Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A class act - both on and off the ice. Thank you for everything Mao. You asked so little but gave so much. So glad I saw Mao's amazing Madame Butterfly at Boston Worlds. Her performances at Skate America of her Manuel de Falla programs and her Bach Cello Suite EX will be etched in my mind and my heart forever! I hope she continues with her THE ICE ice shows. Thank you Mao.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you Mao for so many memories. Your grace, passion and soul always shined through your skating, you are truly a Legend!
Love Mao and her skating!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
No! Mao! I'm so shocked right now. But if she herself says she doesn't want to compete anymore, than that's good. What a career! I will certainly miss her and I agree, I don't think this last season was wasted at all. Two great programs from a great artist. I hope she will continue to do shows, so we can see her from time to time, like Daisuke. What a skater, what a woman. Thank you, Mao.

Poice

Final Flight
I love her so much! She will always be one of my favourite figure skaters.Thank you Mao for wonderful performances, tears of joy but also sadness :sad46:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I, too, want to thank Mao for everything she has given us. For her impressive technical ability when she came onto the scene, for her artistic development through the years, for her amazing triple axel and for her stubborness in pursuing it, for reworking her technique while keeping competing, for the emotional rollercoaster that was Sochi (her FP was so epic and she was such a fighter, even if she messed it up in the SP she came back on the ice and skated with all her pride).
Whatever the reason behind her decision, whether it's her physical condition or a lack of motivation, I hope she's serene and she has no regrets.
What a career she's had, and her skating is such a joy to watch; I hope she will skate in shows. I wish her all the best in her professional and private life.
Mao :bow: :clap:

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's like the air went out of the room. I'll just be watching all of her old clips. Here's a list:

1. GPF 2005 - Nutcracker FS
  2. W 2007 - Czardas FS
  3. OG 2010 - Masquerade SP
  4. W 2010 - Bells of Moscow FS
  5. Japan Nationals 2011 - Liebestraum FS
  6. 4CC 2013 - Swan Lake FS
  7. OG 2014 - Rach 2 FS
  8. OG 2014 - "Smile" EX
  9. W 2014 - Chopin SP
  10. W 2016 - Madame Butterfly FS
  11. W 2016 - "Mary Poppins" EX

There were too many gorgeous performances for the ages. Truly a legend. I'll miss her so very much. Thank you for everything. :cry:

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
It was the privilege and honor for me to witness Mao Asada's career since her junior years, what can I say, thank you for incredible decade and memories you gave us all. May your future life be happy, you will be greatly missed!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This news is far from unexpected, but it feels like a punch in the guts never the less... I can't do much but echo the sentiments everyone already expressed in this thread - Mao gave so much to this sport, she had the talent, the heart, the determination and most of all the bravery to share it all with us. She will forever be one of the all time greats and one of my absolute personal favorites, with many beautiful, heartfelt performances that will never be forgotten or grow old on me.

Hopefully she really doesn't feel like she has anything to regret (I know she said she doesn't, but please let me be melodramatic and say I hope it isn't Mao trying to be brave for her fans or anything like that), and hopefully she finds whatever it is she is looking for in her future. It makes it a bit easier to accept that I know respect, admiration and love will follow her wherever she goes, because she has earned that with years and years of hard work and being such a classy, respectful young woman. Whatever she decides to do on the future, she will always have my support, and I know that of many other fans as well.

sweetwater

On the Ice
I knew this day was coming but was still dreaming of her coming back in good shape in Olympic season. This doesn’t feel real to me yet. But thank you Mao, for taking me to the ice rink. To be able to witness you skating through good times and bad times was a blessing. Don’t know what your next step is, but always wishing you to be happy and healthy.

musicfan80

Medalist
Not surprised by this news, but I wish Mao all the best. She is one of the greatest of all time.

I hope that she will perform in shows. I would be excited if she came and performed in the U.S. or Canada.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Im so Sad.. My skating fandom basically has grew up with Mao. I started watching obsessively since the days she was a tiny little thing beating Slutskaya and Arakawa at the 2005 GPF.

That said, it its the right decission. She's no longer in her prime and with only 2 spots its honorable to step aside and leave the new generations fight for them.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I remember the first time I saw Mao skate. It was the team event at the 2014 Olympics. I was completely enamored with her short program dress. Then I watched her programs at Worlds that year and fell in love. That year's short is still one of my all-time favorite programs. Since then, I've added many of her other programs to that list. Mao has become one of my favorite skaters (I think it was the step sequences that did it!) and getting to see her live last year at Worlds was an incredible privilege.

That being said, it's always hard to say goodbye to a legend of the skating world, but this retirement is particularly tough to take. Mao was (and is) incredibly special and I'm going to miss her so much (as will many, many others, as is made clear by reading this thread). Even so, I'm sure that this was the right decision for her at this point in her life and I hope whatever path she takes post-skating brings her happiness and fulfillment.

Mao- best wishes for your future, and thank you so much for all the incredible performances. Your skating brought so much joy to so many people (and your step sequences will never be topped).

On the bright side, there's always YouTube, and I gotta say, few other skaters have left us as many great programs to rewatch as Mao. :yes:

Last edited:

nguyhm

On the Ice
The timing of her announcing her retirement shows that she has given skating all her best and I'm forever grateful for that. I will miss Mao dearly but I wish her the best in her future endeavors. She will always shine brightly in whichever paths she chooses going forward.

omurice

Rinkside
Oh man I was not ready for this. So sad to hear this news :sad4: Thank you Mao for your beautiful skating and for so many years of hard work and dedication. Her Sochi free skate will forever be an inspiration to me. I hope for her success in whatever her future endeavors may be!!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She seems at peace with her decision, and that is the most important thing.

Beautiful skater. She will be sorely missed. That FS at Sochi was just so epic!

Suze

Rinkside
I'm at work taking a break and am now in tears. I don't know why I'm so shocked by this news but I'm overcome with emotion and can't think of anything at the moment. So just a plain, I'll miss you Mao, until I can collect my thoughts. 😥

begin

Medalist
Not unexpected but I'm still sitting here crying. Thank you for everything, Mao♥