Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

richster106

Spectator
Thank you and Brava Miss Asada.
You are a huge inspiration, and I wish you the best! You know you truly are loved.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Last edited:

Sam L

Medalist
She'll be missed. It's hard to stay motivated when you're not at your best anymore. But she gave us a lifetime of memories and she'll be remembered as the Queen of the triple Axel and one of the best ever figure skaters in history. I look forward to what she'll do going forward.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING...:cry:

I really expected her to at least compete next season, whether or not she thinks she'll be able to make the Olympic team. So I was not ready for this at all.

Mao, you have always been among my top favourite skaters. I'm devastated to see you go, but I'm glad that you are doing what you think is right. You are a legend and a superstar of this sport, and even though this past season was a struggle, that legend status will never change. Beautiful programs, beautiful skating, and many more - I'll never forget them ever. Thank you for being in the figure skating world, Mao. Thank you for being a figure skater.

(side note: is it possible to see Mao at Japan Open this year? :cheer:)

MiRΓ©

Match Penalty
I wish her nothing but the best. I will never forget her FS from Sochi as that to me is who Mao is. A true fighter and a hero, an inspiration to many!

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Aww Nobu got really emotional talking about Mao-Chan's retirement and burst into tears :(

aa456

On the Ice
I'm glad I made those trips to Boston and Chicago to see her live. Immensely sad that I will never be able to see those step sequences live again.

My earliest memory of Mao is her Clair De Lune SP. She was ethereal then, she's ethereal now. As someone else said on this thread, to me she's the one female skater who truly came close to perfection. Girl had it all during her career: difficult jumps, step sequences to die for, flexibility, beautiful spirals, spins, skating skills, immense musicality, grace and presence. It was just an issue of timing and consistency. And you know what, that doesn't even matter. Because vast majority of the skaters can only dream of the things she was able to achieve even with all the set backs. Mao is a fighter and always challenged herself. It was our pleasure and great fortune to see her compete for so long. I wish her all the happiness in the world.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I was so expecting Mao to win in Vancouver over Yuna at that time, but now I have got over it. Winning so many people's hearts with her outstanding skating is already an incomparable achievement. Thank you, Mao! We will miss you!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Nobody expected this but I believe it is the right decision. If she won Vancouver she might have retired in 2010. She already mede tremendous effort to stay competitive till Sochi. I expect to see her in a lot shows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No matter what you thought about Mao's skating recently or even past she was and is a wonderful champion and an amazing talent. She will still have her dedicated fans. I am shocked but not shocked. We all in a way maybe hope we would see her rebound to be honest many of us knew this would not be easy - coming back. She may very well have missed "her" olympics because she was too young But instead of wondering what if or what would we should be thankful what we did see. Sure it would have been nice to see her end on a Sarah Meier moment but fairytales are rare. Even Sasha Cohen, Josee Chouinard, Michelle Kwan, Babilona and Gardner, Fumie Suguri, Elvis Stoijko. Maria Butyrskaya, Elena Sokolova, Julia soldatt et all ended on sad notes. Like a story unfinished. But let's not be sad but happy for Mao for she has a new chapter and unlike others her future is bright and hopeful. Just different than we expected. Some poster wrote that they hope to see Carolina end on a happy note in Italy after the 2018 olympics. Someone as classy and great as her. But just remember her winning a medal will be at the cost of some other skater and maybe deserving skater. I would love to see patrick chan get a gold medal in singles skating for himself and for Canada and to end the streak so to speak It won't happen but we have to remember we all have favourites and there is usually only one gold medal.

royce

Rinkside
My all-time fave lady. I expected her to retire after 2018 but maaaan, she's one of those skaters who should have won it all. Her grit and determination are truly inspiring. I'm gonna miss her so much. She gave so much to figure skating, and I'm so honored to have watched her in the past seven years. My only regret is not getting to see her competing live. What a treat that would have been. I wish her all the best and for her to be successful and happy in her future endeavors.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Typical. I stay away from The Edge until I get the Men's FS from Worlds watched to avoid finding out the results, and when I return, this is the first thing I see.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

La reine est mort, vive la reine!

(OK, so she's only retired. But, you know what I mean!)

I have to be honest, I am not surprised that this announcement has come before the Olympic season. It may sound trivial, but it was very noticable that when the British Eurosport guys were talking about how competitive the Ladies field was in Japan, and about how many very good skaters missed out on being selected for Worlds, they never once mentioned Mao's name. It is not that long ago that leaving her out of the conversation would have been unthinkable. So, I think that said a lot about where Mao was in the rankings.

Normally, if somebody announced their retirement the season before the Olympics, I would think they were mad. That was what I thought when the rumours started about Misha Ge. But, his situation is different as he was in a position where he was practically guaranteed an Olympic slot. So, yes, he may be in demand as a choreographer. But, he still would have been assured of competing in Pyeongchang.

With Mao, I totally understand her decision. Recent competitions have shown that she is not in the running for an Olympic slot. So, better to bow out now rather than put herself through the agony of not being selected.

It is always hard to know whether it is right to come back from a sabbatical or not. Whilst you were sitting out, others have been pushing the boundaries. Some can adjust to the new expectations straight away, like Virtue and Moir. For some it can take a little longer, but they can get there, like Patrick Chan. And then there are others that don't.

I am probably biased because I am a massive fan, but I have no doubt that if she had been from a different country, Mao could have adjusted a lot quicker. For me, there were signs that the old sparkle was still there. But, the ultra-competitive nature of the Japanese Ladies field meant that there were other things to deal with.

The comeback may not have been as successful as the first part of her career. But, it will not take away from the glorious memories we have.

I really hope she gets the send off she deserves at the WTT Gala.

This has to be the most appropriate video for this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8vp-2X2rM

Simon Reed pretty much says it all. And watching it again did set the tears off.

I will miss My Queen.

Thank you for everything.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

gravy

ΒΏNo ven quiΓ©n soy yo?
Record Breaker
Surprised that I teared up earlier today while reading this. While I truly love figure skating, I didn't think I was too emotionally invested in a skater. Oh, Mao, you proved me wrong. :sad21:

Then I watched my favorite exhibition of hers and teared up again.

On broken wings
My heart has taken flight

:cry:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Surprised that I teared up earlier today while reading this. While I truly love figure skating, I didn't think I was too emotionally invested in a skater. Oh, Mao, you proved me wrong. :sad21:

Then I watched my favorite exhibition of hers and teared up again.

On broken wings
My heart has taken flight

:cry:

OMG... I am shocked ... you have a heart.... :laugh2:

gravy

ΒΏNo ven quiΓ©n soy yo?
Record Breaker
OMG... I am shocked ... you have a heart.... :laugh2:

Those were exactly my thoughts to be honest. I read the news and felt this weird sound emanating from my chest... I Googled it and found out it was my heart beating!

To say I was astonished would be an understatement. :drama:

#ThingsOnlyMaoDoes

She's like a modern day Wizard of Oz and I'm the Tin Man.

Esopian

Final Flight
Congratulations to Mao on completing a wonderful career! :luv17: :clap:

I'm sad to see her go, but I'm glad if this her ultimate decision to hang up her competitive skates after all she's accomplished. It was wonderful to see her live at the TrophΓ©e de France in 2016 to witness her beauty even without the jumps at full form. Thank you Mao-chan for creating sheer art on ice! :thank: