2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Most of the programs that are being repeated I genuinely like so I have had no problems and of course skaters should do whatever they feel is best, but man, this is getting a bit excessive.. :think:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Do y'all think Ashley was all on board with making La La Land work, then heard about Hanyu's programs, and decided to do the same thing as him? :rolleye:

I'm not even sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm, or real, or shady towards Yuzu "the first and worst recycler ever", or shady towards Ashley who has to mimick that... or comments from Hanyu Fans that weren't even... here?

But truth be told, I also heard skaters only fall now because Yuzu made it cool in 2014. He's the bad influence of skating like that shady black wearing school drop out you need to keep your Kids away from.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
TSL tweeted that a top dance team will also use moulin Rouge. Do we know which one?

some time ago I recall that I read a piece somewhere that Tessa and Scott will use it as a FD, but it was said in a category of rumour, along with Gabriella and Guillaume's FD to be 'Moonlight Sonata' by Beethoven. Don't know if it is true - as for both FD pieces

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm not even sure if this is supposed to be sarcasm, or real, or shady towards Yuzu "the first and worst recycler ever", or shady towards Ashley who has to mimick that... or comments from Hanyu Fans that weren't even... here

It's not supposed to be shady towards anyone - it's genuine speculation. If I were Ashley and I wanted to re-use Moulin Rouge but was nervous about how fans and judges might respond negatively to that decision, but then a current World Champion and the most popular figure skater in the world decided to do exactly what I was thinking about doing, I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with going forward with a controversial decision. If Ashley's announcement for reusing her programs came before Hanyu's, she would be receiving 10000x more criticism than she is right now - but because Hanyu did it first, he's made it easier for other skaters who want to, as well.

And I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, or trying to "blame" Hanyu for Ashley's choice. Just observing what may be a ripple effect.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
was relatively unspoiled & havent been to this thread before but now Im here & checked the OPs (huge thanks for compiling ppl:bow:)

seems we're gonna get some Enrique & Marc Anthony this year!:yahoo: yayyy!

Tutto

Record Breaker
in Ashley's interview segment, she made it clear she wants an Olympic medal and she doesn't want a repeat of U.S. Nationals 2014, so I'm guess that might have driven the decision.

Whatever it is that hit the FS it spreads quicker than a plaque :) And yeah Hanyu's decision kinda made it easy for others to follow

Won't it be ironic if Hanyu & Ashley will fail their goals (second gold for Y. and a medal for A) after all

AliAle

On the Ice
Did anyone ever use the Cloud Atlas soundtrack for a program? I watched it the other day and the music is just glorious (and imho, so is the movie), especially the main piano theme. I could see P/C skating their FD to this, maybe combined with a more modern piece (they use Intro by M83 in the official trailer).

icetigger

On the Ice
Whatever it is that hit the FS it spreads quicker than a plaque :) And yeah Hanyu's decision kinda made it easy for others to follow

Won't it be ironic if Hanyu & Ashley will fail their goals (second gold for Y. and a medal for A) after all

i think there is something so be said in working on new material and creatively developing a programme and feeling that you are presenting something fresh, in terms of keeping the mind occupied, so that it doesn't become over-occupied on things that are outside of the actual skate (such as the competition itself): with this many repeats it will be interesting to see for whom the tactic of repeating a programme works out for and who it doesn't. I feel that with the Olympics being such big pressure competition, it may well be the one's with the new material that have an advantage when it comes to managing nerves and not imploding under the pressure.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
i think there is something so be said in working on new material and creatively developing a programme and feeling that you are presenting something fresh, in terms of keeping the mind occupied, so that it doesn't become over-occupied on things that are outside of the actual skate (such as the competition itself): with this many repeats it will be interesting to see for whom the tactic of repeating a programme works out for and who it doesn't. I feel that with the Olympics being such big pressure competition, it may well be the one's with the new material that have an advantage when it comes to managing nerves and not imploding under the pressure.

In the case of Ashley, it very well may be that her concussion issues make it difficult to keep the "mind occupied" with fresh material while also trying to improve her technical performance.

Or it could simply be that Raf took a look at the finished "La La Land" and nixed it.

At the very least, spending time on LLL probably did keep her mind fresher than skating all summer to "Moulin Rouge." And now she can start with a familiar program as a base and do a few new touches with it.

Tutto

Record Breaker

I agree. One could easily get 'over fixated' on skating clean at all costs which only adds to the pressure. Imagine, if Hanyu and Ashley will make mistakes after all - the reaction will be like: God, they couldn't skate clean even their old programs...
Apart from everything else I can't imagine how anyone willingly would subject themselves to listening to the same music third season day in day out, one season would be more than enough for me even if it was my most beloved piece of music ever :scratch2:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Ashley's announcement for reusing her programs came before Hanyu's, she would be receiving 10000x more criticism than she is right now

Agree. 100%.

Quote from Ashley in July 2017:

The concussions definitely rewired my brain in the way that I process information. My short-term memory is not that incredible; talking to me is a little bit like talking to Dory from "Finding Nemo" [laughing]. It's really affected me in the way that I learn programs because you have to memorize this choreography and the choreography is very intricate. So for me, retraining my brain to be able to learn choreography and be able to remember it, that's probably my biggest challenge.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...lks-concussions-costumes-collisions-body-2017

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. One could easily get 'over fixated' on skating clean at all costs which only adds to the pressure.

When I spoke of Ashley concentrating her energies on skating clean, I didn't mean in the moment of the competitions. I meant during the months of training ahead. And I have full confidence that both Hanyu and Ashley will be going deeper into these programs, changing things up some on the outside and some from the inside. That's why figure skaters talk about having more to develop in certain programs, but not all.

Imagine, if Hanyu and Ashley will make mistakes after all - the reaction will be like: God, they couldn't skate clean even their old programs...

Honestly I can't imagine anyone thinking this.

Apart from everything else I can't imagine how anyone willingly would subject themselves to listening to the same music third season day in day out, one season would be more than enough for me even if it was my most beloved piece of music ever

A reporter asked Tamara Moskvina why Mishketenok/Dmitriev were keeping their last season's Liebestraume program for the 1992 Olympic season. Tamara said, "Why do you keep your husband?"

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Moulin Rouge vs Phantom of the Opera, who wins the COP Carmen title

Ender

Match Penalty
A reporter asked Tamara Moskvina why Mishketenok/Dmitriev were keeping their last season's Liebestraume program for the 1992 Olympic season. Tamara said, "Why do you keep your husband?"
Yeah I never make a fuss why my favorite pianist love to play Mozart and Schumann all over again. Like it's their choice it's their career. Some opera singers only sing Baroque their whole career and it doesn't give them less to learn and practice. In fact they have to dig deeper into details because they're so invested and pro in their certain era.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's not supposed to be shady towards anyone - it's genuine speculation. If I were Ashley and I wanted to re-use Moulin Rouge but was nervous about how fans and judges might respond negatively to that decision, but then a current World Champion and the most popular figure skater in the world decided to do exactly what I was thinking about doing, I would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with going forward with a controversial decision. If Ashley's announcement for reusing her programs came before Hanyu's, she would be receiving 10000x more criticism than she is right now - but because Hanyu did it first, he's made it easier for other skaters who want to, as well.

And I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, or trying to "blame" Hanyu for Ashley's choice. Just observing what may be a ripple effect.

Except for the fact that Ashley has re-used Moulin Rouge before by complete own bravery. She has also announced to repeat Hip Hip again before, didn't she? Some of you make it sound like Yuzu now invented repeating programs. Patrick Chan - 3 time and reigning world champion that he was back then - went into the 2014 Olympics with 2 recycled programs. And the number of other skaters (and popular and successful ones at that) who recycled programs before is long. Like, really long. I mean, I'm one of the Hanyu fans here, and I feel that that's kind of overrating his influence there.

So if Ashley announced to repeat Moulin Rouge before Yuzu announced Chopin/Seimei, she would get more criticism (I'm not even sure I'd believe that, but let's role with it) - and would give a flip about that exactly why? Especially Ashley, who seems like a pretty "I'm doing my own thing" kinda lady, and because comments on a few internet platforms are such a huge big thing? The opinions that count are the judges'. You think the judges will sit there at the Olys, watching Ashely LP and think to themselves "Man, she's repeating a program - I would have so marked that down, but since ~Yuzuru Hanyu~ said before he'd do that too, I just can't now! :drama: ". Doesn't sound all that plausible to me.

Ender

Match Penalty
I'm still holding on to a sliver of hope that that tweet was wrong...la la land seemed so promising 😭
Let me try to be humorous, maybe the sudden decisions to walk away from La La Land was mainly due to the fate of the film at the Oscar... we know what happened.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan - 3 time and reigning world champion that he was back then - went into the 2014 Olympics with 2 recycled programs.

This always, always makes me laugh because it is oh so conveniently forgotten by some!

You think the judges will sit there at the Olys, watching Ashely LP and think to themselves "Man, she's repeating a program - I would have so marked that down, but since ~Yuzuru Hanyu~ said before he'd do that too, I just can't now! :drama: ".

:laugh:
He's the Skater That Was Promised. How dare you not respect his influence. Tsk tsk.

On a serious note, Ashley, like a seasoned competitor that she is, made her own choice about her own programs. Shock, horror. That's it. Good on her for calculating what is going to give her the best chance this season and going for it.
A tiny reminder - everyone is allowed to make the same choices too, and this is not in any way unfair to other skaters.