2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Ender

Match Penalty
Evgenia Medvedeva 2017-2018 season music:
SP: Nocturne n.20 in C-Sharp Minor op.Posth (Joshua Bell version)
FP: January stars (George Winston) + Departure and Dona Nobis Pacem 2 (Max Richter)
The SP is also Chopin? It's interesting.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Potato King (aka Michal Brezina) has announced his prorgrams music :)

SP: Kodo
FS: Stand by Me, Human by Rag'n'bone

Source

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Nice choices by Evgenia, I really like January Stars. Then again I have liked most of her music choices, this years SP song Balmorhea Winter is one of my all time favourite pieces by now. :love:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a bit like wearing the same dress to the prom. But Zhenya is going with a violin version by Joshua Bell so it's not entirely the same.

Mirai's is a violin version, too. Sorry, but I don't think I'll like a Chopin program with all of the jumps crammed into the second half.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Mirai's is a violin version, too. Sorry, but I don't think I'll like a Chopin program with all of the jumps crammed into the second half.

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought Mirai was going for the original piano version. My misunderstanding.

As for the backloaded Chopin, I guess it depends on how the music cut will be and the choreography of the first half. I don't think it's quite as jarring to do so in the SP as it is in a FS, though.

whatif

Medalist
Big fan of THE LEFTOVERS show. Everyone should watch it.
And I would have never guessed that its haunting soundtrack would, one day, win Olympic Gold medal in the most competitive winter sports.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought Mirai was going for the original piano version. My misunderstanding.

As for the backloaded Chopin, I guess it depends on how the music cut will be and the choreography of the first half. I don't think it's quite as jarring to do so in the SP as it is in a FS, though.

Well, part of me is rejoiced at every new announcement of a classical music choice - never get enough - thank you, skaters! But as usual (we never happy are we...) some questions - why out of the hundreds of works Chopin composed, a skater would choose one which is already been skated before and in particular this season someone else is skating to too? Secondly, why to go for a violin version - piano works are a God send to FS it is just so in line with steps/movements on the ice (IMHO) especially when it comes to the supreme Master of the instrument, Chopin- why to 'separate' the two?:scratch2:

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
why out of the hundreds of works Chopin composed, a skater would choose one which is already been skated before and in particular this season someone else is skating to too?

Are you for real? ;) This Olympic season all we have is :

1 - overused music pieces (usually warhorse music )

or

2 - same programs that were used before

Skaters are playing it safe. You can love it or not, but it's already a trend.

Regarding Mirai, my guess is that Averbuch and Eteri chose this music long before Mirai confirmed that she's using it again for the second season in a row... In addition, their music interpretation will be different for sure as well as choreo so what's bothering you so much?
Secondly, why to go for a violin version why to 'separate' the two?:scratch2:

Because violin version is more emotional and sounds more powerfull on ice. (my own opinion of course)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Are you for real? ;) This Olympic season all we have is :

1 - overused music pieces (usually warhorse music )

or

2 - same programs that were used before

Skaters are playing it safe. You can love it or not, but it's already a trend.

Regarding Mirai, my guess is that Averbuch and Eteri chose this music long before Mirai confirmed that she's using it again for the second season in a row... In addition, their music interpretation will be different for sure as well as choreo so what's bothering you so much?

Because violin version is more emotional and sounds more powerfull on ice. (my own opinion of course)

Even if they didn't know that Mirai was to re-use it, it'd be still a piece used by another elite skater just a season before. I am always amused how the fans react to a slightest critique of their favourite. And to answer your question: I am here to express my opinion like everyone else ;)

Ender

Match Penalty
Well, part of me is rejoiced at every new announcement of a classical music choice - never get enough - thank you, skaters! But as usual (we never happy are we...) some questions - why out of the hundreds of works Chopin composed, a skater would choose one which is already been skated before and in particular this season someone else is skating to too? Secondly, why to go for a violin version - piano works are a God send to FS it is just so in line with steps/movements on the ice (IMHO) especially when it comes to the supreme Master of the instrument, Chopin- why to 'separate' the two?:scratch2:
I think it's easier for them to choreographed along the known music.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
Even if they didn't know that Mirai was to re-use it, it'd be still a piece used by another elite skater just a season before. I am always amused how the fans react to a slightest critique of their favourite. And to answer your question: I am here to express my opinion like everyone else ;)

Wait... I thought you asked "some questions".. If you didn't want anyone with a different opinion to reply to them you just needed to add "rhetorical" before them... I didn't even understand that all you wanted was to bring some critique.... If I knew that I wouldn't even bother to reply...

The first question was "why would a skater choose one which is already been skated before"? - almost every top skater chose a music that has been skated before including Mirai

The second question was about version of music... Of course I gave you my opinion,because no one except Averbukh and Eteri could explain to you why they chose that version.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I honestly don't even think Mirai came into mind when Med and Eteri and co. made Evgenia's music choices.

icetigger

On the Ice
Big fan of THE LEFTOVERS show. Everyone should watch it.
And I would have never guessed that its haunting soundtrack would, one day, win Olympic Gold medal in the most competitive winter sports.

Haven't watched the third series yet, but the first two series were amazing. All I thought when hearing the soundtrack was that someone will end up ice skating to this though (and the Shibutani's did so last year, in a heavily disguised form, as it was mashed up with music from the Truman show). Plus it is also Max Richter who did On the nature of daylight which Weaver and POje skated to in 2016.

icetigger

On the Ice
I honestly don't even think Mirai came into mind when Med and Eteri and co. made Evgenia's music choices.

I think the most likely people to have come to mind were Mao and Yuzuru; whose Chopin skates are legendary ones.

That particular nocturne always reminds me Eva's Lament from Evita. Obviously Chopin didn't copy Andrew Lloyd Webber though.

Barb

Record Breaker
Honestly, I did not remember that Mirai had skated Chopin and I do not remember her program.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Honestly, I did not remember that Mirai had skated Chopin and I do not remember her program.

Same here...it didn't make any kind of impression whatsoever. I only remember that terrible ABBA cover she skated for her LP.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Exactly. I hardly remember and I saw it like 4 times last season nor did I make any association until reading from other people that Mirai skated to it. I just knew someone did :confused2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Whether any particular person remembers her Chopin SP or not, Mirai ranked fifth on the 2016-17 ISU Season's Best list for SP scores.

And she placed second in the SP at 2017 Nats.

So I would say that it was a successful program for her.

I do not believe that any skater "owns" any piece of music, and thus I do not believe that Mirai "owns" the Chopin piece.

But enough already with the disparaging comments :dev2:.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not believe that any skater "owns" any piece of music, and thus I do not believe that Mirai "owns" the Chopin piece.

Of course she doesn't which is kinda the point. Don't know why people keep bringing up "well so and so skated to it in the past" and this is hardly the first time in this thread. Skaters are free to skate to whatever they want.