2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Lota

Record Breaker
Lawrence of Arabia? I actually thought the music choice was right, but the cuts weren't - they should have emphasised the epic main theme more, I think she could have killed that, but instead it was barely in it at all.

I can't say that the Carmina Burana ever grew on me - I didn't care for this particular version. But then, she seemed not quite herself all season, and maybe if she can give it more energy, it could win me over. I hope it will, because I love Rika, and it was sad seeing her a shadow of her self last season.

Well she was injured for the majority of the season (bruised bone I think, although this fact wasn't very heavily publicized and thus many assumed she was just having a completely off season). I just hope she can get her confidence back, what with the injury and the "love" from the judges sending her a message that it's time to move over for the youngsters, I imagine it's difficult to get the motivation to move forward.

As for Lawrence of Arabia, yes, it was not a bad program, but I agree that the cuts could have been better.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well she was injured for the majority of the season (bruised bone I think, although this fact wasn't very heavily publicized and thus many assumed she was just having a completely off season). I just hope she can get her confidence back, what with the injury and the "love" from the judges sending her a message that it's time to move over for the youngsters, I imagine it's difficult to get the motivation to move forward.

As for Lawrence of Arabia, yes, it was not a bad program, but I agree that the cuts could have been better.

Yes, I knew she struggled with injuries last season, but didn't know the exact nature or when these problems started. I knew that things must have been bad indeed by Worlds', when she also had been competing prior, and then suddenly had to jump in as a sub. I understood why her energy levels were so low, and why she couldn't perform as one was used to seeing her. I think she did the best she could under those difficult circumstances, and I really felt for her.

I hope she can regain her confidence, as you say, and does not lose heart. She has her own charm, and energy, and personality. It may be hard to come back to where she was, but I hope she knows many are wishing her well.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Frida Kahlo...wow, great idea, that suits Rika. I wish her all the best in the World. I would love to see her at the Olympics, a true rise out of the ashes, but I know it's never going to happen. I think I never disagreed with the judges more than at Skate Canada last season. I thought it downright cruel what they did to her and I have a feeling that this might've been the moment where her career and confidence took the hardest blow, making it impossible to come back. I'm sad because she's the japanese Lady who had the most Akiko-ness. *sigh*

geige

On the Ice

It really was sad to see Rika last year written off by lots of fans, as well as by the judges (Skate Canada, for example). While it is unfortunate that her slump was caused by injury, I'm optimistic that she will be able to return to her former state, unlike Gracie, whose future is a little more in doubt. I would love to see her at the Olympics more than anything, but even if Japan had 3 spots (which it doesn't :dev2:), I have so many favorites within the Japanese ladies, so I will be heartbroken no matter what happens come December. I hope she can make this season a season to remember for herself. If not, she still is just 20, and competing at 24 is nowhere out of the ordinary.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Pink Floyd!! In Kovtun We Trust.

indeed, nothing more nothing less - I do think that those choices could 'zone' him nicely and be a good platform to be more powerful and confident in his skating. And I cannot wait to see Kovtun-flavored Flamenco. Hope that Pink Floyd cuts will be well made though for FS.

a selfish part of me tho wish that those choices would be Mikhail's ones...but I hope he'll get good programs/music choices too!

Weathergal

Medalist

Pink Floyd!! In Kovtun We Trust.

YES. A rock FP! Now I'm more excited for Skate America! And plus he does well with that genre. And yes I was one of few who liked his SP from the 2015-2016 season.

So many Spanish SP to come! I think we have a new trend in music choices :laugh:

indeed, nothing more nothing less - I do think that those choices could 'zone' him nicely and be a good platform to be more powerful and confident in his skating. And I cannot wait to see Kovtun-flavored Flamenco. Hope that Pink Floyd cuts will be well made though for FS.

a selfish part of me tho wish that those choices would be Mikhail's ones...but I hope he'll get good programs/music choices too!

I agree--I think these are great choices for Max. I have a soft spot for him, even though he can be maddening with his inconsistencies (and alleged poor training habits, if true). I didn't hate last year's LP actually, but I always thought his 2013-2014 Flamenco SP was one of his best programs.

His program from 2013 Rostelecom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GDjwfl0RKo

As a bonus, at the end there are some fun shots of Tat at the boards. :laugh: Unfortunately there's also a moment where one of the flower sweeper girls hits the ice. :(

When I saw Flamenco for his next season's SP, I was wondering if he's going back to this program - or if it will be something else.

liv

Record Breaker
Frida Kahlo...wow, great idea, that suits Rika. I wish her all the best in the World. I think I never disagreed with the judges more than at Skate Canada last season. I thought it downright cruel what they did to her and I have a feeling that this might've been the moment where her career and confidence took the hardest blow, making it impossible to come back. I'm sad because she's the japanese Lady who had the most Akiko-ness. *sigh*

I was at SC and we all loved her performance. It was a shock to us to see her scores.... hopefully her injuries are resolved and she can put last year behind her.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Marin Honda doing Turnadot......😕😒😔😔 But more importantly WHY was she assigned backtoback GPs?!?!?!??

Anyone know Mai's music for her fs? She desperately needs a piece that makes her stand out. Fingers crossed.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Anyone know Mai's music for her fs? She desperately needs a piece that makes her stand out. Fingers crossed.

its Ennio Morricone - Gabriel's Oboe choreo by David Wilson, i think it fits her style without being "princessy/chidish" :agree:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Marin Honda doing Turnadot......😕😒😔😔 But more importantly WHY was she assigned backtoback GPs?!?!?!??

Marin was 4th at Japanese Nationals. When you're starting off in seniors, you tend to get what you get. She was good enough to get two non-host spots so she isn't at home.

Mai Mihara's FS music is The Mission.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frida Kahlo...wow, great idea, that suits Rika. I wish her all the best in the World. I would love to see her at the Olympics, a true rise out of the ashes, but I know it's never going to happen. I think I never disagreed with the judges more than at Skate Canada last season. I thought it downright cruel what they did to her and I have a feeling that this might've been the moment where her career and confidence took the hardest blow, making it impossible to come back. I'm sad because she's the japanese Lady who had the most Akiko-ness. *sigh*

I'm intrigued with the mention of Frida. There are many songs in Frida, has there been any mention of specific songs?

ETA -- To answer a question written above, Rika sustained a bone bruise in one of her ankles. Apparently that is a very painful injury, and it takes a long time to heal.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm intrigued with the mention of Frida. There are many songs in Frida, has there been any mention of specific songs?

ETA -- To answer a question written above, Rika sustained a bone bruise in one of her ankles. Apparently that is a very painful injury, and it takes a long time to heal.

It is and it does. I hope she was able to heal fully.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Kovtun will have no program without British rockers. Question is which song will he do: The Wall?

---------

Anyone picked the Wonder Woman OST yet? It is screaming epic program. Daleman should have picked this one instead of Gladiator.

Evgenia Medvedeva 2017-2018 season music:
SP: Nocturne n.20 in C-Sharp Minor op.Posth (Joshua Bell version)
FP: January stars (George Winston) + Departure and Dona Nobis Pacem 2 (Max Richter)

Good choices... intriguing FS combo, but as usual it will be about building the emotions through the music edit than the substance of actual music intentions or truthful choreographic expressions... the Leftover track has a great emotional build up and giving enough that it can fit most choreographic style without strictly adhere to any music beat like a dance would. Now just count how many times she will mime throughout, first half killing time for half way bonus, then right at the end to the judging panel emotional facial time. Ha! Hope she will prove me wrong.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Everyone was bending backwards picking some form of Russian music programs @ last Olympics, wonder how many skaters may pick some other Korean music/theme this year. Will there ever be another Arirang on ice? There are so many great Korean Drama/Film OST to choose from. This is the season when it can count.

Looks like ZERO so far... ;)