Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
No ... shocking & sad :( I am literally gobsmacked, literally void in mind so I can't force myself to write more about it at this moment. :shocked: My heart literally stopped for a while wen I noticed this title / news.

I think that these were injuries that procured Mao to make that decision. Either way I guess she'll share her unmatched skating more in the future. I am pretty sure she made the best, thoughtful decision.

Thank you for everything Mao! For all the beauty & reasons for happiness.

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am so sad to hear this but Mao knows herself, I am glad she made a decision that was right for her. As much as I dislike Sandra Bezics commentary what she said about Michelle during her iconic fields of gold exhibition is true for Mao too. Success isn't measured by a gold medal- Mao is an icon of the sport, she is one of the greats irregardless of Olympic Gold.

I hope she continues to gift us with her beautiful skating in her post Competitive career.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
"Mao-chan" is currently trending worldwide on Twitter :luv17:

Mao Asada in the 2010 Olympics was the real reason I got into figure skating. Watching her and Yuna Kim battle it out for Olympic gold was one of the most exciting things I could watch for my first figure skating competition. After Vancouver, watching her go through many hardships around 2011 and 2012, seeing her have to reinvent her jump technique, and then come back strong in 2013 was a roller coaster ride as a fan. Watching her Olympic SP was absolutely heartbreaking, but then seeing her triumphantly return with a career-best, 8-triple free skate (which I woke up early for and then cried through the entire thing) was one of my biggest moments of following this sport.

I feel like as a fan, I've been through the highest highs and the lowest lows with Mao. But never once have I doubted her love and dedication to this sport. When I heard she was returning to competition, I was overjoyed. But I was sad when I kept hearing about injuries and disappointing results. Mao loves skating to much, so retiring must be hard for her. However, I hope she knows how much of an impact she's had on skating in general. Her fans adore her, and the sport has to thank her for making history time and time again. Mao Asada paved the pay for ladies doing the 3A, especially in Japan, and her legacy continues! She's one of the rare athletes to have won Worlds 3 times, and have won every single Grand Prix competition INCLUDING the final! As a longtime fan of hers, and a fan of skating in general, I thank you Mao Asada. Thank you for introducing me to the sport I love to watch!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Phil Hersh tweeted this tribute 2 hours ago

Anyone who likes figure skating - & sport - is going to miss the wondrous Mao Asada, who announced her retirement today. Class, guts, glory

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mao made a classy retirement decision and announcement befitting her brilliant career. I wish her happiness and success in her post competition life and hope she will bestow us more beautiful skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Mao Asada, for giving me hope that young prodigy talents can develop into mature artists.

Congratulations on a wonderful career.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So unexpected... :sad21: But I guess better now than waiting for next season. Wish her all the best in whatever she chooses to do :hap10:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao had a long (13 years), wonderful career. If she could have kept competing, she would have, but her body just couldn't handle it any more. She will be sorely missed.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I'm heartbroken, Mao and Yuna are epitome of figure skating for me and the reason why I'm so in love in this sport, I can't believe both of them are retired now. Thank you for everything, Mao; for your glorious career, majestic skating and inspiring personality, I wish you only the best and hope to see you on ice for once a while (as much as possible sob).

LRK

Record Breaker
What?! Oh, no!

I can only wish her the best, and thank her for all the beautful skates she's given us. (Swan Lake and Rach 2 especially.)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought she would have a rebuilding Grand Prix and then add difficulty as the Olympics got closer. She went all out with the difficulty at the last Japanese nationals which I thought was a little strange because she hadn't been having the best season. I was hoping she'd continue as she was great and I believe could have done well but she had a amazing career and unforgettable performances! She showed the advantages of being technically bold and the pitfalls. Hope she's at Japan open many many years.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's really like the end of an era.

It IS just like that...You know, the first time I really remember Mao is from a decade ago...:drama: I can't believe it's been 10 years. Anyway, it was the year that Miki won Worlds and it was really close between she and Mao. This was right after Shizuka had won the OGM and I thought it was nice to see that Japan was in the very capable hands of these new skaters. Shizuka, Miki, and Mao can be proud of their legacy and how they kept Japanese skating at or near the top of the Skating World during their time on the ice. IMO, this is a perfect for Mao to move on. Team japan is in a very strong position right now and after her long and successful career, I think she can look in the mirror with pride for a job well done.

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
for me she will always be the queen. For her i became a fan of skating. For her i cried, i laughed, i got excited, i got angry, i lied at work and school to see her compete (oops), i did not sleep to watch her to compete. For her i went to see my first live competition and i almost died frozen in the attempt, colorado winter is not a joke. i think she gave everything, and she owes nothing at all. The only thing i regret is that i feel she always gave a lot more than she got from figure skating. Now i hope that being more relaxed can continue showing her beautiful skating.

I'm sorry if i'm being very melodramatic, since i know she's not dying but this news is horrible for me.

this

jaylee

Medalist
Thank you Mao for your beautiful skating and amazing contributions to the sport! Your performances will never be forgotten, your results are etched in history and you will be remembered as a legend.

Retirement is not a permanent goodbye. Hope you enjoy life to its fullest and I hope we continue to see your performances on ice from time to time.

petitebrie

On the Ice
She is truly a magical skater, and I have endless respect for the strength of character she must have had to commit to creating that magic; for herself, for all of us, for all those years.

I second the petition for a "Best of Mao" youtube playlist, I want to let it run on repeat all night.