, there's tons of cuts to choose from.
Yes, I loved Mao's Butterfly immensely, too: I'd say it was even one of my all-time favourites of hers, but I have faith that Satoko will be able to produce something different, less dramatic, more ethereal, focusing on her strengths

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Evgenia Medvedeva 2017-2018 season music:
SP: Nocturne n.20 in C-Sharp Minor op.Posth (Joshua Bell version)
FP: January stars (George Winston) + Departure and Dona Nobis Pacem 2 (Max Richter)

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
FP: January stars + Departure n Dona Nobis Pacem 2
Super-safe choices, as expected, but why blame her? That's what everyone's doing, as we have seen with Honda, Zagitova and Miyahara. I'm just a bit disappointed because I think I remember her saying that she wanted to try something different and I was hoping for something more upbeat, at least for the SP.
(Is "January Stars" this piece by George Winston https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysOTVZ-9SKg ? If yes, it's the same album from which Alissa's glorious 2011 FS music came :eek:: EDIT: yes it is! :hap85:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FP: January stars + Departure n Dona Nobis Pacem 2

We're going to have dueling Nocturnes at Rostelecom Cup! Obviously Evgenia's version is different (Mirai's uses the original piano version), but it will be interesting to compare. I am intrigued with the George Winston part of her FS music.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The FS music choices are lovely. I'm listening right now and am looking forward to see the music cut they'll choose.

Listening to January Stars :drama: Wow, so excited. September can't come quick enough.

Now Departure, both so far are SOOO Evgenia :cool2:

geige

On the Ice

Well.. that's awkward, since Mirai and Evgenia are going to the same GPs, and we all know which one will fare better lol

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The FS music choices are lovely. I'm listening right now and am looking forward to see the music cut they'll choose.

Listening to January Stars :drama: Wow, so excited. September can't come quick enough.

Now Departure, both so far are SOOO Evgenia :cool2:

I totally agree, they're both very beautiful pieces of music and they suit her very well, especially January Stars (this is actually so lovely). And maybe they're safe choices, but the FS music isn't a war horse, which is nice.

Also, does anybody have the status on this? I was checking her twitter all through last night like someone with nothing better to do (to be fair, though, that it what I am)

All I know is she hasn't posted anything on Instagram or twitter since that tweet. (And I was doing the same thing).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Well.. that's awkward, since Mirai and Evgenia are going to the same GPs, and we all know which one will fare better lol

It's a bit like wearing the same dress to the prom. But Zhenya is going with a violin version by Joshua Bell so it's not entirely the same.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, does anybody have the status on this? I was checking her twitter all through last night like someone with nothing better to do (to be fair, though, that it what I am)

You and me both then. I'm still checking :palmf: